How the Switch changed my gaming habits

Paleblood

11 hours ago, iamjax said:

The only thing in your post I don't agree with at all, and am kind of scratching my head at (and I know you're not the only one that does this), is the whole "I've actually spoiled games for myself looking at trophies". I guess as someone who has left forums because people were spoiling games left and right for me, I would NEVER think to read over story spoilers or anything like that. When GOW leaked its trophy list, I avoided it like the plague. The only thing I knew was that there were no missables, but even if it had a trophy like "kill the Valkyrie Queen without taking damage on a secret difficulty that gives her 999999999 health", I would have still played it given it was a game I was highly anticipating and wanted to experience. Platinum or not, I wasn't about to read the trophy descriptions to see how it ended or even get hinted how it would. It would be mildly disappointing if the platinum had a bullshit trophy I wanted no parts of in vein of a Mein Leben, but I would have still played it and certainly wouldn't have gone out of my way to spoil a story heavy game for the sake of ensuring my platinum.

That is also the main reason why I stopped. It's the thing I mentioned afterwards which is important: ''I cannot control myself''. I hate spoilers and I hated to look up trophy lists for games I hadn't played. I just couldn't stop doing it because I prioritized plats so much.

I actually spoiled myself a HUGE plot point in NieR: Automata. It's my Game of the Year 2017 nonetheless but I'd have actually enjoyed it way more if I hadn't done that. But I'm also kinda glad it happend because that was the wake-up call I needed.

Now it's smooth-sailing for me. I enjoy the game and if I want to play it more after I'm done with the story I go for the plat. Just the way it should have always been.

On 09/05/2018 at 9:50 AM, SquidBaronet said:

That's good to know. I think I will try that no-notifications thing later.

I love it, I always turn notifications off for the first playthrough in a story heavy game. Those pop-up sounds and images are too distracting. Adding to that, I'd say don't look at a trophy list before your first playthrough. If a game is worth a 100% completion, it's worth a second playthrough for missable trophies.