Last of us 2 predictions

Stargazer2600

Now I wanna start off by saying this thread will contain spoilers so If you haven't played the first game then i would stop now, if you don't care or have completed the first game then pull up a chair, grab a christmas cookie and lets have a chat. So some of the things we 100% know about the last of us 2 is you do play as Ellie. She is supposed to be the main character this time around and Ellie is on a warpath. She is fueled by hate and its the only thing keeping her going, but what exactly has her so angry? 

Well in the first game, joel pisses a lot of people off. Needless to say, you kill a lot of people and no where in the first game is it clear that joel and ellie killed everyone of said group (fireflies, the cannibals, the pittsburge crew, etc) so there are more than a few people who want Joel and Ellie dead. Now i know its a popular theory so lets entertain it but put your foil hats on first, The theory that Joel is or will die. After playing the first game and getting really invested, it's gonna suck to see joel die (if he does,) That would be a big moment in TLoU2 if they offed joel but it would then explain why we play as Ellie and why she would want to kill all these people. Theres tons of theories about how joel in the trailer is a ghost or hallucination and gameranx has done a recent video explaining all these reasons nicely. In the first game Joel came close to dying and its only do to Ellie that he didnt and as you can see in the first 10 min of the first game, Naughty dog isnt afraid to send in the feel train. So do you think they are gonna off Joel? sound off below

Another theory is that Ellie has a child the fireflies took. Now again Gameranx kinda pricks a few holes into the theory but apperantly other games have hinted to it as well. I didnt really look into this one to much so i cant exactly say for sure my thoughts on it but what if and this is a big IF. What if...Ellie has a child that was taken and they killed joel? what if two of the most popular theories are true? To me that would just be wild. tell me what you guys think

Gameranx theory video

- Joel isn't dead

- We play as Ellie because she's the more popular character of the franchise (and she's now older to play as her viably)

- Ellie going to kill every last one of them because she believed the lie Joel told her at the end of TLOU, or some other reason (discovery of something post-TLOU that we cannot predict, so they might use some of that multi-games progression of events that they used in the Jak series via the sequels).

Naughty Dog haven't killed off a single one of their main characters in any of their games. A few secondary ones and main ones came close to dying all throughout but ND never committed on it. TLOU could be the first due to the sheer and one-sided attention to Ellie's character but it also might not happen due to the duo aspect of Ellie and Joel (regardless of if Ellie is old enough to take care of herself) and the (statement by them) "Joel and Ellie make up TLOU, it wouldn't be TLOU without both of them". Granted ND lie their asses off A LOT (I follow them heavily so I know this), despite what people may believe, but this is a genuine statement.

I really don't think they will kill of Joel. From the interview with Neil Druckmann I got the impression that they feel that the last of us couldn't exist without both characters. It's been a hugely popular IP, so it's likely they want to keep options open for a potential 3rd installment.

Then again, they were all so secretive, it might aswell be a ploy to throw us of. 2016: "We can't make the last of us without Joel en Ellie", 2022: "Psych! Joel is dead but that won't stop us from making part 3!". Everything we've seen may all just be them manipulating our expectations. They are very smart in using symbolism, but what does it mean? Take Joel's entrance. Is the light symbolic, because he died? Or is that just what they want to make us believe.

I doubt anything they have in store for this game is so obvious that half the internet thought of it straight after the first showing of the trailer.

At least I really hope they don't kill him of, but the TLoU team is pretty good in punching your in the gut, so I wouldn't put it past them.

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

I really don't think they will kill of Joel. From the interview with Neil Druckmann I got the impression that they feel that the last of us couldn't exist without both characters. It's been a hugely popular IP, so it's likely they want to keep options open for a potential 3rd installment.

Then again, they were all so secretive, it might aswell be a ploy to throw us of. 2016: "We can't make the last of us without Joel en Ellie", 2022: "Psych! Joel is dead but that won't stop us from making part 3!". Everything we've seen may all just be them manipulating our expectations. They are very smart in using symbolism, but what does it mean? Take Joel's entrance. Is the light symbolic, because he died? Or is that just what they want to make us believe.

I doubt anything they have in store for this game is so obvious that half the internet thought of it straight after the first showing of the trailer.

At least I really hope they don't kill him of, but the TLoU team is pretty good in punching your in the gut, so I wouldn't put it past them.

Naughty Dog always TRY to be deceptive. They did this with multiple Uncharted games and the Jak games, all in different ways. One thought ND's next game would be a Jak game since Uncharted played with vastly more open-world elements and design than the past iterations but nope. (However, it could have still been early testing or playing for a soon future release.) 

