Final Fantasy XV - Is it on our earth?

Remilia Scarlet

While watching Kingsglaive and when playing the demo, I've come to the theory that Final Fantasy XV is set in an alternate version of our earth. My reasons being the following:

• the vehicles, namely cars, are far too similar to our own (Nyx drives a car very obviously based on a Challenger), as are the street designs and the guardrails on the highways. Power lines, telephone poles, city buildings, etc are all vaguely reminiscent of Japan and other Asian countries, which brings me to my second point...

• I noticed that there was some Japanese text on a few signs and on the license plate on the Speedy Chocobo truck. One sign reads Japan Airlines, and next to it is an ad for Audi Motors. Further on is a sign with Beats by Dre logo on it. The city also follows a layout that closely resembles that of Akiba and Tokyo, with subway entrances on the surface and numerous signs and advertisements everywhere.

What do you think? Is this theory plausible? Or am I reading too much into it?

While watching Kingsglaive and when playing the demo, I've come to the theory that Final Fantasy XV is set in an alternate version of our earth. My reasons being the following:

• the vehicles, namely cars, are far too similar to our own (Nyx drives a car very obviously based on a Challenger), as are the street designs and the guardrails on the highways. Power lines, telephone poles, city buildings, etc are all vaguely reminiscent of Japan and other Asian countries, which brings me to my second point...

• I noticed that there was some Japanese text on a few signs and on the license plate on the Speedy Chocobo truck. One sign reads Japan Airlines, and next to it is an ad for Audi Motors. Further on is a sign with Beats by Dre logo on it. The city also follows a layout that closely resembles that of Akiba and Tokyo, with subway entrances on the surface and numerous signs and advertisements everywhere.

What do you think? Is this theory plausible? Or am I reading too much into it?

I just assumed every FF is set on an alternate earth. That's certainly the case in Lightning Returns FFXIII :ninja:.

• Like 1

I just assumed every FF is set on an alternate earth. That's certainly the case in Lightning Returns FFXIII :ninja:.

The official names of each planet in Final Fantasy:

Final Fantasy - World A

Final Fantasy II - Unnamed

Final Fantasy III - Unnamed

Final Fantasy IV - Blue Planet

Final Fantasy V - Planet R

Final Fantasy VI - World of Balance

Final Fantasy VII - Gaia

Final Fantasy VIII - Unnamed ("the planet")

Final Fantasy IX - Gaia

Final Fantasy X - Spira

Final Fantasy XI - Vana'Diel

Final Fantasy XII - Ivalice

Final Fantasy XIII - Gran Pulse

Final Fantasy Type-0 - Orience

Final Fantasy XIV - Hydaelyn

As Square Enix has so far failed to mention the name of the planet on which FFXV is set, I decided to write up my theory.

Back when FFXV debuted as Final Fantasy Versus XIII, it was said that it shared the same world/universe as Final Fantasy XIII as part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis saga (FF13, FFv13, Type 0).

The question is if FFXV still part of that, considering things like l'Cie or fal'Cie have never been mentioned as far as I know. If anything it may follow the same mythology.

Edited by Death_Ninja

Back when FFXV debuted as Final Fantasy Versus XIII, it was said that it shared the same world/universe as Final Fantasy XIII as part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis saga (FF13, FFv13, Type 0).

The question is if FFXV still part of that, considering things like l'Cie or fal'Cie have never been mentioned as far as I know. If anything it may follow the same mythology.

FFvsXIII was the first game to  mention the goddess Etro and afterwards FFXIII-2 was also centered around that deity. Not sure if that part was scrapped from FFvsXIII when it became XV. 

The official names of each planet in Final Fantasy:

Final Fantasy - World A

Final Fantasy II - Unnamed

Final Fantasy III - Unnamed

Final Fantasy IV - Blue Planet

Final Fantasy V - Planet R

Final Fantasy VI - World of Balance

Final Fantasy VII - Gaia

Final Fantasy VIII - Unnamed ("the planet")

Final Fantasy IX - Gaia

Final Fantasy X - Spira

Final Fantasy XI - Vana'Diel

Final Fantasy XII - Ivalice

Final Fantasy XIII - Gran Pulse

Final Fantasy Type-0 - Orience

Final Fantasy XIV - Hydaelyn

As Square Enix has so far failed to mention the name of the planet on which FFXV is set, I decided to write up my theory.

In FFX-2 Shinra wonders if the Farplane energy can be harvested and used, hinting that it may be the same world/universe as FFVII.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

No.  It's based on Eos.

Source: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Eos_(Final_Fantasy_XV)

They recently stated that Fabula Nova Crystallis is no longer a thing in FFXV so there will be no l'Cie or fal'Cie remaining in it.

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 1

Do you know if Etro is still in it?

P2rfpWb.jpg

She's on this mural which is still within the game.  Although she could have a different name now.

And she's still within Kingsglaive.. but who knows, they could just be simply reusing assets here:

Kingsglaive_Etro.png

Edited by DEMON

*snip*

She's on this mural which is still within the game.  Although she could have a different name now.

And she's still within Kingsglaive.. but who knows, they could just be simply reusing assets here:

Kingsglaive_Etro.png

That's an impressive mural. I wouldn't be surprised if Etro now has a new name in FFXV if Square Enix tried to break all ties with Fabula Nova Crystallis. That reminds me, I still need to see Kingsglaive.

That's an impressive mural. I wouldn't be surprised if Etro now has a new name in FFXV if Square Enix tried to break all ties with Fabula Nova Crystallis. That reminds me, I still need to see Kingsglaive.

Yea, definitely do and then watch the Omen trailer for proper closure on it's plot.

Square Enix say you can do without watching it before you play FFXV but I highly doubt that.

I have to recommend Kingsglaive. It's a brilliant movie. Aaron Paul as Nyx was simply wonderful. I do have to warn you that it is very heavy on political drama, seeing as it is setting up the reason the game happens.

Yea, definitely do and then watch the Omen trailer for proper closure on it's plot.

Square Enix say you can do without watching it before you play FFXV but I highly doubt that.

I have to recommend Kingsglaive. It's a brilliant movie. Aaron Paul as Nyx was simply wonderful. I do have to warn you that it is very heavy on political drama, seeing as it is setting up the reason the game happens.

Ok, thanks. I'll definitely watch it :D.

• 4 weeks later...