We Play Dust: An Elysian Tail

Anyone who wants to join, you may use the Dust: An Elysian Tail sign up thread, until Sunday 8th May when it will be closed. If you want to send an enquiry after that date, send me a PM or use this thread here. Anyone who invades this thread breaking this simple request will likely be added to my ignore list and effectively banned from all future playthroughs, this also includes anyone who puts spoilers in the thread, beyond the point we've played up to.

This starts Friday May 6th, if you don't have the game, if you want to join in on discussion of the game, don't discuss anything beyond the current checkpoint. I have tried to remove every single trace of anything that seemed like it could be a spoiler so don't worry about getting spoilers reading through this post.

Before we start:

The game must be played through on Tough or Hardcore to get the plat in one playthrough, we have been advised to keep multiple manual saves and do make sure to make a manual save before the ending of the game, also there are two missable trophies which depend on the outcome of a quest called 'Out to Dry' that you have a choice in, you are able to save before and simply reload after:

• 40-bronze.pngRenegade
    Reign chaos by putting poison ivy into Gianni's laundry
  • 40-bronze.pngParagon
    Opt out of putting poison ivy into Gianni's laundry

Guidelines:

1. We only play up to the agreed milestone, I think if we leave people behind the group will fall apart, if people fall behind we will continue, but i do hope he others will try to keep up.

2. If you do meet an agreed story milestone, try to focus on any collectibles.

3. Let us know in the thread if you meet a milestone so we can tell if everything is running smoothly, if you're having trouble with a boss or particular enemies try to ask in the thread first before consulting a guide, this is mainly to keep the talk on the game still open.

4. If you have any suggestions I'm completely open to them.

5. Anyone who wants to join, you may use the Dust: An Elysian Tail sign up thread, until Sunday 8th May when it will be closed. If you want to send an enquiry after that date, send me a PM. Anyone who invades this thread breaking this simple request will likely be added to my ignore list and effectively banned from all future playthroughs, this also includes anyone who puts spoilers in the thread, beyond the point we've played up to.

Group members:

1. Superbuu3
  2. CyberC-2
  3. DJROE95 (Checkpoint 1)
  4. Espeon (Checkpoint 1)
  5. Jarred__383
  6. Maftet (Checkpoint 2)
  7. Riggnarokk

I typed out dates as I know we shorthand differently.

Checkpoints:

Checkpoint 1 - Beat The Prologue (Target beat by Sunday 8th May)

Checkpoint 2 - Beat Chapter 1 (Target beat by Wednesday 11th May)

Checkpoint 3 - Beat Chapter 2 (Target beat by Saturday 14th May)

Feel free to let me know if checkpoint timing is too long or short. As there are so few of us we'll just maintain a pace and continue. I should have discussion points up on Sunday if anyone else wants to take a shot at them feel free. Not sure if i'll be posting gameplay of this game or not yet.

Video Walkthrough:

Prologue:

19:35 for 200 hit chain

Chapter 1 - Destiny:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Chapter 2 - Darkness:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 3

So, I just got started and played this a little bit, and I have to say I'm disappointed in myself for not playing this sooner as I have fallen in love with it already <3

Only managed to get a little done so far, as allergies have made me just want to lay down with a cold towel over my eyes, but I'm looking forward to playing it more ^_^  Loving the vibrant colors.  I played Ori and the Blind Forest recently and that has a similar-ish feel.  Incredible knowing Dust as developed by a one man studio.

Going to give this my full attention tomorrow

• Like 3

That's me done upto the 1st checkpoint just this second completed the prologue! This game is so bright and colourful, it looks stunning! The combat seems simple to pick up but might prove difficult to completely master. I managed to get parrying down pretty good by the end of the prologue and can't wait to crack on with chapter 1 :D

• Like 1

I reached Checkpoint 2.

Started a Tough playthrough and got pretty good at the parrying in the Prologue.

Like a lot of others I can't believe this was done by just 1 guy, and the voice acting is pretty good for an indie game.

