[Feedback] Timezones

Is there any way to make it display in their timezone? I'd be more curious to see what time they actually got it at, personally. Without having to do math. ;)

I doubt there's any way for Sly to tell which timezone they're actually in. Well, I guess he could check what timezone they have set and adjust accordingly, but it seems unnecessary. As it is, if you know what timezone a person is in, just set yours to match, then look at their trophies. Remember to set the timezone back afterwards, though.

Personally, I like this feature a lot. It's something I actually suggested for the PS3T site a while back, as I didn't like seeing my trophies in the US timezone. I'd stick a 'thumbs up' smiley here, but there isn't one. :P

I doubt there's any way for Sly to tell which timezone they're actually in. Well, I guess he could check what timezone they have set and adjust accordingly, but it seems unnecessary. As it is, if you know what timezone a person is in, just set yours to match, then look at their trophies. Remember to set the timezone back afterwards, though.

Personally, I like this feature a lot. It's something I actually suggested for the PS3T site a while back, as I didn't like seeing my trophies in the US timezone. I'd stick a 'thumbs up' smiley here, but there isn't one. :P

Considering how complex this database already is and Sly's natural talents, I wouldn't think using someone elses timezone settings over your own would be ridiculously complicated to work with... but I guess I wouldn't really know.

Automatically having the correct timezone displayed for the account being viewed would be much more convenient then getting in contact with the owner of the account, finding out what timezone they live in and changing my own settings (or doing the math) just to see what time of day they actually got a trophy at. If it's not too difficult to change, I think it'd be worthwhile. ;)

Considering how complex this database already is and Sly's natural talents, I wouldn't think using someone elses timezone settings over your own would be ridiculously complicated to work with... but I guess I wouldn't really know.

Automatically having the correct timezone displayed for the account being viewed would be much more convenient then getting in contact with the owner of the account, finding out what timezone they live in and changing my own settings (or doing the math) just to see what time of day they actually got a trophy at. If it's not too difficult to change, I think it'd be worthwhile. ;)

Well to see someone elses timezone would mean EVERY user tracked would have to signup, and set their timezone. If everyone did that then sure it shouldnt be anything to see their earn dates in their timezone, but since sly setup to import a users friends and its not a requirement to signup to use a trophy card there will be thousands of users who will be the default (Prolly GMT +0) timestamps. Anyway good addition sly i thought about doing the same on ygc, i might just make a post of ideas i thought to do over there before leaving.

Well to see someone elses timezone would mean EVERY user tracked would have to signup, and set their timezone. If everyone did that then sure it shouldnt be anything to see their earn dates in their timezone, but since sly setup to import a users friends and its not a requirement to signup to use a trophy card there will be thousands of users who will be the default (Prolly GMT +0) timestamps. Anyway good addition sly i thought about doing the same on ygc, i might just make a post of ideas i thought to do over there before leaving.

Eh, that's a pretty good point I guess. I suppose the next best solution would be to determine timezone for non-registered users loosely based on the country associated with it... but it's still not a perfect solution, I'm sure Sly has better things to work on and it's pretty unnecessary overall.

Ah, a nice addition. Kudos.

As for what you guys are saying, I prefer the current setup rather than what you guys are proposing - mainly because I want to know what time people earned a trophy relative to when I earned it. If it displays in their timezone, I would have to fuck about working out the timezone differences, etc. (Also, what Dose said about non-registered members not having a timezone specified).

mainly because I want to know what time people earned a trophy relative to when I earned it

If I may be so bold, why do you feel this way? I would think it'd be more interesting to know when someone actually got a trophy, then to know the time they got it if they lived where you do.

If I may be so bold, why do you feel this way? I would think it'd be more interesting to know when someone actually got a trophy, then to know the time they got it if they lived where you do.

Just because when I'm comparing trophies with people (I only compare games when we got the game around the same time), I like to see who earned what trophies first... I don't care what time they got it in their timezone, it makes no difference to me if they got it at 12PM or 3AM.

Just because when I'm comparing trophies with people (I only compare games when we got the game around the same time), I like to see who earned what trophies first... I don't care what time they got it in their timezone, it makes no difference to me if they got it at 12PM or 3AM.

Wouldn't it be easier to see who got a trophy first if you know what time of day they actually got it? If you don't care what hour they got it (which is kind of the whole point of adjustable timezones and this topic), then why do you prefer the current setup? You sound more indifferent to it lol.

Wouldn't it be easier to see who got a trophy first if you know what time of day they actually got it? If you don't care what hour they got it (which is kind of the whole point of adjustable timezones and this topic), then why do you prefer the current setup? You sound more indifferent to it lol.

Either you don't understand what I've been saying, or I don't understand what you've been saying... either way, I don't compare trophies enough to care - but I do prefer the current setup to the one that's been proposed in this thread.

Viewing times in the other users timezone wouldn't be consistent, they would be able to change their timezone to UTC-11 or so to get a higher spot on the first achievers chart.

Think of how the forums work, you set your timezone to see when people made posts in your time, if you were looking at the times they posted in their timezones it wouldn't make any sense.

Viewing times in the other users timezone wouldn't be consistent, they would be able to change their timezone to UTC-11 or so to get a higher spot on the first achievers chart.

Think of how the forums work, you set your timezone to see when people made posts in your time, if you were looking at the times they posted in their timezones it wouldn't make any sense.

This is true. If something like "plat races" competitions start getting organized, people would change their time zone to cheat and win.

Or you could just make it display all three (or two) times. First GMT+0, then another time in the "user's local time", then possibly another one "your time". If you and the other user are in the same timezone, you could just have it displaying the first two. Unregistered users would only see GMT+0 to simplify things (as it is now?).

Superficial really, but I don't really think it's that hard and might be another of those features other sites don't have.

Back on topic, the times are displaying fine with my GMT+7 B)