One of the best VITA games

dwproject

Hello there,

i just want to say this game is the best top down / twin stick shooter i've played and one of the best VITA games in general. It's so much fun, addicting and has no lack of content like many other games. Im going to give you guys  some information on the trophy list, since i was asked about it.

First of all, the game is easy. You'll die after a while but you can spend your credits on permanent stat upgrades (very rogue like). Its recommended to boost your health, weapon damage and slot upgrades. Your ultimate goal is to destroy the final boss, Overseer 1.0. You always have to clear some levels in a row and defeat the stage boss to get a checkpoint (elevator in the game). If you die, you can choose your starting floor (when you unlocked it already by defeating the boss). Even if you're a bad gamer, you'll make progress by spending your credits on upgrades. 

The best part is, after defeating the Overseer 1.0 you can start from the beginning with your previous stats, but this time there are more enemies with more health but also much better loot. The endboss is, lets take a guess, Overseer 2.0. You can do this over and over until it gets really hard (currently stuck at Overseer 8.0).

Trophy wise its an easy game, but there are 2 trophies which are a bit tedious. The first one is the sneaky trophy which requires some skill and luck. The 2nd one is the unlock everything trophy, but if you use a guide for the few secret items its okay, just a bit time consuming since its random which special levels you encounter (around 10 fix special levels per level stage (1-6) but its random which one out of the 10 you'll get).

Give this game a shot, its definitely worth it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

The game plays terribly on the vita. I had frame rate drops to a few frames per second and then died when the frame rate recovered. You'd be better off playing it on the ps4 with remote play on the vita if you wanted it to run well on the vita.

It happened to me as well on some levels with infinite enemy-respawn. If this happens just take the elevator to the next level. Except that the game plays perfectly fine on the VITA for me, it's a great game except the frame rate issues.

Aren't the trophies also a glitch fest? Only 6 people have 100% the game. Seems it's a common theme to put a game that can't be properly be beat on PS+ especially on the Vita. I would love to see more top down shmups for the Vita

Edit: right away I realized I was thinking about another game, just read a guide that had an obtainable platinum for the Vita version, but not for the PS4 version. This game just seems really tough.

Edited by SNACH2497
mistake

8 hours ago, SNACH2497 said:

Aren't the trophies also a glitch fest? Only 6 people have 100% the game. Seems it's a common theme to put a game that can't be properly be beat on PS+ especially on the Vita. I would love to see more top down shmups for the Vita

Edit: right away I realized I was thinking about another game, just read a guide that had an obtainable platinum for the Vita version, but not for the PS4 version. This game just seems really tough.

Just got 100 %, there is not a single trophy glitched, everything unlocks as soon as you fulfil the trophy requirement. I don't know why the game has such a low completion rate, but all i can think of is because of the 8 hidden items. You'll need a guide for those, can be found by searching the web ;) 

6 hours ago, brunorossin said:

I watched Neon Chrome  gameplay on youtube and it looks like Hotline Miami. Am I wrong or it play/looks like Hotline Miami?

Yes, it plays similar to hotline miami, and to be honest is really good. Tons of fun, you should play it.

• Like 1

I dismissed this game because we've got more than a few twin stick shooters from PS+ already and it's not really my genre. Might need to give the game a chance in the end.

6 hours ago, brunorossin said:

I watched Neon Chrome  gameplay on youtube and it looks like Hotline Miami. Am I wrong or it play/looks like Hotline Miami?

2 minutes ago, Carlver said:

Yes, it plays similar to hotline miami, and to be honest is really good. Tons of fun, you should play it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Hotline Miami a "GTA on the NES" type deal? Thought that would be a bit different than being a twin stick shooter.

44 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I dismissed this game because we've got more than a few twin stick shooters from PS+ already and it's not really my genre. Might need to give the game a chance in the end.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Hotline Miami a "GTA on the NES" type deal? Thought that would be a bit different than being a twin stick shooter.

I think you are mistaken with retro city rampage, whic is like the first GTAs, top down view. Hotline miami is definitely twin stick, though I wouldn't know if considering it a shooter. A lot of time you are using melee attacks in that game. But neon chrome is very similar, and you should play it, it's free after all and a good game :)

1 minute ago, Carlver said:

I think you are mistaken with retro city rampage, whic is like the first GTAs, top down view. Hotline miami is definitely twin stick, though I wouldn't know if considering it a shooter. A lot of time you are using melee attacks in that game. But neon chrome is very similar, and you should play it, it's free after all and a good game :)

Right, my bad. I guess it's because I played neither, but Retro City Rampage is getting a sequel that I'm interested in and that one is called Shakedown Hawaii, which definitely sounds like a sequel to Hotline Miami.

Well, "free"... I pay for PS+ almost only for the IGC games, still good value to me. And I already have the game either way. It's just that I have many other IGC games still untouched, so I constantly need to make choices about what to play and what to ignore.

21 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Right, my bad. I guess it's because I played neither, but Retro City Rampage is getting a sequel that I'm interested in and that one is called Shakedown Hawaii, which definitely sounds like a sequel to Hotline Miami.

Well, "free"... I pay for PS+ almost only for the IGC games, still good value to me. And I already have the game either way. It's just that I have many other IGC games still untouched, so I constantly need to make choices about what to play and what to ignore.

