Last of us 2 predictions

Stargazer2600

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but I remember the gameplay of TLOU to be mostly only fights and walking in between fights (same for Uncharted 1-3 with dome platforming added), while Uncharted 4 added some more variety. I still think TLOU was a better game than U4 was though but that also has to do with how annoyed I have gotten with the Nate-whateverhernamewas romance, I just want Indiana Jones adventures.

I didn't really feel like Ellie was eclipsing Joel. I always saw TLOU as Joel's story, not Ellie's. Going more into that would require spoilered text but I guess you probably get how I mean. I do agree that Joel's story is done and Ellie is the one to continue on, though. His story being finished is how I can see them killing him off to make Ellie's journey more emotional.

Yeah TLOU had much more depth combat wise, shooting wise, and variety wise:

- More combat tools and scenarios besides the one-sided/same Uncharted ones (Uncharted: same combat and shooting situations all the time, even when placed on set piece settings like a boat -- just a change of scenary)

- (Way) More than 2 carrable guns at a time yet again unlike Uncharted (lol at long gun and pistol, which also so happens to not save between all chapters to keep the ones you like - that grammar) + other combat related weapons that arent just a grenade (looks at Uncharted....): molotov, nail bombs, shivs, etc (almost all of which yet adds another element of depth by having secondary purposes for their use)

- Crafting system (varies to). The health system is even (way) more rewarding and realistic than Uncharted's.

- Leveling up weapons + adding attachments + leveling up the main character himself

- Even rewarded for actual exploration, something that stopped after Jak 3 (Uncharted rewards you nadda for exploration... wait, Uncharted 4 fixed this a bit [cough, TLOU ethic] with new [TLOU like] collectibles that werent just treasures, right?

I can go on. TLOU has an immense more depth than Uncharted, and its quite evident how much TLOU did for Uncharted (4). Uncharted misleds ppl with its various variations of animations, which are sort of bad for being tied to randomly selected inputs and scriptedness (yet it feels good though, typical ND formula). Combined with Uncharted's carried platforming... ok im going too far over my point. But TLOU is NDs first game since the Jak series to focus back on gameplay. Uncharted is way too focused on narrative and setpieces with minimum/passable, instead of great or amazing, gameplay. U4 is only better at gameplay because it had to directly burrow/steal and make own a grappling mechanic from U2 and took other elements from TLOU, blatantly, like stealth, melee combat (EXACT same, including c/p animations), and that marking system, instead of innovating in a unique Uncharted way. They even toned down the setpieces becayse of their own realization THANKS to TLOU. Uncharted will remain my least favorite series of theirs, even if it does resemble the many concepts of a realistic Jak reboot. Hopefully TLOU2 doesnt disappoint in gameplay.

Oh yeah, forgot... Joel. Well TLOU was clearly about Ellie. Joel was the opening sequence (lack of better term) and it was his story for the brief first moments of the game. It became about Ellie right when she was introduced, especially since her role was tied to the main story of the game itsf (fireflies looking for a cure : Ellie both being the cure and proving there is possibility for a cure). Joels story got overlapped and merged with Ellie's inbetween, but Ellie's was more important. A lot of games tell multiple stories at once. But ND did good by delivering and concluding on both ends, unlike the case with Jak 3 partially (75% complete) :(

Edited by Mar
  • Like 1

The first TLoU was about Joel with Ellie as a support character. I feel TLoU 2 will have Ellie as the main character now with Joel being the secondary character. And no, I don't like the idea of him being a ghost/hallucination. This is supposed to be a dark, grounded portrayal of survival in an apocalyptic world. Not some Grey's Anatomy crap with Denny or the shit they pulled with the Joker in Arkham Knight. If Joel is in fact dead by this game, the teaser trailer was probably a flashback if anything.

What I also hope is that they improve on gameplay. They should ditch the repetitive ladder / floating platform puzzles that were in the first game and focus more on the logistics of survival such as crafting weapons, treating injuries, or finding food. Or introduce different types of infected rather than just the runners/clickers/stalkers/bloaters. Infected animals would actually be pretty neat, considering it was a scrapped idea for the original game.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Sorry totally necro’n the hell outta this thread. I just found it very interesting. OP’s main initial theories were spot on. Great use of logical deduction, especially considering the little info known at the time.

to add: I’m only half way thru the game as of now, so I don’t know if any later twists change anything yet... been avoiding spoilers 

Edited by FEARTRAIN