Should I Buy It?

MMDE

Yes!

Judging by the numbers of owners of this game, I'd say it's very much overlooked, and currently on sale, so I thought I'd make a thread about it. :)

Nobody has the platinum?!?! Currently one of the trophies require you to beat all the "normal" levels in the modes solo, co-op and race. While people has beat all the "normal" levels in solo and race, I think the problem is with the co-op, because this is local co-op. You would need a good co-op partner with lots of spare time, or share play (if that works). But this will soon be changed in a patch so you only need a co-op partner for some few levels, which if can be done through share-play shouldn't be too hard or take all that long.

That is not to say the game isn't a good challenge, some levels may be quite difficult as well, but you don't need to get all the collectibles for other than the introduction levels, which isn't that hard.

So what is the game like? It's an old school 2D platformer game based on a popular flash game with almost the same name. This game has local co-op, race and of course solo levels. The game has many thousand levels.

http://dorkshelf.com/2015/09/23/the-secret-world-of-n/

^ The game even has tons of secrets and extra levels etc.

The game also have a level editor, where you can create your own levels and share them with others etc.

The controls and gameplay is extremely fluid and smooth. Absolutely no kind of frame rate drops or latency of any kind that I've ever noticed (except for a strange bug due to the servers, which they fixed).

I was kinda skeptical at the price before the sale, which was like 20USD or something, but I'll admit I was wrong, it would have been well worth the price before the sale too, and right now it's a steal. :)

If you're into 2D platformers, this game will entertain you for hundreds of hours. :) Not sure what the plat time would be, but I'm guessing estimated like 50-100 hours if all you are out after is the plat.

You know, if the plat was obtainable.

It looks like a lot of fun, just know that at least one trophy is currently glitched.

Games been out quite some time and the trophy still hasnt been patched, not lookin good tbh. 

???

The trophy is not glitched and the trophy is obtainable. In fact, I explained in the opening post how to get the plat. You just gotta beat all the normal levels (solo, co-op and race). Why nobody has got the plat yet is because nobody has done this yet. Beating all the co-op levels require a solid co-op partner with a lot of time on their hands, and it's local co-op, so unless you share play, it's gotta be someone you know who can come to you and play etc.

Good news is, they will lower the requirement with a patch they are working on, so it won't require the co-op levels.

As for it taking a little while, apparently the main programmer has another job now and he doesn't have the time to do as much work on the game. They seem pretty active with the project still. They may want to release some DLCs later on, and maybe port it to steam. They responded to a server issue they had in a matter of a couple of hours on facebook, and in that time actually fixed the issue too. I don't see any reason to be pessimistic about if a patch will be released. The patch will contain a couple of other fixes too, so it's not just for that one trophy.

Edited by MMDE

???

The trophy is not glitched and the trophy is obtainable. In fact, I explained in the opening post how to get the plat. You just gotta beat all the normal levels (solo, co-op and race). Why nobody has got the plat yet is because nobody has done this yet. Beating all the co-op levels require a solid co-op partner with a lot of time on their hands, and it's local co-op, so unless you share play, it's gotta be someone you know who can come to you and play etc.

Good news is, they will lower the requirement with a patch they are working on, so it won't require the co-op levels.

As for it taking a little while, apparently the main programmer has another job now and he doesn't have the time to do as much work on the game. They seem pretty active with the project still. They may want to release some DLCs later on, and maybe port it to steam. They responded to a server issue they had in a matter of a couple of hours on facebook, and in that time actually fixed the issue too. I don't see any reason to be pessimistic about if a patch will be released. The patch will contain a couple of other fixes too, so it's not just for that one trophy.

Think you're a bit misunderstood dude, the glitched trophy no one has is navigating the options menu, not the coop trophy. 

So they are still working on the game, and have every intention to release that patch.

But its good to hear that they'll fix it eventually. I wouldnt hold my breath though, this game was advertised to come out soon after the ps4 did and then blinked out of existence for 2 years. I'll be glad to be proven wrong though, so I hope they release it. 

Think you're a bit misunderstood dude, the glitched trophy no one has is navigating the options menu, not the coop trophy. 

I'm 100% sure you're mistaken, because it has to do with the co-op. You unlock stuff like color filters and options in the menu as you beat levels. There's even one option for collecting all gold in 25 episodes in normal solo levels. You have to unlock all of this to explore the entire option menu, and currently one of the requirements is to beat all the normal (non-secret) levels all of the three modes, solo, co-op and race. There are far less race and co-op levels, but there is a good chunk of them, and they do require a solid local co-op player (though shareplay may work), which is why nobody has unlocked the option yet. This is also why they want to lower the requirement to just be beating all the normal solo and race levels.

But its good to hear that they'll fix it eventually. I wouldnt hold my breath though, this game was advertised to come out soon after the ps4 did and then blinked out of existence for 2 years. I'll be glad to be proven wrong though, so I hope they release it. 

