PS4 Community Features?

PleaseHoldOn

Hey guys, one thing I'm finding myself enjoying on other services is the ability to snap screenshots and record video, and post them up for people to see.  Whether it's strangers or people on my friends list.  And to see everything that they're up to.  Comment on stuff.  Generally participate in the community.

With the PS4, the ability to take pictures/video is there... but it kind of seems like it's all farmed out to Twitter, Youtube and however many other services they work with.  Making this kind of fun community interaction less of 'one click away' and more of a process of hunting down people's Youtube channels and maintaining accounts and friends and links just to see it all.  Am I wrong in this analysis?  I don't have very many people on my friends list since this is a new account and the few I do have aren't terribly active (mostly from other services where the Playstation plays second fiddle)... so maybe I'm missing something?  I know there's an activity feed.  Do the interesting things that people post show up on there?  Maybe I just need more active friends on PSN.

If possible I'd really like to avoid having to maintain information from twenty different services just to have that kind of interaction with people on PSN.  Any thoughts are appreciated. ;)

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

The PS4 has social features?? Hmm... Oh, you must mean the crap my PSN friends click on their own system to bug me by flooding my inbox with notifications.

And that's something social, same thing that happens on Facebook, but something tells me that you don't have a Facebook account.

That's one thing they really need; Imgur integration. It's easier for me to upload 3DS screens on Imgur than to upload PS4 ones...

Noooo... not another third party service.  They need to enhance PSN to include a way to upload your screenshots to the network.  Then you should just be able to view all of your friends screens and videos from a click of a button, either on the console or on the website.  Now that'd be perfect.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

Oh right, this is all about keeping it on PSN lol

Well, I think videos at the very least can be shared through PSN, since I've at least seen one friend's video pop up in the activity feed. Thing with all this is that it's better for other services to host media. I could see Sony at least maybe hosting screens, but not video. I don't see the extra infrastructure they'd need to be worth it.

I feel the main services they use (two of which they already do) should be YouTube, Twitch and Imgur, and share across PSN through them.

Edited by TriggerTortoise

All I have seen from the "social" aspects of the PS4 is my growing list of bears you might know.

I am not sure how this list started but my wife asked me a couple of weeks ago why my PS4 had decided to suggest over 50 gentlemen who all have half naked facebook pics attached to their PSN as playas I might know.

My missus has begun to wonder if I am exprienceing some sort of mid life crisis .....

Oddly I have one mutual friend with the bear collection and its always the same friend.

• Like 1