Why should I play this again?

Sir_Bee

I stopped playing this game when I was level 27, before even the first expansion came out.  I stopped because I hated the grind for gear, just to be able to play content to get a new gear to start the grind again.  Now that the game is in its "year 2" I was hoping that some people who are here and play the game could tell me why its worth playing again?  I am not looking for "dude, play it because its awesome", I was hoping for more specific improvements.  Some examples of things I did not like are as follows.

- Is the leveling system better, or is it still a terrible grind to make any progress?

- Does it still have the problem where you can play a strike for 30+ min, and finish getting some crap gear you can't even use, thus completely wasting your time?

- Is there more to do now, or are you running the same bounties over and over just killing things in the hopes of getting that material to level your gear?

- Is it still just as difficult to get exotics or legendaries?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

1- Is the leveling system better, or is it still a terrible grind to make any progress?

2- Does it still have the problem where you can play a strike for 30+ min, and finish getting some crap gear you can't even use, thus completely wasting your time?

3- Is there more to do now, or are you running the same bounties over and over just killing things in the hopes of getting that material to level your gear?

4- Is it still just as difficult to get exotics or legendaries?

1- Way better, it's so easy that you don't need to put effort into it. Getting armor is the worst part though.

2- Partially. You can get stuff you can use, maybe a leggie engram and possibly some coins or motes of light. Playing 3 strikes in a row without going back to orbit or quit matchmaking gives you extra rewards.

3- Only if you have DLC. If you don't, you have a lot of old content locked away from you. You don't have as many options of strikes playlists as you had before, per example.

4- for exotics, if you don't own DLC, it got harder as you can't do NF anymore. You can still run VoG hard with all 3 characters and pray for something good out of the Exotic Chest or Atheon. Leggies still drop frequently from VoG, but don't expect to see any from crucible now. You can commonly get some leg engrams while playing PvE though, I got 3 post TTK patch (4 days until now), opposed to one on the 4 months I played prior.

Which platform do you play, by the way? (I'm supposing PS4, since the game is among a lot of PS4 games on your list).

Edited by TheYuriG

1- Way better, it's so easy that you don't need to put effort into it. Getting armor is the worst part though.

2- Partially. You can get stuff you can use, maybe a leggie engram and possibly some coins or motes of light. Playing 3 strikes in a row without going back to orbit or quit matchmaking gives you extra rewards.

3- Only if you have DLC. If you don't, you have a lot of old content locked away from you. You don't have as many options of strikes playlists as you had before, per example.

4- for exotics, if you don't own DLC, it got harder as you can't do NF anymore. You can still run VoG hard with all 3 characters and pray for something good out of the Exotic Chest or Atheon. Leggies still drop frequently from VoG, but don't expect to see any from crucible now. You can commonly get some leg engrams while playing PvE though, I got 3 post TTK patch (4 days until now), opposed to one on the 4 months I played prior.

Which platform do you play, by the way? (I'm supposing PS4, since the game is among a lot of PS4 games on your list).

Yes, I play on the ps4.  I will probably take a look at the new systems over the next week or two, and if I like it, I may pick up TTK and the other DLC.  I liked the game when I started it, but once I hit that brick wall of light levels it get really boring really quickly.

Yes, I play on the ps4.  I will probably take a look at the new systems over the next week or two, and if I like it, I may pick up TTK and the other DLC.  I liked the game when I started it, but once I hit that brick wall of light levels it get really boring really quickly.

To pick up TTK, you are forced to have the other DLCs. TTK dlc promoted the biggest apartheid I've ever seen in any online game before. Anyone without DLC will easily be shit when playing with TTK people, it's impossible to get any stat up enough to be relevant when being 34. If you don't get the TTK, don't play the game at all, it's my advice. It isn't worth your time.

To pick up TTK, you are forced to have the other DLCs. TTK dlc promoted the biggest apartheid I've ever seen in any online game before. Anyone without DLC will easily be shit when playing with TTK people, it's impossible to get any stat up enough to be relevant when being 34. If you don't get the TTK, don't play the game at all, it's my advice. It isn't worth your time.

I appreciate the advice.  I am going to check the game out to see if I like the new mechanics before I spend any money on it.  If I decide to play the game again, I will buy all the DLC, but I want something to pull me back to it first.

I appreciate the advice.  I am going to check the game out to see if I like the new mechanics before I spend any money on it.  If I decide to play the game again, I will buy all the DLC, but I want something to pull me back to it first.

You can find major improvements that I didn't mention, since I only answered your questions.

• Cutscenes are now skippable.
  • Patrol missions give good glimmer, 250 at least. They don't take long to do and totally kill your need to farm glimmer on mars. (suggest activating some prior to do bounties).
  • You don't become easily underleveled by doing story missions. You actually should be about 2-3 levels above every mission, given you follow the quests and visit the tower whenever asked to.
  • Motes of light and strange coins aren't rare anymore. Expect to swim on them by barely doing the bounties every day and logging off (I had 80 SC and 180MoL). Weekly strike died.
  • Bounties actually gives rewards now. Expect to get motes, strange coins and engrams from turning them in.
  • You can level up a faction and vanguard/crucible at the same time.

If you dont have the dlc it might be worth it to just pick up the disc copy. With TKK and the previous ones digital is like $75. Canadian retail for TKK with all of it is $80. Not sure how much you save on data on disc though. Just a thought.

If you didnt like it before, I doubt you're going to like it much better now. You're really going to be disappointed if you only pick up vanilla Destiny and don't try out any of the new dlc stuff to do. If you do happen to get the expansions, you're still going to find that same brick wall once you reach level 40. This wall isn't quite as hard to get over as it was last year though.

Yuri pretty much summed everything up. The only thing that I'd like to add is that there is story now...at least with TTK. Nathan Fillion does a remarkable job as Cayde and lightening the entire mood of the game. Destiny should have been this way from the beginning.

• Like 1