As I said, it doesn't need a fix, but they are nice enough to lower the requirement, because nobody has been able to do it yet. You can go get the plat if you want, and be the only one currently with it, but I think far more people will get it when they change the requirements. I can ask them about an estimated release date for the patch.

EDIT:

I asked them now, I will tell you guys when I get a reply! :)

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

I'm 100% sure you're mistaken, because it has to do with the co-op. You unlock stuff like color filters and options in the menu as you beat levels. There's even one option for collecting all gold in 25 episodes in normal solo levels. You have to unlock all of this to explore the entire option menu, and currently one of the requirements is to beat all the normal (non-secret) levels all of the three modes, solo, co-op and race. There are far less race and co-op levels, but there is a good chunk of them, and they do require a solid local co-op player (though shareplay may work), which is why nobody has unlocked the option yet. This is also why they want to lower the requirement to just be beating all the normal solo and race levels.

As I said, it doesn't need a fix, but they are nice enough to lower the requirement, because nobody has been able to do it yet. You can go get the plat if you want, and be the only one currently with it, but I think far more people will get it when they change the requirements. I can ask them about an estimated release date for the patch.

EDIT:

I stand corrected dude, pretty vague description they gave of the trophy though :P. Well hopefully its sooner rather than later, and everyone waiting can get their plat. I'll hold off on buying this for now since ive got enough stuff to get through on my backlog already. 

I stand corrected dude, pretty vague description they gave of the trophy though :P. Well hopefully its sooner rather than later, and everyone waiting can get their plat. I'll hold off on buying this for now since ive got enough stuff to get through on my backlog already. 

Yeah, it's a vague trophy description for those who hasn't played the game. :P When you first start the game, you will see that the options menu has a lot of options that are grayed out. Some of the options are actually pretty strange and fun. Some very useful, one I had to look up what even did, which was sort of a joke option. One is for example connected to the secret levels.

From their blog:

"And, though not a bug, no one has yet managed to unlock the Platinum trophy by beating all of the levels in the game (including Co-op and Race). Rest assured, all of these issues will be addressed in an upcoming patch."

http://www.metanetsoftware.com/blog/2015/moving-forward

There it also says why the patch is taking a bit longer than they would want it to.

Edited by MMDE

I can ask them about an estimated release date for the patch.

EDIT:

If you wondered... They told me this...

metanet2.png

So it looks like the patch should be released this month or early next month.

The patch can't come soon enough for me. It literally can't, because I just had a save file corruption. I had done all gold on all intro, more than the three first rows of normal solo where I had like 24 all-gold episodes and a good chunk of legacy where I too had several all-gold. Half of all race levels. Yeah, I knew about the glitch, but I thought I had a backup on PSN cloud, but nope, that was overwritten with the corrupted save before I noticed the save was corrupted. So I had to start all over... Did the all-gold intro in less than an hour, and done with first row and three from second with 15 all-gold, but that took way longer. unsure emoticon Now I'm taking backup to USB and transferring it to PC each time I quit the game or have made decent progress. The copy to USB takes over 3 minutes due to the save file being so big and the PS4 being extremely slow to copy to USB, while it somehow uploads to PSN cloud in a matter of seconds, even if my internet is garbage (kinda puzzled by this).

So beware of this and make sure that you keep two backups, one of the last save and one of the before that, because then you can always go back to a working save if the new one is corrupt.

I know this is one of the things they are fixing with the patch though, this and an issue where if the server is overloaded the game keeps using a lot of resources to contact the server and this affects what I else can't say is anything but flawless input latency for a game like this. I only experienced this one time though, and I reported it and they said they did a fix on the server to prevent this from happening again.

I'm loving the game, so I will just replay the whole thing, just extra frustrating to have trouble with a level when I know I already did it before. Doesn't take that much time the second time around, because you've learned tricks for how to beat the levels and get all-gold etc. I think I got more all-gold on first row now than before. I think I had 10 or 11 before, now I got 12, and 3 all-gold on first three episodes of second row. I had just ran through the race levels anyways, and only spent like 2 hours on that or so. I'm guessing I lost like 15 hours of progress total, or at least that's how long I guess it will take me to replay it. I had however spent far more time on doing this the first time around.

It's really too bad the game has these issues. :( But the plat is not one of 'em, but I'm still glad they will reduce the requirement.

Edited by MMDE

I stand corrected dude, pretty vague description they gave of the trophy though  :P. Well hopefully its sooner rather than later, and everyone waiting can get their plat. I'll hold off on buying this for now since ive got enough stuff to get through on my backlog already. 

Now the game is no longer on discounted sale. They said they would never discount it in the first place, so I don't expect there to many more sales on this title to be honest.

