Has Doom a review embargo?

T-100

Eh? It really doesn't cost much if done correctly, and they are likely already paying. You can tell this is not on their mind when they don't even give it as a reason, when what they gave as a reason was as bad as it was.

Without knowing the Doom developers specific circumstances, let's pretend money isn't a factor (though I'd be willing to bet they don't pointlessly dump cash into maintaining production level server operation throughout the development cycle).

Let's just call it "a needless complication during an already stressful period directly prior to launch"... having to maintain them (and risk premature reviews should something go awry in the final preparation stages that typically would go unnoticed) solely for reviewers to jerk around on.  It's understandable either way, IMO.

Edited by Dreakon13

Without knowing the Doom developers specific circumstances, let's say money isn't a factor (though I'd be willing to bet they don't pointlessly dump cash into maintaining production level server operation throughout the development cycle).  Let's just call it "a needless complication during an already stressful period directly prior launch" having to maintain them solely for reviewers to jerk around on.  It's understandable either way, IMO.

And the last thing they probably need are bad reviews because they felt obligated to flip a switch prematurely and things went awry before the game was even out.

I'd say you're completely wrong. They've already got the production servers up running before releae, and they should have tested them before release as well. It's not something they do days before release, then it's too late if there's something that isn't working as it should. They've already put money into it, and they're already doing tests on the servers to make sure they are ready for release, so allowing reviewers to play on them at that time wouldn't be a big problem.

It's one thing to note that they won't get a "real" experience without a lot of players, but the servers are ready long before the release date, and they're already paying for it. :P

Anyway, their given reasons are shit, like just stating that they won't take the server online for the public before release or that the single player can't be played before release date, so reviewers can get an early hands-on experience with that and don't need to wait until release to do a review of both online and offline content, when offline could have been done before release.

The game better have some invasion feature or something... I mean, that'd be a surprise they'd want to keep until release, but what's the chances?

We know from the beta tests that many of the old fans didn't like it, because they had done certain changes to the gameplay that contrasts what is typical of many of the old arena MP shooters.

I'd say you're completely wrong.

Well, neither of us really know.  So... *shrug*

EDIT: You can test something without having it cranked up 24/7.  I'd argue they didn't even have things going 100% for the open beta.  But that's just how I would probably do it.  It's safer to keep some things internal until you absolutely have to.

Edited by Dreakon13

80-90 :) most of the initial thoughts reviews have been very positive surprisingly

I'm not sure why they couldn't just reviewers the chance to finish offline single player before launch, now they have to rush through it...

Idk... IGN has it at 7.1 atm, but that's without online content.

GameSpot isn't that happy about it either.

IIRC, the online MP betas got pretty bad reviews on steam:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/04/18/doom-open-beta-gets-hellish-reviews-on-steam/

I'm guessing 65-85, but most likely the score will end up at around 75.

Edited by MMDE

Idk... IGN has it at 7.1 atm, but that's without online content. I'm not sure why they couldn't just reviewers the chance to finish offline single player before launch.

GameSpot isn't that happy about it either.

IIRC, the online MP betas got pretty bad reviews on steam:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/04/18/doom-open-beta-gets-hellish-reviews-on-steam/

I'm guessing 65-85, but most likely the score will end up at around 75.

Gamespots review in prog is positive as hell(lol) http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-review-in-progress/1100-6439804/

The main gripe been texture loads and will the fun last.

Have not looked at IGN yet. Tbh both games pot and IGN are jokes at reviews anyway these days but I do like reading them still like a perverse form of torture.

Well we shall see in a week mate which one of us predicted closer :P

• Like 1

im enjoying it quite a bit so far. dont care for snapmap but multi and single are fun. That said id give it an 8.5 from what ive played so far. it makes systems hot sometimes lol. not sure if thats the game or not. However as for review embargos, i am starting to find IGN extremely biased. and ranking games lower than what they SHOULD be. 

But that said, i am enjoying the game, the next two games i buy on release day will be SO5, which i dont need a review for, and No Mans Sky, which im hoping doesnt have an embargo, but its for the wife, so i dont really care that much. 

im enjoying it quite a bit so far. dont care for snapmap but multi and single are fun. That said id give it an 8.5 from what ive played so far. it makes systems hot sometimes lol. not sure if thats the game or not. However as for review embargos, i am starting to find IGN extremely biased. and ranking games lower than what they SHOULD be. 

But that said, i am enjoying the game, the next two games i buy on release day will be SO5, which i dont need a review for, and No Mans Sky, which im hoping doesnt have an embargo, but its for the wife, so i dont really care that much. 

If the game is above average, it should get like 7/10... An average should be like 5/10 etc...

Edited by MMDE

If the game is above average, it should get like 7/10... An average should be like 5/10 etc...

i dont think an average would be considered a 5 nowadays.... i say average leans toward 6.5 - 7.5, good is 8 to 9, great is 9.1+ imo. too many average games get around 6-7 on most review sites. i just base it on how i feel. I put doom at an 8.5 for myself. 

i dont think an average would be considered a 5 nowadays.... i say average leans toward 6.5 - 7.5, good is 8 to 9, great is 9.1+ imo. too many average games get around 6-7 on most review sites. i just base it on how i feel. I put doom at an 8.5 for myself. 

Yeah, I get what you mean and stuff. :P

Anyway, I'm betting at below 8, but above 7. ;)

This is of course coming from someone who has no interest in the game whatsoever other than having played some of the very early id software games...

Edited by MMDE