Sony shuts down Sony Liverpool aka Psygnosis (Wipeout dev)

Lady Lilith

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/08/wireduk-studio-liverpool-closed/

wipeout2048-660x374.jpg

Wipeout 2048 for PlayStation Vita is the final game from Studio Liverpool. Sony shut down the venerable development studio on Wednesday.

Image: Sony

Sony has closed down its Liverpool studio, a veteran game developer of almost 30 years that has had a hand in iconic franchises like Wipeout and Lemmings.

partner_wireduk.gif

The studio started life as Psygnosis, and was founded by Ian Hetherington and David Lawson in 1984. It was one of the best-known developer and publishers on the Amiga computer — infamous for its iconic owl logo and the distinctive artwork on its boxes.

It produced games like Deep Space, Barbarian and Obliterator, published the visually ambitiousShadow of the Beast, and brought Lemmings — the memorable puzzle game from DMA Design (nowGrand Theft Auto developer Rockstar North) — into the world.

In 1993, the company was acquired by Sony, ahead of the 1995 launch of the PlayStation. It still published games, but also developed titles like G-Police and Colony Wars.

But its standout hit was the futuristic anti-grav racer Wipeout. A platform-defining game, it featured a killer electronic soundtrack with artists like the Chemical Brothers and Aphex Twin and a striking visual style by since-shuttered Sheffield-based graphic design studio The Designers Republic.

In 1999, the company was fully merged into Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, and rebranded as SCE Studio Liverpool. Since then, the company has been responsible for Formula One and Wipeoutgames for various PlayStation consoles. Its last game was the gorgeous Wipeout 2048 for Vita.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Sony said, “By focusing our investment plans on other studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers.”

“Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years,” read the statement. “Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements.”

On Twitter, technical director Stuart Lovergrove wrote, “Well [it's] game over for Studio Liverpool… [it's] been a fun eight years for me.” SCEE audio lead Sandy Lobban said, “End of an era today for Studio Liverpool. Honoured to have been a part of it.”

Too bad, and I haven't even played a single Wipeout game. I kinda liked Extreme G on the N64 though.

Marketing rules ... I will never understand...

Bye bye Studio Liverpool.

But when they said:

"By focusing our investment plans on other studios that are currently working on exciting new projects"

what they mean? What Exciting projects? A killer application for PSS Vita? I don't think so.