Thoughts on Supply Drops

I didn't like the idea of locking weapons behind a paywall but I was able to tolerate them until the FFAR was added. Most of the weapons up to that point felt either very gimmicky or purposefully underpowered. But with the last update I've picked up FFARs off the ground a few times and it seems very, very good. Realistically I will never get one without spending hundreds on COD points (even with the weapon bribes) so I'm pretty pissed with Activision over this. One free weapon bribe seems pretty stingy for season pass holders anyway, as we were originally supposed to have ALL of the ranged weapons included with map packs.

The bad thing isn't just that you need to pay for it but also that the drops are completely random. If you buy the COD Points with 40 bucks it could very well be that all you get are some weapon camos of guns you'll never use.

But hey we're talking about developers who haven't listened to what their fans want for years so this is right up their alley.

I would be fine with the supply drops if they didn't include the new weapons, I think it is ridiculous that they are in supply drops because it means that many people, even Season Pass owners who have spent plenty of extra money on the game, will never get to use any of the new weapons they add. 

The bad thing isn't just that you need to pay for it but also that the drops are completely random. If you buy the COD Points with 40 bucks it could very well be that all you get are some weapon camos of guns you'll never use.
But hey we're talking about developers who haven't listened to what their fans want for years so this is right up their alley.

Treyarch have definitely listened to fans over the years. If they didn't, why would they ever bother to re-balance weapons? 

Parker

I would be fine with the supply drops if they didn't include the new weapons, I think it is ridiculous that they are in supply drops because it means that many people, even Season Pass owners who have spent plenty of extra money on the game, will never get to use any of the new weapons they add. 

Treyarch have definitely listened to fans over the years. If they didn't, why would they ever bother to re-balance weapons? 

Parker

Yes they have there, though I was not talking about MP but the story. They (and Infinity Ward) keep going farther into the future and make it more like Mass Effect or Titanfall when the CoD series have gotten their success with the Modern Warfare series and the WW settings (Black Ops). Just comparing the game owners on PSNProfiles from the original Black Ops with over 930,000 to Black Ops 3 (PS3 & PS4 combined) with about 200,000 speaks for itself.

Yes they have there, though I was not talking about MP but the story. They (and Infinity Ward) keep going farther into the future and make it more like Mass Effect or Titanfall when the CoD series have gotten their success with the Modern Warfare series and the WW settings (Black Ops). Just comparing the game owners on PSNProfiles from the original Black Ops with over 930,000 to Black Ops 3 (PS3 & PS4 combined) with about 200,000 speaks for itself.

To be fair, Blops III (and Infinite Warfare) have been in development for years and when they started development Titanfall was the big thing so it makes sense that CoD would follow suit. I think we'll see a boots on ground CoD either next year or the year after (hopefully next year) especially after the terrible reception the Infinite Warfare trailer received. 

Honestly Infinity Ward should just make a Modern Warfare Remastered Trilogy and see the money come flowing in. 

Parker

Parker

Maybe because they listen to their E-Sports players/pals or Big CoD Youtubers that complain if something is not to their liking. Not really listening to the fans but to a small inter circle.

Maybe because they listen to their E-Sports players/pals or Big CoD Youtubers that complain if something is not to their liking. Not really listening to the fans but to a small inter circle.

David Vonderhaar is very active on Twitter and other social media with CoD fans. I'm sure he listens to what the pro players say but he definitely listens to the other players as well.

Parker 

David Vonderhaar is very active on Twitter and other social media with CoD fans. I'm sure he listens to what the pro players say but he definitely listens to the other players as well.

Parker

I used to trust in Treyarch but then they lied about Supply Drops not returning in BO3.

I used to trust in Treyarch but then they lied about Supply Drops not returning in BO3.

More than likely they had every intention for that to be the case but Activision probably has the final say for things like that. To be completely honest, they are very successful and a huge moneymaker so I can completely see why Activison wants them in the game. It is a kind of kick in the face that the only way to get new weapons are to chance it with those drops though and I think most people would be okay with supply drops if that wasn't the case.  

Parker 

To be fair, Blops III (and Infinite Warfare) have been in development for years and when they started development Titanfall was the big thing so it makes sense that CoD would follow suit. I think we'll see a boots on ground CoD either next year or the year after (hopefully next year) especially after the terrible reception the Infinite Warfare trailer received. 

Honestly Infinity Ward should just make a Modern Warfare Remastered Trilogy and see the money come flowing in. 

Parker

Does it make sense that you take your gaming franchise and just try to imitate another game when yours has been hugely successful? Why not make a separate game and leave your own CoD game series in the settings you yourself as a developer have established for it?

From what I've heard about the trailer, only about a third of CoD players are actually excited for IW and the rest said they'll just get the remastered MW trilogy.

Though BO2 was already futuristic I liked the MP there. They added the Peacekeeper as DLC at first and made it available for everyone later. That system is nice unlike the stuff that's going on in BO3.

Treyarch and Infinity Ward try and squeeze money out of their fans like crazy for extra weapons and DLC and then you've Rockstar Games who gives massive DLC and updates for free to the next gen players (with micro transactions for in-game money) and they've done amazingly with their sales. So if you look at the competition why not look at the game that broke sales' records instead of Titanfall just because it was made by ex employees?

Treyarch and Infinity Ward try and squeeze money out of their fans like crazy for extra weapons and DLC

Most if not all of the money made from supply drops goes straight into Activision's bank account and people like Vahn have fought the hardest to keep them out of the game (hence why drops only had cosmetic camos and emblems on release). https://www.reddit.com/r/blackops3/comments/45d2zz/treyarch_friendconsulteeemployee_revealing_what_i/

This link might not be 100% true but it was posted before the HG40 and Marshall-16 released so it could very well be real.