Fidget's so cute, wish I had thighs like hers lol

• Like 2

So, I just got started and played this a little bit, and I have to say I'm disappointed in myself for not playing this sooner as I have fallen in love with it already <3

Only managed to get a little done so far, as allergies have made me just want to lay down with a cold towel over my eyes, but I'm looking forward to playing it more ^_^  Loving the vibrant colors.  I played Ori and the Blind Forest recently and that has a similar-ish feel.  Incredible knowing Dust as developed by a one man studio.

Going to give this my full attention tomorrow

I was thinking the same thing this game is absolutely beautiful, more games need to be this colourful and just have such beautiful visuals in general.

That's me done upto the 1st checkpoint just this second completed the prologue! This game is so bright and colourful, it looks stunning! The combat seems simple to pick up but might prove difficult to completely master. I managed to get parrying down pretty good by the end of the prologue and can't wait to crack on with chapter 1 :D

Way too many games with shades of grey its pure torture.... such a classy reference. Whereas this is a nice bright colourful world I defintiely think this combat could be some fun, the parry though it seems easy looks like it will be a nightmare when multiple enemies are attacking, the window seems pretty huge for parrying though and i even do it by accident to.

I reached Checkpoint 2.

Started a Tough playthrough and got pretty good at the parrying in the Prologue.

Like a lot of others I can't believe this was done by just 1 guy, and the voice acting is pretty good for an indie game.

Fidget's so cute, wish I had thighs like hers lol

Yeah the whole package for this is pretty damn amazing. Does that mean one guy not only could programme that but also draw that well thats nuts.

LMAO at your last statement I don't think I ever thought that post was going to end like that.

• Like 1

Reached the first checkpoint :)

There are a lot of mechanics in this game that are great, and I'm loving the story and the lore so far.  I've recently got back into sketching and I think I might draw Fidget as she is totally adorable ^_^

I rescued a friend and well....that came as a bit of a surprise :D

Also opted to play on Tough difficulty and nothing has been too bad so far, I was worried about the 200 and 1,000 hit combo as usually I'm rubbish at those but it seems like the game gives good opportunities to obtain them.  What has everyone been focusing on in terms of upgrades?  So far I've put one point into HP and the rest into upgrading Fidget.

Reached the first checkpoint :)

There are a lot of mechanics in this game that are great, and I'm loving the story and the lore so far.  I've recently got back into sketching and I think I might draw Fidget as she is totally adorable ^_^

I rescued a friend and well....that came as a bit of a surprise :D

Also opted to play on Tough difficulty and nothing has been too bad so far, I was worried about the 200 and 1,000 hit combo as usually I'm rubbish at those but it seems like the game gives good opportunities to obtain them.  What has everyone been focusing on in terms of upgrades?  So far I've put one point into HP and the rest into upgrading Fidget.

I did 2 points in defence I think one in attack when i realised how underpowered i was in the boss fight, my theory was i want low attack to get a 1000 hit combo and more XP in general I got the 200 hit combo already, in normal combat. I think i got all the secrets up to that point, although there was one explosive wall i didn't break but i think that was throug a screen transition so i doubt i could break it at this point.

• Like 1

What has everyone been focusing on in terms of upgrades?  So far I've put one point into HP and the rest into upgrading Fidget.

My health mainly. I think I'm with 4 points in health, 1 in attack, 2 in defence and none in Fidget.

Does upgrading her make a big difference? At the moment I think she does like 1 point of damage a time and I don't want to upgrade her if she's just going to start doing 2 points instead.

My health mainly. I think I'm with 4 points in health, 1 in attack, 2 in defence and none in Fidget.

Does upgrading her make a big difference? At the moment I think she does like 1 point of damage a time and I don't want to upgrade her if she's just going to start doing 2 points instead.

The boost you get from putting points in stats would make it very worthwhile, I'm certain she'll be a beast later on. I havent put point in her yet but i definitely will do. I didn't see any point in putting points in health as enemies were knocking me down to 1 health immediately (things don't seem to be able to kill you in one hit) so having a higher defence seems more efficient. Also the homing nature of the attack means you can take things out from a distance and off screen, its a very broken attack. I'd wait till she gets upgraded as i'm sure there's going to be things that improve her attack further later, but i don't think points in her will ever be wasted.

