Nintendo Switch hits out strong with 80,000 sold in UK launch

FlareXV

9 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nintendoswitch/

according to this site, yes, it is mostly still out of stock.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/consoles?nav=16k-3-switchlaunch,28zu0,13ffff2412

aside from a crazy bundle, all standard sku are out of stock at Gamestop.  Amazon US is also out of stock: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_23?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nintendo+switch+console&sprefix=nintendo+switch+console%2Caps%2C166&crid=25FHMW1X32TZD&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anintendo+switch+console

Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-consoles/pcmcat1484077694025.c?id=pcmcat1484077694025

I know that there are places to find it here and there but I think for the majority of places it is out of stock or simply hit or miss.

The listing at the top of the Amazon page you linked doesn't appear to be the official one according to all the 1-star reviews. This is the real one and it looks like it's still in stock: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Gray-Joy-Con/dp/B01LTHP2ZK/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1488850267&sr=1-4&keywords=nintendo+switch+console

Edited by Undead Wolf

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

The listing at the top of the Amazon page you linked doesn't appear to be the official one according to all the 1-star reviews. This is the real one and it looks like it's still in stock: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Gray-Joy-Con/dp/B01LTHP2ZK/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1488850267&sr=1-4&keywords=nintendo+switch+console

The retail price for the Switch is $299.  The cheapest option in this link is $435 plus shipping.  That is not an in stock sku but rather a re-seller.

9 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

The retail price for the Switch is $299.  The cheapest option in this link is $435 plus shipping.  That is not an in stock sku but rather a re-seller.

Ah, fair enough. :P I didn't see the "Temporarily out of stock" thing at the top, so I assumed it was still available. Strangely enough, I don't see an official listing from Amazon themselves, even one that says it's out of stock. It's all third party listings. 

13 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Ah, fair enough. :P I didn't see the "Temporarily out of stock" thing at the top, so I assumed it was still available. Strangely enough, I don't see an official listing from Amazon themselves, even one that says it's out of stock. It's all third party listings. 

Yeah, I noticed that too.  Not sure why they do that but I guess they don't consider it out of stock if its still available through their service.  I'm not sure though.  

14 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Yeah, I noticed that too.  Not sure why they do that but I guess they don't consider it out of stock if its still available through their service.  I'm not sure though.  

Confirmed. That's exactly how Amazon operates. Amazon would prefer people are ignorant about whether they're ordering it from Third Party or directly from Amazon. I know quite a few people who order regularly and I've pointed out how it works because they have no idea. Reference the Nintendo Classic as another example of the exact same scenario. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Considering how people didn't even know the Wii U was even a new console when it came out, I should hope the Switch had a better launch than that. :P

I wouldn't go so far as to say that those numbers are strong, but it's a solid launch at least. The thing is, though, Zelda is the only game of consequence releasing until late this year for that thing. Splatoon 2 isn't going to shift many systems and neither is a Mario Kart remaster. I see the sales dropping off a cliff until the new Mario comes out out at the end of the year. I mean the 3DS had a bad start as well, forcing Nintendo to reduce the price of the system, but you're saying it had a better launch than the Switch? That doesn't sound great... Of course, this is just the UK sales, so I guess things could look more positive when you take other regions into account.

Splatoon sold really well, actually. Around 5 million I believe which considering it was on a pretty much dead console is unheard of. 

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Confirmed. That's exactly how Amazon operates. Amazon would prefer people are ignorant about whether they're ordering it from Third Party or directly from Amazon. I know quite a few people who order regularly and I've pointed out how it works because they have no idea. Reference the Nintendo Classic as another example of the exact same scenario. 

makes sense but really not a good business practice in my opinion.  I think a disclaimer should be in order.  "Amazon is currently out of stock of this item but please consider these 3rd party options".  

23 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Splatoon sold really well, actually. Around 5 million I believe which considering it was on a pretty much dead console is unheard of. 

It sold well, but did it sell consoles? Those are two different things. I don't know the answer, but I can't imagine it would have sold more Wii U's than Mario Kart or Smash, especially since it was a new IP. By the time it released, most people who wanted a Wii U would have already bought one.