Reviews

AusGamers: 10/10

There is no question in my mind that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has been worth the wait. It’s sheer scale and absolution in content, alongside its surprisingly strong narrative -- both in the main quest lines, and the peripheral ones around them -- is delivered with a maturity rarely ever seen in games of this scope. There’s Triple-A gaming, and then there’s The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Destructoid: 8/10

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a huge step up from its predecessor, mostly because it manages to tell a more compelling and personal tale. At the same time, that intimate feel is juxtaposed against a gigantic, sprawling open-world adventure that may hit some snags along the way but still comes out on top.

Eurogamer: Score: N/A

However, while Skyrim (for all its majesty) often sent you on quests hewn from glum fantasy cliché at the behest of a series of plastic-faced nobodies, CD Projekt's work feels richer and more humane. If anything, Wild Hunt recalls Rockstar's cowboy epic Red Dead Redemption - and not just because both games let you trot about on horseback.

GameInformer: 9.75/10

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt encompasses what I hope is the future of RPGs. It stands out for its wonderful writing, variety of quests and things to do in the world, and how your choices have impact in interesting ways. Usually something is sacrificed when creating a world this ambitious, but everything felt right on cue. I still think about some of my choices and how intriguing they turned out – for better or worse.

GamesRadar: 4/5

I dearly hope that the 'day zero' patch eliminates The Witcher 3’s technical issues. They’re the main blemish on an otherwise rich and lengthy RPG. Even so, The Witcher 3 represents a generational leap in world design and fidelity, and is a spectacle that deserves to be savoured at its very best.

Gamespot: 10/10

This is one of the best role-playing games ever crafted, a titan among giants and the standard-setter for all such games going forward. Where the Witcher 2 sputtered to a halt, The Witcher 3 is always in a crescendo, crafting battle scenarios that constantly one-up the last, until you reach the explosive finale and recover in the glow of the game's quiet denouement. But while the grand clashes are captivating, it is the moments between conflicts, when you drink with the local clans and bask in a trobairitz's song, that are truly inspiring.

Gametrailers Video Review: 9.8/10

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a thoughtful, diverse, and frequently awe-inspiring adventure. Its stories are deep and satisfying, unafraid to touch on themes of personal character, presenting players with choices and consequences that aren't about turning into a hero or a villain. In the end, its simply one of the best RPGs ever made.

IGN: 9.3/10

But each time I stepped off the well-beaten path to blaze my own trail, it turned into a wild, open, exhilarating fantasy roleplaying experience, rife with opportunities to make use of its excellent combat. Even after over 100 hours with The Witcher 3, it still tempts me to press on – there’s so much more I want to learn, and hunt.

Impulse Gamer: 5/5

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt is one of the best RPG’s that I have ever played and after the previous game, I really didn’t know what to expect because that game was so good. This game has got characters that you actually care about, a story that is very engaging from the get go and almost flawless gaming mechanics.

Kotaku: YES

Wild Hunt is a grand adventure that feels distinctly of its time. It manages to set new standards for video game technology while accentuating the fleeting nature of technological achievement as an end unto itself. It is a worthy exploration of friendship and family, mixing scenes of great sorrow with scenes of ridiculous lustiness, tempering its melancholy with bright splashes of joy and merry monster guts. Come for the epic showdown between good and evil; stay for the unicorn sex.

PlaystationTrophies: 92/100

It’s one of the most unique, distinctive, vast and varied western RPGs I’ve played in years and it contains hundreds of brilliant stories that you simply must experience. Buy it, stick it in your disc tray, pull the curtains and prepare to be transported. You won't want to leave the house for weeks.

Pocket-Lint: 5/5

If you're a fan of Fallout, Skyrim, or any Witcher game before it, then The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a must buy. As real-time role-playing games go there are few better.

The Verge: Score N/A

The latest entry in the Polish role playing series is essentially what would happen if you mashed up Game of Thrones and Grand Theft Auto.