My gameplay footage will be uploaded in a couple of hours.

EDIT: its up in first post at 19:35 I get the 200 hit chain and you can see that Fidget is a big part of that.

Edited by Superbuu3

I finished Checkpoint 1 and will play to Checkpoint 2 tomorrow evening. It really is a great game and I love the combat so far, especially how they integrated Fidget into the fighting.

Update: Checkpoint 2 - Check

Edited by Riggnarokk

After prying myself away from Unchrted 4 I just reached the first boss, died instantly and decided now would be a good time for food :D I'll come back and beat the boss (well what I persume is the boss after lunch), I'll edit the post once I've succeeded :)

Discussion points for Prologue and Chapter 1 will be up tomorrow, if any of you want to do the discussion points feel free to just message me so I know you intend to so then I don't write anything out myself. I'll start up the Life is Strange sign ups soon too. This game doesn't seem too long so assuming you game an hour or so a day youd probably be able to get through both.

Checkpoint 3 - Beat Chapter 2 (Target beat by Saturday 14th May)

After prying myself away from Unchrted 4 I just reached the first boss, died instantly and decided now would be a good time for food :D I'll come back and beat the boss (well what I persume is the boss after lunch), I'll edit the post once I've succeeded :)

I completely destroyed the boss, I'm gonna guess its all my practice not playing lego games :P

• Like 1

I completely destroyed the boss, I'm gonna guess its all my practice not playing lego games :P

Low blow Buu, low blow ha ha :P

I'll get there was only level 5 so I'll grind some levels out and go back and destroy him mwha ha ha!

Might as well sign me up for Life is Strange we play too, at least there won't be any boss fights I can get stuck on with that one lol

Finished checkpoint 3 - I can't help but feel that at lvl 26 I've slightly over leveled early game, but hey ho the 2nd boss went down within about 4 seconds and I'm off into chapter 3 now. I feel bad that I didn't play this game before now, it's lovely, great little game.

Got just under 50% trophy completion too, seems like the trials might be a little tough but doable with tonnes of practice to get that perfect run.

Finished checkpoint 3 - I can't help but feel that at lvl 26 I've slightly over leveled early game, but hey ho the 2nd boss went down within about 4 seconds and I'm off into chapter 3 now. I feel bad that I didn't play this game before now, it's lovely, great little game.

Got just under 50% trophy completion too, seems like the trials might be a little tough but doable with tonnes of practice to get that perfect run.

Level 26  :blink:  I'm only a level 7 or 8 at the end of checkpoint 2. Gonna do checkpoint 3 today on my lunch break.

Edited by Mr Incredible

Discussion Points:

Checkpoint 1 (Prologue):

1. What difficulty are you playing on?
  2. Do you think the opening battle scene is a location we see within the first chapter?
  3. How did you find the games visuals and the fact this was designed by one guy?
  4. What did you think of the amnesia plot device and its use in this game?
  5. First impressions of Fidget, the sword and Dust?
  6. What do you think of the combat system?
  7. Have you been using the Parry or Dodge more?
  8. How did you find the first boss fight against the giants/golems?

Checkpoint 2 (Chapter 1):

1. After meeting the local population who is your favourite character out of the main cast and supporting cast?
  2. What did you think about Ginger on your first meeting with her?
  3. Do you think Dust knows her seeing as she comments he seems familiar?
  4. What did you think of Gianni and how did you handle his quest and why?
  5. Do you think all of the townsfolk are trustworthy?
  6. What do you think of the enemy types? Which is your favourite and least favourite enemy?
  7. Did your opinion on combat change while playing the game?
  8. How are you finding the dialogue in the game and what are your thoughts on the voice acting?
  9. What did you think of the easter egg characters in the cages (There's at least 3)?
  10. How are you finding the games difficulty?
  11. Thoughts on Haley, upgrade systems and equipment system?
  12. How did you find the boss fight against Fuse? What do you think his dialogue meant and do you think his comments can be trusted?
  13. Did your opinion on Ginger change at all?
  14. What do you think is in the box?
  15. What level were you at the end of Chapter 1?
  16. Did anyone have any desires to have any characters thighs...? lol :P

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1