Didn't know about the sequel, but looks incredible like the first, so thanks about that.

Just now, Carlver said:

Didn't know about the sequel, but looks incredible like the first, so thanks about that.

You're welcome. Personally I didn't care for Retro City Rampage, I generally don't like pixel games (Shovel Knight being a recent exception), but Shakedown Hawaii with its 16-bit instead of 8-bit graphics just does the trick for me I guess.

On 6/21/2017 at 8:16 AM, Shuric1981 said:

It is a really good game definitely. I like it very much, but I do not understand hot to go stealth and blow up 8 enemies at once. Do I understand right that purple levels are special?

The stealth trophy is indeed the hardest trophy in the game, but don't panic, you'll get it sooner or later. Don't try to get it in the early stages since the elevator is too far away (the level layout isn't as "random" as in later stages). Instead, in later stages the green elevator is sometimes just 2 or 3 rooms away from your starting point. Also try to use the hacker and not the assassin, the reason for it is, that your companion drone can take out enemies for you and it doesn't void the trophy (just stay in the corners and move slowly to get your drone moving). Also take a high-levels non explosive weapon with you to take out single enemies with one shot.

The explosion trophy is very easy to get in some special stages, there are a few stages with tons of barrels and small spiders. If you haven't unlocked this trophy by the end of getting all other trophies, equip the rocket launcher and simply tank/kite all enemies together and blow them up. But 99% you'll get this trophy just by playing.

And yes, the purple stages are the special stages (if you ask me, there is nothing special to them, just keep in mind that there are special levels with a hidden golden box, which you'll need, use a guide since finding them by your own is nearly impossible). In the level "overview" you can spot special stages if there is a small rectangle between the main stages). The special stages are chosen randomly from a pattern which is based on the floor you are, so some special stages can only appear in floor 1 while other are only reachable in floor 3 or 4.

If you have more question, just feel free to ask :)

• Like 1

dwproject, thanks for tips :) I only miss one trophy with special levels now. Here are my tips from other site. Hope it will be helpful:

First of all I recommend to play a game without paying attention to trophies. I also recommend to level up luck and play as a hacker in order to get more money. Even if you beat Overseer 0.1 you can downgrade to it again.

Pacifist
Finish a normal level without using abilities, weapons or melee.

Try it on the first floor and level up your health. I recommend using a power shield and buy health/speed enhancement from the start. Just storm through the level and you should be fine. Moreover, you can download a level, get a route, quit and play it again from scratch.

Runner
Finish a normal level in under 20 seconds.

Very similar to the previous one. Get more health and speed, download first floor level, see the route to the lift, quit and play it again. 

Sneaky
Finish a normal level without being seen.

You can get this until nobody gets an exclamation mark over their head on a level. You may try assassin and rail gun, but I recommend to wait for one particular level on the second floor. It has only one heavy enemy and a red key. Just grab the key stealthy and go to the exit. Nice and easy. You can recognize this level based on many dead bodies. 

Grit
Play 20 levels without dying. 20th Jun 2017

This should come naturally. Just buy 10 slots and you will get it easy enough.

Spiderbot
Defeat the spiderbot.

Story related. Just beat the boss. You may circle around him and shoot. 

Centipede
Defeat the centipede.

Story related. Just beat the boss. It wont hurt to have an enhancement that allows you not to trigger bombs.

Hovertank
Defeat the hovertank.

Story related. Just beat the boss. This one is very easy: just shoot and dodge.

Hard Work
Kill 1000 enemies.

This should come naturally. You should shout around 1000 enemies on your way to Overseer.

Explosive
Kill 8 enemies with a single explosion.

First of all you need explosives. It did not work with mini rockets for me, but rockets did it. You may get this trophy on Spiderbot level. Do not shoot spawn points, kill the boss, gather mini spiders together and shoot the rocket.

You've just been erased
Kill 3 enemies with a single railgun bullet. 3

First you should find this gun on one of the second floor levels. The perfect place to get this trophy is Spiderbot fight. It spawns a lot of small spiders. Wait till they are grouped together and shoot.

Overseer
Stop the Overseer 1.0.

Story related. Just beat the boss.

You're special
Complete all special levels.

I did not get it yet. And I am not quite sure which levels are special. The ones with the purple lifts? I do not know.

Stat Master
Upgrade a stat to level 100.

Level up luck in order to get more money for upgrades. It's not hard, but involves a grind.

Unlocker
You should unlock every weapon, ability and enhancement in the game. When you use terminals at the start of the game you may see which ones you lack and the floor they are situated. The problem is with the secret features, but thankfully you mey find a good guide to get them here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=681536111

On 6/27/2017 at 8:38 AM, Shuric1981 said:

You're special
Complete all special levels.

I did not get it yet. And I am not quite sure which levels are special. The ones with the purple lifts? I do not know.

Yes you are correct, the purple elevators lead to special stages. I got this when i farmed those for the secret items. You can check your progress in the main hub.

On 6/26/2017 at 11:33 AM, fbdbh said:

Framerate and loading times are horrible on the Vita. I find this game almost unplayable.

For me the frame rate only dropped significantly on later stages (overseer 3.0 upwards). The loading times, yes, there horrible.