VideoGamer: Review in Progress

I found myself enjoying a majority of the side quests that appeared along the way, desperate to find out more about each character they introduced. The sub-par combat can be compensated for, the cumbersome world navigation at times forgiven, but the frustrating and ever-present framerate and other performance issues become a hindrance on the overall experience, to the point where it became as big a talking point as any storyline

• Like 4

AusGamers: 10/10

There is no question in my mind that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has been worth the wait. It’s sheer scale and absolution in content, alongside its surprisingly strong narrative -- both in the main quest lines, and the peripheral ones around them -- is delivered with a maturity rarely ever seen in games of this scope. There’s Triple-A gaming, and then there’s The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Destructoid: 8/10

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a huge step up from its predecessor, mostly because it manages to tell a more compelling and personal tale. At the same time, that intimate feel is juxtaposed against a gigantic, sprawling open-world adventure that may hit some snags along the way but still comes out on top.

Eurogamer: Score: N/A

However, while Skyrim (for all its majesty) often sent you on quests hewn from glum fantasy cliché at the behest of a series of plastic-faced nobodies, CD Projekt's work feels richer and more humane. If anything, Wild Hunt recalls Rockstar's cowboy epic Red Dead Redemption - and not just because both games let you trot about on horseback.

GameInformer: 9.75/10

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt encompasses what I hope is the future of RPGs. It stands out for its wonderful writing, variety of quests and things to do in the world, and how your choices have impact in interesting ways. Usually something is sacrificed when creating a world this ambitious, but everything felt right on cue. I still think about some of my choices and how intriguing they turned out – for better or worse.

GamesRadar: 4/5

I dearly hope that the 'day zero' patch eliminates The Witcher 3’s technical issues. They’re the main blemish on an otherwise rich and lengthy RPG. Even so, The Witcher 3 represents a generational leap in world design and fidelity, and is a spectacle that deserves to be savoured at its very best.

Gamespot: 10/10

This is one of the best role-playing games ever crafted, a titan among giants and the standard-setter for all such games going forward. Where the Witcher 2 sputtered to a halt, The Witcher 3 is always in a crescendo, crafting battle scenarios that constantly one-up the last, until you reach the explosive finale and recover in the glow of the game's quiet denouement. But while the grand clashes are captivating, it is the moments between conflicts, when you drink with the local clans and bask in a trobairitz's song, that are truly inspiring.

Gametrailers Video Review: 9.8/10

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a thoughtful, diverse, and frequently awe-inspiring adventure. Its stories are deep and satisfying, unafraid to touch on themes of personal character, presenting players with choices and consequences that aren't about turning into a hero or a villain. In the end, its simply one of the best RPGs ever made.

IGN: 9.3/10

But each time I stepped off the well-beaten path to blaze my own trail, it turned into a wild, open, exhilarating fantasy roleplaying experience, rife with opportunities to make use of its excellent combat. Even after over 100 hours with The Witcher 3, it still tempts me to press on – there’s so much more I want to learn, and hunt.

Impulse Gamer: 5/5

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt is one of the best RPG’s that I have ever played and after the previous game, I really didn’t know what to expect because that game was so good. This game has got characters that you actually care about, a story that is very engaging from the get go and almost flawless gaming mechanics.

Kotaku: YES

Wild Hunt is a grand adventure that feels distinctly of its time. It manages to set new standards for video game technology while accentuating the fleeting nature of technological achievement as an end unto itself. It is a worthy exploration of friendship and family, mixing scenes of great sorrow with scenes of ridiculous lustiness, tempering its melancholy with bright splashes of joy and merry monster guts. Come for the epic showdown between good and evil; stay for the unicorn sex.

PlaystationTrophies: 92/100

It’s one of the most unique, distinctive, vast and varied western RPGs I’ve played in years and it contains hundreds of brilliant stories that you simply must experience. Buy it, stick it in your disc tray, pull the curtains and prepare to be transported. You won't want to leave the house for weeks.

Pocket-Lint: 5/5

If you're a fan of Fallout, Skyrim, or any Witcher game before it, then The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a must buy. As real-time role-playing games go there are few better.

The Verge: Score N/A

The latest entry in the Polish role playing series is essentially what would happen if you mashed up Game of Thrones and Grand Theft Auto.

VideoGamer: Review in Progress

I found myself enjoying a majority of the side quests that appeared along the way, desperate to find out more about each character they introduced. The sub-par combat can be compensated for, the cumbersome world navigation at times forgiven, but the frustrating and ever-present framerate and other performance issues become a hindrance on the overall experience, to the point where it became as big a talking point as any storyline

Saltyie, Eurogamer has now given the game a rating of "Essential".