Ch6 Akumu

zombiesateme

I'm at the wonderful 2 burning rooms with the door Joseph has to disarm. I broke down and decided to buy upgrades and fully maxed my flash bolt duration and amount I can carry. It still does not seem to be enough. Any other suggestions? Those were upgrades I bought before going to lockers so I still have 6 keys I can use. Should I just try and get green gel for more upgrades?

Not sure if it still works or if it got patched, but there used to be a trick that helps a lot. In the first room, kill the first 2 enemies which makes 3 new enemies appear. Just kite or circle around these enemies until Joseph opens the door and no more enemies should spawn. In the 2nd room, kill 4 enemies, no more than 4, and then avoid the remaining 3 enemies until door opens.

There are some videos showing how to use this method and if done correctly, you can stop enemies from spawning. Then, it's just a matter of avoiding/dodging the enemies and using Flash bolts to buy you some time. Definitely one of the hardest parts on Akumu and I would have given anything for a checkpoint between the 2 rooms.

Edited by MStalker58
  • Like 1

Even with that trick, it can still be tough and takes some practice on avoiding the remaining enemies since the rooms are so small. Sounds easier than it actually is.

As for upgrades, it's been a while since I've played it, so it's not very fresh in my mind, but sprint could be useful in that part. It would help you in running around the room and kiting the enemies. It might not be necessary, but that and flash bolts are probably the best upgrades for this. Don't recall using many matches or anything here. If you can limit the enemy spawns, the main thing is just learning how to dodge their attacks and when/where to sprint out of the way or use flash bolts. 

If you are still having trouble, maybe try watching some YouTube videos on this part or check out this thread where several people describe what they did to get through it. Some of the more detailed hints/tips are towards the bottom of that thread. The good news is that this might be the hardest part, so if you can do it, you can probably finish the rest of the game. Good luck!  :)

Edited by MStalker58
  • Like 1

Ok I think this will work. I tried the method you described and made it through the first door. The 2nd one will take a while but I think eventually I can pull it off. I just don't want to go crazy using all my resources to get through this one area.

Yeah just takes some practice. You aren't alone, I'm sure my death count was in the 100's for Chapter 6. I worried about resource management a lot too, probably too much since I usually end up with extra resources at the end of games like these. 

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but there is another tough part (at least for me) right after these 2 rooms, but at least there is a save point and that area is wide open so you don't have to worry about being trapped in a small room. Definitely remember to use the mirror and save after clearing this area. Actually there are several tough areas in Chapter 6 now that I think about it, it's one of those chapters that never seems to end. 

• Like 1

Ahh, good times :P I feel you mate, akumu was one hell of a ride but very satisfying and rewarding by the end. Chapter 6 is indeed full of traps for your progress, however there's some tricks that I used that may help you. Just like stalker said, the flash bolt is indeed your friend in this segments, the enemies will keep coming and you will soon run out of ammo if you go all out and they are hungry for a piece of you. Since you have some keys and gel to upgrade, use then on the flash bolt duration. It will stun then for quite some time, you can even stealth kill one once in a while since it will also take a couple of seconds for another to show up, just keep practicing, akumu is indeed a challenge. Just know that this is the beginning, chapter 6 will show you if you can get what you asked for it :P

The best you can upgrade is indeed matches, flash bolt and stamina, that's all to it. One weapon of you choice, there's no need to use on health or any other than matches, can kill a bunch with just one swipe.

Edited by Mah2c
  • Like 1

HOLY SHIT I MADE IT!!!! Those burning rooms were total nonsense, but at least now I think I can get back to kill, save, repeat for a while. This just means I'm going to do a no upgrade run on the lowest difficulty, which since I made it Ch6 on Akumu with no upgrades, then casual difficulty shouldn't be that bad. Thanks for the advice and please if there are any other tips or tricks for Akumu, let me know. That part had me terrified I would never even beat the game.

• Like 1

The worst part is indeed chapter 6 as a whole and the other being the gondola segment on chapter 12. Those are indeed the hardest parts of the akumu run. It's easily one the hardest survival horror in my opinion, the other being the 10 stars in silent Hill 2. Dead space and doom 3 nightmare are also hard but at least stays even throughout without those major spikes in some parts.

