Top selling game in the Uk

Wuthg21

A couple of things:

1. A "perfect game" - I don't know if there even could be such a thing, but it is by no means perfect. I'm almost done with the main questline which tracks the downfall of our civilisation and these missions took you to too many boring and similar locations. Seen one purple filtered office-turned-cave, you've seen them all. One could also criticise the bad human enemy AI. It's not above criticism, excellent though it is - there is plenty which could be improved. 
  2. They didn't announce that it's the "best selling IP in the UK" - that gong would probably go to the CoD or Fifa series, or possibly GTA5 if you're talking about a single game. They announced that it's their bestselling new IP, which basically means it did better than No Mans Sky, which previously held that gong for Sony. This wording means that it could have, for example, sold worse than Uncharted 4. My bet would be that this is the case, otherwise they probably would have said that it had outsold Uncharted 4. You've got to watch the way this is reported. You got to watch out for the way companies - always keen to big themselves up - word these statements. We see things like Ubisoft announcing that their latest game has "achieved the highest sales for a new current-gen IP featuring a female protagonist with a anthropomorphic porcine sidekick" all the time - the wording qualifies the statement.

A link or two backing this up.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

A couple of things:

1. A "perfect game" - I don't know if there even could be such a thing, but it is by no means perfect. I'm almost done with the main questline which tracks the downfall of our civilisation and these missions took you to too many boring and similar locations. Seen one purple filtered office-turned-cave, you've seen them all. One could also criticise the bad human enemy AI. It's not above criticism, excellent though it is - there is plenty which could be improved. 
  2. They didn't announce that it's the "best selling IP in the UK" - that gong would probably go to the CoD or Fifa series, or possibly GTA5 if you're talking about a single game. They announced that it's their bestselling new IP, which basically means it did better than No Mans Sky, which previously held that gong for Sony. This wording means that it could have, for example, sold worse than Uncharted 4. My bet would be that this is the case, otherwise they probably would have said that it had outsold Uncharted 4. You've got to watch the way this is reported. You got to watch out for the way companies - always keen to big themselves up - word these statements. We see things like Ubisoft announcing that their latest game has "achieved the highest sales for a new current-gen IP featuring a female protagonist with a anthropomorphic porcine sidekick" all the time - the wording qualifies the statement.

A link or two backing this up.

Sorry for saying it weirdly, it's the biggest launch in the Uk for a new IP. I already have the platinum but i didn't have any problem with the story bringing you to "similar" locations. Almost every location is unique. Of course it's really hard for a game studio that never made an open world game to make such a game.

9 minutes ago, wuthg21 said:

i didn't have any problem with the story bringing you to "similar" locations.

It's not what I'd call a "problem" either. It's just a mild disappointment to me. When the open air locations are so wildly varied, beautiful and interesting, I get bummed out when the interesting story beats about the past all take place in purple, half decayed, rooms.

I wouldn't even say that this was enough to spoil the individual missions that take you to these places. Often on the way you'll have a battle with a huge machine or, at least, the mission will end with one, which more than make up for the samey interior environments.

One thing they could have done is combine these facilities with the Cauldrons... maybe. They're far more interesting locations with fun little platforming/traversal elements and machine fights, compared to just wandering corridors scanning things with your Focus in the actual questline. 

My point was that it's not perfect. It's overall excellent and I'm having a tonne of fun with it, but there are things I'd change for a sequel. 

9 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

It's not what I'd call a "problem" either. It's just a mild disappointment to me. When the open air locations are so wildly varied, beautiful and interesting, I get bummed out when the interesting story beats about the past all take place in purple, half decayed, rooms.

I wouldn't even say that this was enough to spoil the individual missions that take you to these places. Often on the way you'll have a battle with a huge machine or, at least, the mission will end with one, which more than make up for the samey interior environments.

One thing they could have done is combine these facilities with the Cauldrons... maybe. They're far more interesting locations with fun little platforming/traversal elements and machine fights, compared to just wandering corridors scanning things with your Focus in the actual questline. 

My point was that it's not perfect. It's overall excellent and I'm having a tonne of fun with it, but there are things I'd change for a sequel. 

I must say it's a pretty open end so i'm really looking out a dlc or another game. I was also happy the cauldrons weren't all the same. But yeah they could combine those 2 things even if it's not connected to each other ( cauldrons are for making machines and facilities for keeping the project alive ). Of course you could say it's not perfect but like i mentioned before it's they're first time doing this and they did it really well. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wuthg21 said:

they did it really well

Oh, no question there. It's one of the best and most interesting games in the genre I've played in a while. It doesn't do anything new, all of it's elements have been borrowed from other games, but the overall package is just spectacular. 

• Like 1

Just now, Natsuu24 said:

For me, it was on of the best games i ever played!! Sony create a new icon for sure! And maybe we will get DLC for this! GG are looking for new employers, so... ;)

I really love that kojima will use the engine from GG in Death stranding too :)

It's a great game, stunning looking, combat is a lot of fun, but it is flawed, disappointing in some respects even as @StrickenBiged says...   Human enemy AI isn't great, the world, albeit gorgeous, is a bit static in the sense that there's not an awful lot to interact with, some of the quest lines really missed a trick, the hunters lodge particularly, but my biggest gripe is with the very basic and ordinary 'rpg' elements, and the entire menu system, from constantly jumping in and out of the menu to switch weapons to item (non) management, is a bit messy and irritating tbh.   For instance, I bought a stack of 'boxes' from one of the merchants in Meridian, I was left with about 10 opened boxes containing rock packs, I couldn't drop them, neither the boxes themselves nor the ammo, I had to throw about 100 rocks just to get rid of them, it wasn't too clever.

It is a great game though, the gripes are minor, acceptable even, for a first entry or first attempt at this type of game, but there's certainly an awful lot of room for improvement.   I wouldn't pay too much attention to whatever PR is put out, nothing beyond whether the game is doing well or not at least, Strick quite humorously nailed that point. :)

Edited by RedMustang72

On 10/03/2017 at 9:37 AM, Natsuu24 said:

For me, it was on of the best games i ever played!! Sony create a new icon for sure! And maybe we will get DLC for this! GG are looking for new employers, so... ;)

Without a doubt but i still prefer the witcher 3 and mass effect 2! Horizon currently has 26,000 people playing, certainly some value must have

1 minute ago, Rose_OmnisLacrima said:

Without a doubt but i still prefer the witcher 3 and mass effect 2! Horizon currently has 26,000 people playing, certainly some value must have

Those are only the tracked gamers on psnprofiles, probably alot more.