psngames.org - Potential security risk

CitizenElf

Hey guys, just thought some of you might like to know that there is currently a potential security risk to our accounts due to a company called psngames.org. Below is a copy/paste of the status I posted on Facebook last night regarding the matter:

I have just spent my night locking down my PSN account after an apparently fraudulent company called psngames.org has been selling my account information to other people so that they can access my account to download and play the games I have personally purchased. Luckily I was logged in at the time and was able to quickly put a hold on the intrusions. I cannot know for certain how many people were sold my data, but two of them have contacted me about it, and were kind enough to explain to me where they had gotten my account login from (and provide the screenshot I've attached).

Please avoid this company at all costs, as what they are doing not only breaks PSN & XBL terms of service, but it is also highly illegal.

And to stress the seriousness of this - I have had no previous exposure to this company, I wasn't even aware they existed before they sold my account. My account was secure. My password for PSN at the time has never been shared with any other account for any website or service. This indicates that there has possibly been a breach of the PSN and XBL networks and I HIGHLY recommend anybody who has accounts on these networks change their passwords immediately, and add extra security features if possible.

I would hate to think what could happen to somebody if they had payment details stored on their account in a situation like this.

UPDATE 1: psngames.org have been extremely unhelpful after contacting them. Through their website I got a response along the lines of "I'll tell the boss so he can get onto the supplier". They're ignoring my emails and Facebook messages, and deleting my posts to their wall. Please share this post so that everyone is aware of their methods of acquiring the accounts they sell.

UPDATE 2: psngames.org have reached out to me and apologised (however, they have done this privately after continually removing my public posts to their page instead of doing what a self-respecting company would do and address the issue with a public apology before continuing private discussions). They have told me they are bringing up the issue with their supplier, and offered me a "free game" as compensation, which I blatantly refused to accept due to their dodgy business model. PlayStation Australia, and PlayStation Europe have both been notified of the incident, and are collaborating together to make a full investigation into psngames.org.

12799350_10207453815637363_6264190419493

At this stage it's unknown if what transpired was an isolated incident, or the result of a larger breach that may be effecting multiple users. As mentioned, I'd highly suggest everybody does a password reset for their PSN accounts just in case. Either way, this company's business model involves acquiring accounts from an alleged supplier, and that when someone buys a "game" from them, they give that person the account details to an account in their possession that has digitally purchased the game. It all just seems highly suspicious, but the company continues to play dumb so far.

• Like 3

I understand that that's where they probably get most of their accounts from, but my PSN account shares no passwords with any other of my personal accounts (besides Sony Entertainment Network as the accounts are linked). I thought people should be aware of the potential intrusions to their accounts as I had no previous interactions with the company before they attempted to sell my account. I've run several scans on my PC and no key loggers have been found so I'm completely at a loss as to how they gained access to my account details.

Was able to change my password by going directly to playstation.com and choosing to sign in. Guess there was something off about that link. Thanks for heads up

For what it's worth, Akamai is a content delivery network company that rents out server capacity to big businesses like McAfee, Apple or Sony to help them deliver their content faster. What you're browser was probably hitting on was that you were accessing a (totally legit) copy of the website on an Akamai server

For what it's worth, Akamai is a content delivery network company that rents out server capacity to big businesses like McAfee, Apple or Sony to help them deliver their content faster. What you're browser was probably hitting on was that you were accessing a (totally legit) copy of the website on an Akamai server

Ah okay, that's good to know. Thanks for the info.