As for patch...

patchmetanet.png

So it seems they are really aiming for releasing this patch within the month. :)

And I've made it past the point I was when my save file got corrupted, and I've made sure to back it all up every time I quit the game, and keep the backup from the time before if the current save is corrupted.

Not had the issue since, but don't wanna ruin my progress. Almost beat all race episodes now, intro, n++ and legacy. Like 10 or 11 episodes or something left. Each episode consist of 5 levels, so that's 50-55 levels. xD Done with intro solo, done a bit more than 3 and a half row of n++ solo, getting closer to one row of legacy solo. Soooo many levels! xD Anyways, when all of that stuff is done, I just miss some few co-op levels to be done with share play, and I should be prepared for plat when the patch comes! :D The latter levels are pretty requiring though.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've got the trophy now! ^^ Such a great game. Very intense though. They patched it some weeks ago, but haven't had time to play since the patch. My very last save file that I backed up before the patch was corrupted. rofl The corrupt saves was one thing they was going to fix, and I haven't had any issues with that since the patch, just crazy how the very last save I made got corrupted. The second to last was of course just fine. Had to redo a lot of hard levels, but they weren't that hard when I had already done them once.

EDIT:

Judging by the first obtainers of the trophy, it seems the patch was released 2nd December.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

Very cool. Just out of curiosity what would you personally rate this game difficulty wise? And how long approx would it take somebody doing it all from the start? I plan on adding this to the ps4 Challenge Accepted ps4 thread when it goes up in late jam, just want to make sure it still fits.

Very cool. Just out of curiosity what would you personally rate this game difficulty wise? And how long approx would it take somebody doing it all from the start? I plan on adding this to the ps4 Challenge Accepted ps4 thread when it goes up in late jam, just want to make sure it still fits.

Oh, I really don't know about the difficulty. It's at least 7/10, if not closer to 8-10/10. :P Depends a bit on how good you are with these kinds of games. I know people are rating LBP2 like 7-8/10 and stuff, and to me, that's like a 3-4/10, and to me this game was like 7-8/10. I doubt just anyone will be able to beat all the levels. It requires a lot of skills and patience. Some levels you can do in first attempt, while others you may die a lot and have to retry a hundred times until you figure out a safe route and exactly what you should do. Even when you figure it out, you still gotta pull it off and so you gotta practice a bit. You don't have "lives" or anything, you just restart the level when you die. You can also just press triangle to restart the level. You don't have any attacks or anything, just jumping and avoiding stuff.

The tutorial is amazing, and consist of quite a lot of levels! It slowly introduces you to new elements while the difficulty slowly increases. You gotta get all the gold on those levels for a trophy, but this isn't hard and learns you a lot about how to play the game.

What is hard trophy wise about the game is beating all the normal solo levels in N++ and Legacy mode (which includes the extra hard ones). When I got stuck on a level, I just kept playing it over and over, and over time I made it further and further in the level until I eventually finished it. In any case, it's totally doable, but it's very requiring!

The time depends on how quick you beat the levels. I guess you can finish each of the 1200 levels in like 1-2 mins each, which would be like 30 hours, but you're probably going to get stuck on some levels and so the time might be like 2-5 times as much. Then there's the intro levels (tutorial) and some co-op levels, but that stuff shouldn't take that long. I lost a save and I got gold on all the tutorial levels in literally less than an hour.

I'm glad they didn't require all co-op levels for the platinum, that'd be hell, but they initially did.

I'm also glad not getting gold on all levels is a requirement too. They could even have gone with beat all the secret levels as well, but not only would I never have got gold on all levels, but unlocking the secret levels would require me to get gold on all levels and do a lot of really difficult challenges at all the levels too. xD

This level, I thought it'd be impossible for me, but I did it in like 30 attempts or something! :P

Rofl, while I was searching for a level on youtube, I found this video:

I made that level! xD I've made tons of levels, it's a nice break after being stuck on a level for a while.

Here's an example of a level that requires a lot of trail and error IMO:

At first you may die before you even get up the first jump, especially second, but later you can do almost entire level without even being near dying at all.

If you wonder about the colors etc, you can pick between a lot of different color schemes. You unlock them as you beat levels.

Then there's levels like this:

With lots of shadows, this one is a bit fun, not that hard really.

I never thought I'd be able to do the two following:

^ from 1:43, I mean, it requires a lot of skills, trail and error and you gotta rush a lot.

EDIT: urgh, couldn't find the other level I wanted to show.

I got so mad at this level:

I hope this clears up all the questions you had and maybe inform others what the game is like.

If you are decent at platformer games, and you got enough will power, I'd say it's doable.

The music that is playing in most of these videos, it's from the game.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, KuomintangROC said:

yes,must buy1f601.pngI have completed all trophies!!!

Yeah, it is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.

And compared to SMB it's trophy list is far more forgiving, and the game allows you to instant retry. Once you instant retry, you won't go back.

• 9 months later...