Sony Releases Official PlayStation 4 Specs

Chambers35

Sony is fleshing out the specs of the PlayStation 4 with more detailed information on the system's processor, GPU, and disc drive.

Sony revealed some general specs for the PlayStation 4 during its conference last night, but a new press release from the company sheds a little more light on the system. Here's the rundown, straight from Sony:

• CPU: single-chip custom processor, x86-64 AMD "Jaguar," 8 cores
  • GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon-based graphics engine
  • Memory: 8GB GDDR5
  • Built-in hard disk drive (Sony didn't specify how big the hard drive will be)
  • 6X Blu-Ray Drive, 8X DVD
  • USB 3 and Auxiliary ports (Sony didn't specify how many ports)
  • Gigabit Ethernet port, 802.11 B/G/N built-in WiFi, and Bluetooth 2.1
  • HDMI, Analog-AV, and digital optical outputs

During the press conference, Sony also stressed that including 8GB of GDDR5 memory was the number-one request from developers; 8GB provides over 30 times the amount of memory the PS3 has.

Source

I have no clue what all that means :huh: So someone please tell me if it's good :D

Edited by Chambers35

• CPU: single-chip custom processor, x86-64 AMD "Jaguar," 8 cores - Depends on Programming but good
  • GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon-based graphics engine - See above
  • Memory: 8GB GDDR5 - Probably one of the most expensive things in the machine, but very good, even though we don't know the timing
  • Built-in hard disk drive (Sony didn't specify how big the hard drive will be) - wish it was an SSD, we can always dream ...
  • 6X Blu-Ray Drive, 8X DVD - pretty standard, but good as means price stays down
  • USB 3 and Auxiliary ports (Sony didn't specify how many ports) - USB3 very good (if pepherials compatible)

Hope this answers whether it's good or not :)

It is going to be difficult to cool though - not good news if you remember the problems on the fatty !

• Like 3

Aux port is required for the new PSeye camera so thats one down.

hard drive size will be price point difference but expect at least 500GB as this console is supposed to preload games you might like based on your play history.....

as for cooling well my fatboy is 5 years old and still going strong ;)

• CPU: single-chip custom processor, x86-64 AMD "Jaguar," 8 cores - Depends on Programming but good
  • GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon-based graphics engine - See above
  • Memory: 8GB GDDR5 - Probably one of the most expensive things in the machine, but very good, even though we don't know the timing
  • Built-in hard disk drive (Sony didn't specify how big the hard drive will be) - wish it was an SSD, we can always dream ...
  • 6X Blu-Ray Drive, 8X DVD - pretty standard, but good as means price stays down
  • USB 3 and Auxiliary ports (Sony didn't specify how many ports) - USB3 very good (if pepherials compatible)

Hope this answers whether it's good or not :)

It is going to be difficult to cool though - not good news if you remember the problems on the fatty !

Oh the fatty fatty two by four. :(

lol my fatty ended up with YLOD after 5 years of gaming ;)DONT BE SAYING BAD THINGS!!!

SSD would be so much better for heat and speed, but depends how big they really want it to be :)

pre-loading is not a good idea imo

If you console is supposed to sleep and wake up and download stuff as you play then an SSD is going to make a world of difference. I honestly expect a 256 and 512 GB SSD as the local storage but the icons shown the other night at the big show were all HDD icons, not SSD :(

Unless the option is a hybrid HDD. Stick a 32GB of flash on to a 1TB hdd and I am sold! :D.

My fat boy sits under the tv with the side out to suck in cool air and it vents the warm in the direction of the fireplace, so its all good! Plus it gets vaccuumed every fortnight.

128 aint worth squat. If PS3 games such as KZ2 and UC2:AT run to about 20GB and KZ3 clocks in at nearer 30GB you aint going to put much on to a 128GB especially when the talk is that speculation is that the PS4 will support 4KHD. the step between 720p and 1080p seems to make a game about 1.3 times bigger than for the lower res - what will 4 times the pixels be like?

End of the day PS3's didn't have much HD to start with and are ending with low HDD too ;)

It all depends on how many games you have installed at any one time.

I now have lots, but only because I can - when I had 60Gig it was enough too :)

In general I'd prefer a 128 SSD over a 500GB HDD - but I'd agree 256 better, but then price will hit.

Make them changeable, I'll start with 128 and upgrade when price drops/I have the money :P

My fat boy sits under the tv with the side out to suck in cool air and it vents the warm in the direction of the fireplace, so its all good! Plus it gets vaccuumed every fortnight.

128 aint worth squat. If PS3 games such as KZ2 and UC2:AT run to about 20GB and KZ3 clocks in at nearer 30GB you aint going to put much on to a 128GB especially when the talk is that speculation is that the PS4 will support 4KHD. the step between 720p and 1080p seems to make a game about 1.3 times bigger than for the lower res - what will 4 times the pixels be like?

No 4k games, on the PS4. It will support 4k output for video (whenever they actually get there), but not games.

I would prefer SSD as well but I don't think it's realistic given the space you're going to need and its current cost. The RAM is the key factor, which is why it's what the devs were asking for, and the real key is that this will look VERY similar to the new Xbox's specs, meaning that the days of crappy ports and devs complaining about how hard the PS3 is should be gone.

• Like 1

the spec leaks for the xbox have continually suggested 8GB of DDR3 in the next xbox and they always had GDDR5 listed in for the PS4.

I know they got the quantity wrong at 4GB but its going to be a big surprise for the xbox to have GDDR5 now, especially since programming on games should have started at least 12 months ago.

My limited knowledge of the difference is that DDR3 needs more current to runs so generates more heat than DDR5

and DDR5 handles large quantities of information very quickly where DDR3 is better at handling smaller quantities of information.

What this all means is beyond me - so if anyone can explain the difference, please do so.

Edited by Nasty_Rory

They weren't built for the same thing to begin with, it's actually GDDR5 so created initially for graphics cards, not 'mother board' tasks, whereas DDR3 is.

Obviously in consoles this is slightly different as it is all intricately linked compared to a PC ;)

But also Xbox is supposed to basically be windows 8 in a console housing, as it expects to use quarter to almost half the RAM on behind the scenes stuff

I have an PC and windows takes a good chunk of that memory thus with my current PC with Windows 7 on it I went the 16 gigs route for the RAM and an speed boot HD to nullify Windows notorious bogdown speed. Still with that PS 4 memory being this powerful and at 8 Gigs it's a very good start. Maybe I'll wait 6 months after the next Bethesda game being released if they know their stuff since Bethesda games are memory heavy on the consoles.