Alongside cliffhangers, this is what ND is known for. It's almost way too obvious Joel is not dead, especially given ND's WEAKNESS (yes they have weaknesses and plenty of it) to rely on secondary tag along characters. Naughty Dog can't make a game with a single character going on the journey mostly by themselves, even if you met random ones on the way. Ellie wouldn't interact, talk, or develop competently enough without some form of secondary character, ESPECIALLY since the stories aren't that good to actually carry a single character interestingly like that. The Jak series had this potential, Daxter was only good for the irrelevant comic relief (he wasn't needed for the narrative or Jak's development), but TLOU doesn't have that kind of narrative.

Overall it's a ploy to quite easily create controversy and keep the early developed game relevant (so it's not forgotten) and gradually growing and people speculating so they have even more interest and reason to buy it. Vaguely implying Joel can be dead is just a not sure if Ice Breaker is the correct term or Appetizer, to buy the game, since Joel is one of the most important aspects of the franchise.

Edited by Mar

The Fireflies are clearly inept and run by amateurs. I wouldn't put it past them to become agressive in the organisation's death throes and do something provocative, like attack the town that Ellie and Joel moved to at the end of TLoU. Something like this could be the source of Ellie's hatred. 

I don't think Joel will be dead though. Part of the game's mechanics, which is fundamental to the "2 people on a journey" story, is that the NPC can interact with the environment to assist the player character. If you're simply playing as Ellie talking to an inert ghost/memory from time to time, the gameplay and narrative would be too much of a departure from the first. 

Plus, ND wimped away from killing any of the secondary cast in any of the Uncharted games, despite huge foreshadowing in each respective game from U2 onwards that someone or other was going to die, and many twists where the character Nate thought had just died would appear again at the end of a cutscene or other later on. 

Granted, TLoU is a much darker franchise, so they could do it. But they're clearly scared of killing off any fan favourite characters. 

• Like 1

After the ending of The Last of Us, the fireflies were in shambles. Without solid leadership, and pretty much losing what they believed would be their upper hand against the military. They disband, and go their separate ways. A new infected form, something worse than what is already out there, is discovered and eventually decimates the remnants of the military as well. Possibly even created by some other organization that may have even caused the first plague in the first place. This organization, learns of Ellie's immunity.... and facing opposition at the settlement Joel and Ellie were staying at, slaughter a majority of the town. Ellie, who was at home at the time had to fight off  those that were trying to kidnap her, while Joel was out on patrol with his brother. 

Ellie decides that the bloodshed, would need to be paid in kind but Joel, after spending years in a somewhat peaceful existence wants nothing more than to let it be, and to rebuild/move on. Ellie set on her vengeance, she leaves on her own. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, X_Wizi_X said:

Joel will die. The trailer scene is one cutscene later in the game

I didn't know you worked for Naughty Dog. You must be considering how confident you are. Are your colleagues okay with you sharing this information? :P

13 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I just hope it has more infected this time around, the first game was kinda bland with more human combat

I found the human combat to be more engaging than the combat with the infected tbh. They're a lot smarter and adapt to different situations better. The infected just mindlessly chase you down when they see you. Both are enjoyable in their own ways, they just need to find a good balance. I would like more situations where both the infected and humans are in the same area at the same time, much like in the Left Behind DLC. It gave a whole new approach to combat when you could lure them together and make them fight each other.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

My prediction: at some point during the game, either Joel or Ellie will say the following words: "This truly is the last of us." / "Now we really are the last of us."

Seriously though, can hardly wait for the game. Even though I thought the gameplay of the first game was bland and I did not care for their feeling above using normal zombies, I loved it for the story being told and Uncharted 4 has proven to me that ND can and will improve on gameplay eventually.

On 14-12-2016 at 4:23 PM, Mar said:

- We play as Ellie because she's the more popular character of the franchise (and she's now older to play as her viably)

It's all opinions, naturally, but I thought Joel was a much more compelling character. Not that I did not like Ellie, I just liked Joel even more.

To weigh in on the death prediction, even though Naughty Dog has never offed a main character before, I would not be that surprised if either Joel or Ellie would die in the new game.

On 16-12-2016 at 8:22 AM, Undead Wolf said:

I would like more situations where both the infected and humans are in the same area at the same time, much like in the Left Behind DLC. It gave a whole new approach to combat when you could lure them together and make them fight each other.

Yeah, I agree. I really liked that part in the DLC and would like to see them use this kind of combat in The Last of Us Part II more. It makes the combat more diverse.

