Help with lack of motivation to play games

ShadowStar83x

You've maybe burned yourself out playing games. Sometimes break is good, go and do other hobbies, could be burned out because there might be a game coming out that you are really looking forward to.

I agree. Taking a break and doing other hobbies and such could be good to get your motivation back to play games. There could be something that you're doing while taking a break that could inspire you to get back into playing again.

I think having such a huge backlog isn't helping with the motivation - it's that indecision about what you want to play, coupled with the fact that you never feel like you're making a dent in that backlog.

Personally, I'd give myself a buying freeze as making new purchases will only exacerbate the situation and as a result, you may never feel like going back to gaming as you see your backlog grow.

It should be an enjoyable experience, not a chore.  As others have said, try enjoying some different hobbies and put gaming to the back of your mind until you feel ready to go back to it.  Don't force it.

• Like 1

Why on Earth would you force yourself to play games? This is meant to be a fun hobby, not (home)work. "I want to, but I can't motivate myself to do so" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

If you're not having fun playing games, don't play games. Go read something, watch a TV show, do anything that makes sense to you at the moment. Sooner or later, gaming will draw you back in.

You've maybe burned yourself out playing games.  Sometimes break is good, go and do other hobbies, could be burned out because there might be a game coming out that you are really looking forward to.

I agree. Taking a break and doing other hobbies and such could be good to get your motivation back to play games. There could be something that you're doing while taking a break that could inspire you to get back into playing again.

I think having such a huge backlog isn't helping with the motivation - it's that indecision about what you want to play, coupled with the fact that you never feel like you're making a dent in that backlog.

Personally, I'd give myself a buying freeze as making new purchases will only exacerbate the situation and as a result, you may never feel like going back to gaming as you see your backlog grow.

It should be an enjoyable experience, not a chore.  As others have said, try enjoying some different hobbies and put gaming to the back of your mind until you feel ready to go back to it.  Don't force it.

Sounds like a blessing disguise.

If you haven't already, use this time to flesh out your different likes/hobbies/activities. Like others said, you won't be so burned out on games anymore, or you may leave them behind altogether. Either way, it won't be so bad.

Well, I have had quite a few books I've been wanting to read and I've mostly caught up on that, so some good's come out of it. :) Regardless, I did come off as a bit whiny, so I'm gonna lock this.

Edited by ShadowStar83x