Keep the same stategy, bolts are indeed your friend in those crowded segments

The burning rooms were total BS, I'm watching a video for a pattern to the turrets which shouldn't require as much luck, and I saw where a guy used the revolver on the Sadist. really not looking forward to the cable car, but that may be something a couple of flash bolts can handle. I'm somewhat tempted to finish Ch6 and then switch to casual for no upgrades and try and do both playthroughs as close together as I can. I'd like to think I might learn something on casual that can be applied to akumu.

Honestly, the part I struggled with the most on Akumu, was the dogfight at the end of chapter 6.

In my walkthrough, I used a couple dozen handgun bullets and 4 upgraded flashbolts to get past the cable car.  That's it.  It's at 32:45 of this vid.

Edited by FuriousTorque

thank god I have done with this BS difficulty.

what I did on the first room is killing all the enemies on the first wave using the two barrels by kicking them close to the windows and lit them up, one of the enemies drooped an axe which I used it on the fat guy while he was trying to enter the room.

Then I started to circle the rest until "stupid agent Joseph" finish with the door.

on the second room I killed all the enemies on the first wave and on the second wave I run around the enemies while readying my flash bolts, every time enemies tries to corner me I shoot a bolt on the floor to blind them without killing any of them till freaking Joseph done opening the door.

this part is intentionally made like this so the players must waste all of their resources and continue on with an empty hands, how cheap

Any advice for the Sentinel fight? I'm trying a strategy of shotgunning to knock him down the explosive bolt but it seems random when he'll actually fall over versus hitting me anyway.

Don't remember using a specific trick or strategy against that dog thing. Believe I used the sniper rifle right when he came charging out of the bushes which usually knocked him down. Then just unloaded explosive bolts or anything I had on him until he got back up and then repeat. Can be a little tricky getting the timing and aiming down using the sniper rifle though. That was an annoying fight.

• Like 1

I'm experimenting using both shotgun and sniper rifle. It just seems random whether or not the shot will topple him over so I can use explosive bolts. It's just frustrating being at this games mercy. At least RE5 would allow you to go through Professional with fully upgraded characters.

I've made it to Ch 11. It's the part where you have to clear the enemies to get on the gondola. After watching some videos, the checkpoints seem generous enough here that I can pull this off eventually. The question is after the gondola ride, are there any other segments between then and the end of the game that are going to feel as completely ridiculous as either the gondola or the two burning rooms? Also any tips for the squid fight? I think once I get past everything with the bus section I'll be fine.

Chapter 11 is the last really difficult chapter in my opinion.  I struggled a little bit with the giant spider thing, but plenty of ammo is dropped while you're on the bus, if I remember correctly.  Grenades really helped, so make sure you save a couple of those.  Chapter 14 is where I started using up all my extra resources from the locker room, so that makes the squid fight a lot easier.

Edited by FuriousTorque
  • Like 1

I'm about to jump on the gondola right now. I've burned through all my keys but I was upgrading my shotguns damage and criticals. My plan for the squid is to actually keep all the magnum rounds I have and use them there. Hopefully I'll have a few to get through the double keeper fight or at least using my shotgun will help a great deal.

• 5 months later...

In chapter 6 burning rooms i used flash bolts and shotgun. First part was easy. Kill two first guys then circle around and use bolt if needed. Second room was worse. I kicked flaming barrel, shot it and killed couple dudes. I shot my bolt and waited more people to show up. They ran to me and i used shotgun to knock them over. They were all in one group and i shot bolt again, then just wait and if they recover i shot again

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats!

Yeah, if you can finish Akumu, then a no upgrade run on the lowest difficulty shouldn't be a problem. Akumu is definitely the hardest part of the platinum.

True that. Honestly think Akumu was the single most difficult trophy I ever got. And Chapter 6? Oh man. I was literally yelling at the tv, telling Joseph to hurry up and open the @&@$&@& door(s). I had to have died upwards of 75 times on that part alone. Ah, the memories.

• 6 years later...