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:23 PM, Mar said:

- Joel isn't dead

- Ellie going to kill every last one of them because she believed the lie Joel told her at the end of TLOU, or some other reason (discovery of something post-TLOU that we cannot predict, so they might use some of that multi-games progression of events that they used in the Jak series via the sequels).

Naughty Dog haven't killed off a single one of their main characters in any of their games. A few secondary ones and main ones came close to dying all throughout but ND never committed on it. TLOU could be the first due to the sheer and one-sided attention to Ellie's character but it also might not happen due to the duo aspect of Ellie and Joel (regardless of if Ellie is old enough to take care of herself) and the (statement by them) "Joel and Ellie make up TLOU, it wouldn't be TLOU without both of them". Granted ND lie their asses off A LOT (I follow them heavily so I know this), despite what people may believe, but this is a genuine statement.

I don't think Joel is dead as Mar said above they have never killed off a main character in their franchise and I don't think they would do it now.

I am personally more interested in the tree markings as could be a new infected beast we could be dealing with  :jaymon:

• Like 2

My prediction is that Joel will die near the end of the game, thought I would rather not. The remaining fireflies are after Ellie and they probably attacked Tom's community and killed everyone, except Joel and Ellie. I don't like the theory that Joel will acompany you as a ghost for the whole game like 

Joker in Arkham Knight 

I like the idea of Ellie being the main character, but I wish we get to play as Joel sometimes.

Edited by TheGwynbleidd

2 minutes ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

To put something in a spoiler tage, type this in the text box (without code view):

[spoiler]text[/spoiler]

The way you did it, everyone can still see it. It's not in a spoiler tag. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Seriously though, can hardly wait for the game. Even though I thought the gameplay of the first game was bland and I did not care for their feeling above using normal zombies, I loved it for the story being told and Uncharted 4 has proven to me that ND can and will improve on gameplay eventually.

It's all opinions, naturally, but I thought Joel was a much more compelling character. Not that I did not like Ellie, I just liked Joel even more.

To weigh in on the death prediction, even though Naughty Dog has never offed a main character before, I would not be that surprised if either Joel or Ellie would die in the new game.

Funny, because TLOU had more gameplay depth and variety than the Uncharted games (a guys Youtube channel I know can convince you better than I can), which is one of several reasons why its still ND's best game. U4 barely offered anything new in the actual gameplay department. The grappling hook is a more restricted version of Jak's Jetboard (being useful sometimes instead of all the time), and only has uses in specific areas. Granted ND has provided a good amount throughout the game, but its nothing special, especially since the mechanic was directly taken from Uncharted 2 and made into a core mechanic in U4.

Its not an opinion at all, its logical sense. Ellie has been overshadowing Joel since the o.game released. Joel is merely a figure who kept her alive, regardless of how you (and I) feel about his character. ND never made a game with a female lead but we know why its happening for the first time, and ND will get to play it out very safely since theyll be able to have Joel tag along (for hand holding). All of this is common sense, especially since ND are fairly predictable in certain areas and have prominent weaknesses.

Joel's story is pretty much done, using him again as lead would corrupt the focus on Ellie. TLOU was about Ellie and still is with P2. Joel worked in P1 because he had his own alongside story and was harvesting Ellie's character. ND have been good at unintentionally putting things together/connecting things as they go along since the Jak games, to.

Edited by Mar

This is more of a dream than a prediction but i would love to have a semi-open levels and have the choice of wich caracter i could play (Joel or Elie). And having multiple ways of tackling the levels.

I think it could happen if we look at the improvement ND made with UC4 and some levels were semi-open (the jeep level or the boat level for instance). 

Anyhow, am i the one one here that REALLY wants to play once again Part 1 somewhere this year before Part 2 releases ?

Edited by dadoudelidou

49 minutes ago, Mar said:

Funny, because TLOU had more gameplay depth and variety than the Uncharted games (a guys Youtube channel I know can convince you better than I can), which is one of several reasons why its still ND's best game. U4 barely offered anything new in the actual gameplay department. The grappling hook is a more restricted version of Jak's Jetboard (being useful sometimes instead of all the time), and only has uses in specific areas. Granted ND has provided a good amount throughout the game, but its nothing special, especially since the mechanic was directly taken from Uncharted 2 and made into a core mechanic in U4.

Its not an opinion at all, its logical sense. Ellie has been overshadowing Joel since the o.game released. Joel is merely a figure who kept her alive, regardless of how you (and I) feel about his character. ND never made a game with a female lead but we know why its happening for the first time, and ND will get to play it out very safely since theyll be able to have Joel tag along (for hand holding). All of this is common sense, especially since ND are fairly predictable in certain areas and have prominent weaknesses.

