Sony Apparently Trademarks a New PS Vita 3000 Model

damon8r351

According to this story here, Sony Computer Entertainment has apparently filed a trademark on April 1st for what looks like a new Vita model, and I don't read Japanese but Neogaf seems to think it's a PS Vita 300 model. All sorts of rampant speculation abound, like a new HDMI port and L2/R2 triggers. So when (if) this comes out, I will have surely spiked my old Vita over some yet to be unnamed frustrating game and be in the market for a new one (I might be joking).

Also, please address all concerns on the apparent murder/suicide pact between the Vita and Western gamers and developers here or here.

• Like 3

I can't see the L2/R2 triggers everyone is on about. It looks like the outline for the camera (it juts out a bit, if I recall).

I honestly can't see any difference between this and the profile of the latest, 2000 model. Perhaps someone could enlighten me why anyone thinks this is a new product based on these images?

vita is dead to hardcore gamers...my vita has been collecting dust for years now. 3000 version sounds good but if there are no AAA titles or games from well known developers, than there is no reason to purchase it. I can easily play indie titles on my pc or my tablet/phone. 

Just another way to milk the hardcore fan base. 

Meanwhile they're doing jack shit to secure ground breaking games for the vita. 

The vita is dead, re-releasing it in another form won't change that. 

I highly doubt they plan to give a 8-9 + hour battery life and make it open to all SD memory cards either. 

R2 and L2 buttons would be nice, but that would require Sony putting some effort in with the Vita and we all know that isn't going to happen. 

So IF they bring those 3 things to the new and improved vita, I'll buy it, anything less then that and I'll pass.

• Like 1

Just a what if question here:

What if a new Vita model was announced at E3. It removes some of its older model's features, like the back touch pad and a camera. This will make the games that utilise it not backwards compatible. However, additional features include the trigger buttons and Hdmi port.

A whole wave of AAA games from many publishers is also announced, effectively a launch line up (these would only 've compatible on the new model) .The New Vita has upgraded specs, giving a ps3/high end IPad quality. Would you buy it? Only some games would be backwards compatible, but would you think the gains outweigh the losses?

I don't know if Sony would release another model unless it is a huge revamp, I doubt they gained profit on the Vita 2000 model.

Edited by Saltyie

lol there aren't any L2/R2 triggers on that trademark design, I've come to find out that people on the internet are just bad at interpreting those sorts of things. I guess they think there are triggers due to the camera outline on the side-view? it actually just looks exactly like the Vita 2000

• Like 1

I hope this one at least supports multiple users. I doubt it's going to happen, but I can hope :(

Having released it in China, it'd be in their best interests if they did, though.

Still, I thought the 2000 looked really ugly and cheap compared to the original. If mine ever breaks I'm probably going to look for another 1000 rather than get one of those.

Also, this doesn't look like it has trigger buttons. The Vita just has small indents behind the bumpers, unless that's not what people are talking about.

Yeah, it's pretty clear there's a certain lack of comprehension involved in this, both in the interpretation of the design and the "vita is dead" comments that keep popping up and the belief that non-AAA games and mobile games are the same thing  :facepalm:

It's pretty clear that there are no additional buttons in that design. The dev version of the Vita already had an HDMI port so for all we know this is just an updated version of that and nothing regular gamers, hardcore or otherwise  :rolleyes: , will ever see.

Edited by ScutumMagister
  • Like 2

A game doesn't need to be AAA or from a "well known" developer to be 'hardcore'. I've played plenty of games from lesser known studios that are much harder than AAA games.

A hardcore gamer doesn't mean a gamer who plays hard games.

Hardcore gamer = Me, you, and almost everyone in this forum.

OT: The only way I'll buy a Vita is if they allow 3rd party memory, full support, and imports (PSO2)

OT: The only way I'll buy a Vita is if they allow 3rd party memory, full support, and imports (PSO2)

The Vita isn't region-locked, you can still import. If you just mean Phantasy Star Online 2, it's a DDoS security measure they're slowly lifting.  Most IPs can play at this point. :)

A whole wave of AAA games from many publishers is also announced, effectively a launch line up (these would only 've compatible on the new model).

This would hurt me. If a new model is to be revealed at E3, they will be stupid not to barrage the audience with plenty of high quality titles alongside. I am personally quietly anticipating a Gravity Rush 2 reveal.

• Like 1

99% of SD cards out there are garbage for nitty-gritty dependability and reliability. Sony was right for developing cards they control the specs on and can have a high level of QC on. Sony dropped prices once, but should drop prices again and licence out the technology to third parties, but maintain high QC.

Read/write speeds and bit accuracy on most cards people consider "affordable" are completely undependable.

It's highly unlikely (and I would call Sony stupid if they did it) that any new Vitas will use SD cards. The developer models have had HDMI though, so if they did release a new model with a more efficient screen and processor that gives even longer battery life *and* an HDMI port, I would absolutely buy one.

• Like 4

Japan doesn't celebrate April Fool's. April 1st is the start of the fiscal year in Japan.

BREAK

Also as I noted in the original post, please address all "Vita is dead" concerns here.

except that there'a a shit ton of April Fool's joke on the 1st of April >.>

Still, thats what makes it difficult for news released on that particular date to be taken seriously. Some ended up being true like that Dragon Quest Heroes 2 but some others are just a mean tease. With that, am gonna upgrade my Vita if it turns out to be true heh

except that there'a a shit ton of April Fool's joke on the 1st of April >.>

The merger of Squaresoft and Enix was announced in Japan on April 1st as well (as noted in the article), and it was thought to be a joke then. Long story short, Squeenix is now a thing, and April 1st is a Western holiday. It may well be bunk, but a lot of things have been announced in that turned out to be true.

Edited by damon8r351

Wouldn't an HDMI port on the consumer model essentially kill the PSTV? Maybe it's a card reader for PSP cards? Also I'm not seeing any of these triggers that anyone is talking about. With the exception of a few new unknown boxes on the sides, It looks almost identical to the 2000.

Wouldn't an HDMI port on the consumer model essentially kill the PSTV? Maybe it's a card reader for PSP cards? Also I'm not seeing any of these triggers that anyone is talking about. With the exception of a few new unknown boxes on the sides, It looks almost identical to the 2000.

Nii... PSP uses UMDs.

220px-UMD.jpg

Or do you mean the cards for the savegames and stuff?

310xwuVxgdL.jpg

I guess this would be crap, because there is microSD-to-MSPDcard-Adapter... As someone before already said, there are many crap cards available.

People would buy the cheapest possible, what results in "mimimi that loadingtimes! Fuck Sony is unable to do good handhelds! mimimi"