How to get my Wii U ready to sell (factory restore)?

PleaseHoldOn

So the Wii U experiment didn't work out so well.  Had fun for a week or so, then it largely collected dust... not enough games I'm interested in (knew the risk going in), and I'm not really even playing the ones I did want.  On top of that, I'm out of work starting next week, so I think I'd rather eat the loss and recoup some extra spending money from the whole ordeal.

Yeah, I'm selling the Wii U.

I want to wipe the whole darn thing... save games, downloads, my Nintendo ID... everything.  But I want to do it right, on the off chance I ever get a new Wii U or Nintendo console down the road and want to use the same Nintendo ID (I hear it's locked to this console) and I don't want whomever ends up with this to somehow get into my account.

Is there an all-in-one guide to where I need to go and what I need to do?  Some places are saying I just need to format the storage device, others say I need to disable my account in the eShop.  Any clarity is appreciated if someone out here has some info.  If not, i'll try over at a Nintendo forum. ;)

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Tried?

I feel like the Nintendo ID side of things is a little more complicated than that?  Maybe someone can correct me.

Though what I'm reading, it sounds like once I create a Nintendo ID, it's tied to that one console for life (what a dumb feature lol, consoles never break I guess).  So maybe if I wipe everything then it's removing the users and my Nintendo ID link as well.  Killing two birds with one stone.

I feel like the Nintendo ID side of things is a little more complicated than that?  Maybe someone can correct me.

Though what I'm reading, it sounds like once I create a Nintendo ID, it's tied to that one console for life (what a dumb feature lol, consoles never break I guess).  So maybe if I wipe everything then it's removing the users and my Nintendo ID link as well.  Killing two birds with one stone.

Had to leave to buy food, did you actually succeed with that though?

I don't quite sure believe in that 1 account thing, seems to me that the account can only be attached to any 1 console at any given time. Haven't looked much into it though, just thought that from the comments on the video.

I feel like the Nintendo ID side of things is a little more complicated than that? Maybe someone can correct me.

Though what I'm reading, it sounds like once I create a Nintendo ID, it's tied to that one console for life (what a dumb feature lol, consoles never break I guess). So maybe if I wipe everything then it's removing the users and my Nintendo ID link as well. Killing two birds with one stone.

It is tied to the console but when you get a new console, as long as you remember your details, you can call Nintendo customer support and they will unlink it for you. I've gone through countless 3DS's and had to unlink my account, but luckily it only takes 5 minutes in non-peak times. They just ask you some questions to prove the account is yours and then it's done.

Edited by Makise Kurisu

I just wiped the storage on my Wii U, seemed like it did the trick.  I don't want to get rid of my Nintendo ID incase I want to use it somewhere down the road... but as long as my Wii U "user" is gone and the system is back to the factory default, I think whomever I sell this to won't be able to do anything devious.

I wonder if I can call Nintendo and unlink my Nintendo ID just because...

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I just wiped the storage on my Wii U, seemed like it did the trick.  I don't want to get rid of my Nintendo ID incase I want to use it somewhere down the road... but as long as my Wii U "user" is gone and the system is back to the factory default, I think whomever I sell this to won't be able to do anything devious.

I wonder if I can call Nintendo and unlink my Nintendo ID just because...

I can imagine that wouldn't be an issue, they should unlink it for you.