Joel's story is pretty much done, using him again as lead would corrupt the focus on Ellie. TLOU was about Ellie and still is with P2. Joel worked in P1 because he had his own alongside story and was harvesting Ellie's character. ND have been good at unintentionally putting things together/connecting things as they go along since the Jak games, to.

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but I remember the gameplay of TLOU to be mostly only fights and walking in between fights (same for Uncharted 1-3 with dome platforming added), while Uncharted 4 added some more variety. I still think TLOU was a better game than U4 was though but that also has to do with how annoyed I have gotten with the Nate-whateverhernamewas romance, I just want Indiana Jones adventures.

I didn't really feel like Ellie was eclipsing Joel. I always saw TLOU as Joel's story, not Ellie's. Going more into that would require spoilered text but I guess you probably get how I mean. I do agree that Joel's story is done and Ellie is the one to continue on, though. His story being finished is how I can see them killing him off to make Ellie's journey more emotional.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2016 at 0:05 PM, SnowxSakura said:

I just hope it has more infected this time around, the first game was kinda bland with more human combat

I think that was kind of the point. The humans are the real violent monsters in the game, hence why there is so much more human combat than infected.

I think the fireflies go nuts after the Ellie incident and begins killing towns to find her. Ellie decides to enact her vengeance on them while Joel wants nothing to do with it. Ellie goes on her own to be reunited by Joel later. Ellie learns the truth of everything, the lies of Joel and how the fireflies were going to kill her...

I think Joel and/or Ellie will die, but in part III. 

52 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but I remember the gameplay of TLOU to be mostly only fights and walking in between fights (same for Uncharted 1-3 with dome platforming added), while Uncharted 4 added some more variety. I still think TLOU was a better game than U4 was though but that also has to do with how annoyed I have gotten with the Nate-whateverhernamewas romance, I just want Indiana Jones adventures.

I didn't really feel like Ellie was eclipsing Joel. I always saw TLOU as Joel's story, not Ellie's. Going more into that would require spoilered text but I guess you probably get how I mean. I do agree that Joel's story is done and Ellie is the one to continue on, though. His story being finished is how I can see them killing him off to make Ellie's journey more emotional.

Yeah TLOU had much more depth combat wise, shooting wise, and variety wise:

- More combat tools and scenarios besides the one-sided/same Uncharted ones (Uncharted: same combat and shooting situations all the time, aside from platforming-shooting which only works on a ledge.. tieing it with Jak II's/ND's [shoot while jumping] first innovation at the platforming shooting hybrid, even when placed on set piece settings like a boat -- just a change of scenary)

- (Way) More than 2 carrable guns at a time yet again unlike Uncharted (lol at long gun and pistol, which also so happens to not save between all chapters to keep the ones you like - that grammar) + other combat related weapons that arent just a grenade (looks at Uncharted....): molotov, nail bombs, shivs, etc (almost all of which yet adds another element of depth by having secondary purposes for their use)

- Crafting system (varies to). The health system is even (way) more rewarding and realistic than Uncharted's.

- Leveling up weapons + adding attachments + leveling up the main character himself

- Even rewarded for actual exploration, something that stopped after Jak 3 (Uncharted rewards you nadda for exploration... wait, Uncharted 4 fixed this a bit [cough, TLOU ethic] with new [TLOU like] collectibles that werent just treasures, right?

I can go on. TLOU has an immense more depth than Uncharted, and its quite evident how much TLOU did for Uncharted (4). Uncharted misleds ppl with its various variations of animations, which are sort of bad for being tied to randomly selected numbers and being scripted (yet it feels good though, typical ND formula). Combined with Uncharted's carried platforming... ok im going too far over my point. But TLOU is NDs first game since the Jak series to focus back on gameplay. Uncharted is way too focused on narrative and setpieces with minimum/passable, instead of great or amazing, gameplay. U4 is only better at gameplay because it had to directly burrow/steal and make own a grappling mechanic from U2 and took other elements from TLOU, blatantly, like stealth, melee combat (EXACT same, including c/p animations), and that marking system, instead of innovating in a unique Uncharted way. They even toned down the setpieces becayse of their own realization THANKS to TLOU. Uncharted will remain my least favorite series of theirs, even if it does resemble the many concepts of a realistic Jak reboot. Hopefully TLOU2 doesnt disappoint in gameplay.

Edited by Mar