This game is a masterpiece!

QuentinCle95

It's an enjoyable experience if you like these types of games.   I thought the characterisation and dialogue was quite well done, whether you liked the characters or not, it had an authentic, natural feel to it, mostly.    The atmosphere was decent too, often at times calm and peaceful, yet had a nice eerie vibe throughout, almost a 'picnic at hanging rock' vibe.   The story/mystery drew me in but yeah, it let's itself down a little towards the end.   Some of the underlying themes were handled quite well too, escaping the reality of ones own life, the need for connections etc...  For what it is, it was good fun, but I borrowed it, so I've no idea how I might have assessed the game if I had paid for it, especially full price.   It might be a touch too pedestrian for some, but I appreciated the experience it tried to create.   I think ^we've established it's not a masterpiece^, but it is a game worth playing.   I wouldn't be surprised to see Firewatch as a Plus game at some point, and it'd be a good one too for varying reasons. 

Edited by RedMustang72
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

It's not a "masterpiece" but it is a very pleasant, easy to complete walking sim that has very nice environment, decent enough story. 

I had been waiting for it to go on sale for an age, and its certainly worth £5 for an afternoons chillout.

BUT.. unlike some other games of the genre, Dear Esther, Abzu, Journey, Edith Finch, etc etc, I don't feel it has any replay value at all. Play it once, enjoy it, but that's really it. It's not a go back to time and again game. 

On 20/02/2016 at 2:30 PM, Fermented_Human said:

The game is decent, definitely not a masterpiece, IMO. The plot itself was interesting enough, the landscape looks nice. But game play wise? One of the most boring games I've played in a long time. The dialogue isn't even as great as people make it out to be.

This^

The story was ok but ultimately though, this game bored the pants off the me and the pacing was slow at best and glacial at worst, plus the dialogue was painfully bad at times.

Masterpiece, this ain't - not even close and is one of the most overrated games I've ever played.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.