Choices don´t matter (possible Spoilers inside)

So what are your thoughts on this movie like game?

On my first playthrough i thought this is a decent telltale like game, even without the walking around sections. The planet of the apes franchise is a solid foundation. The story is ok and for 19,99 i would say go for it if you like easy story.

But then again the story feels bit short. So going for the platinum really showed the weaknesses of Last Frontier. Same problem as most of this game genres. In the end, your choices don´t matter at all. Tried to lose the fight against Tola .... same outcome even if i never press X. As for "Humans win" "Apes Win" "Peaceful Ending" for me they were just too similar.

And what is the purpose of the PlayLink integration. Why would i play this with my friends? 

So now on the finish line seeing everything my personal rating rapidly went down. From maybe a 7/10 to a maybe 5/10.

+ First Story experience

+ Graphics are good

+ Price won´t hurt much

- "Choices"

- All other playthroughs

- Gameplay because there isn´t any

- PlayLink was a disappointment

So in the end, what you´ll see is what you get. If you haven´t bought Last Frontier yet, wait for a good sale.  

• Like 2

Somewhat true (though "your choices don't matter at all" is always false), but I'd argue that choices here matter similiarly to how they do in Telltale - for example, interactions with one character can change whether they live through one part of the game or not (whereas other characters are either only killable at certain points, always die, or are just plain impossible to kill). You can also get stuck into an ending path if you choose to play "always negative"/"always positive" on only one side (such as having Bryn or Jess betray the other side automatically on an otherwise peaceful route).

Spoiler

You can lose to Tola if you choose "Mercy" after the fight and got Juno killed earlier as then Tola will crack your skull :P But yeah, that is one of the QTE parts that have no "lose" result (there are only a few where there is such as result such as with Maria & Reeves on the "Shoot" QTE in the armory).

4 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Been looking at this game but after what you have said ill wait for a sale i think. How long is it to plat and how many playthroughs if you play your first only for enjoyment?

What would be your entry point? 20 euros is already a pretty decent price for this, in my opinion. The platinum with a trophy guide is about 12 hours (based on fastest earners) going with a 3 playthrough strategy pretty much perfected by @Leo_the_Lion25 in his guides over on the playstationtrophies.org forums (he goes by Blaze Naruto Shippuden there). A "just for fun" playthrough can change that estimate a bit based on how you play (the trophy guide at org has it listed as 6 without guides although for me personally as well as others who struggled near the official release and whom were in contact with me on PS4, it was easily 10-18+ since the descriptions are vague and it was annoying trying to figure out some of the triggers :P)

I gave it a 3 in my review, short review: story was boring, choices only matter at the end of the game, graphics take too long to render for cut scenes (a lot of scenes start looking like playdough then get better while rendering), bad voice acting, and unlike 'late shift' which is a narrative movie game that came out earlier this year I didn't enjoy playing the last frontier

Here's my video review of it if you want more details: 

Edited by Muskratateer
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, zadorvp said:

Somewhat true (though "your choices don't matter at all" is always false), but I'd argue that choices here matter similiarly to how they do in Telltale - for example, interactions with one character can change whether they live through one part of the game or not (whereas other characters are either only killable at certain points, always die, or are just plain impossible to kill). You can also get stuck into an ending path if you choose to play "always negative"/"always positive" on only one side (such as having Bryn or Jess betray the other side automatically on an otherwise peaceful route).

True, but this is what i don´t like in this type of games. If i decide for myself for example to kill or leave out Willits and Reeves than why not create a storyline and don´t force "your" (the original story) on me. Or get beaten up by Tola. etc etc

graphics somewhat took some rendering sometimes but this didn´t bothered me.

1 hour ago, BDRick35 said:

True, but this is what i don´t like in this type of games. If i decide for myself for example to kill or leave out Willits and Reeves than why not create a storyline and don´t force "your" (the original story) on me. Or get beaten up by Tola. etc etc

graphics somewhat took some rendering sometimes but this didn´t bothered me.

Yup, this is unfortunately a common problem in choice-based games. Actual variation in the stories will hit some limit at some point - we're never truly able to choose how everything will go (especially noticeable in the Telltale games when characters will make forced choices in scenes that do not necessarily match how you would have been playing the characters up until then).

4 hours ago, Muskratateer said:

It's a movie

there should be no trouble rendering scenes that literally are the same every time you play it.

this should bother you

why?

was like maybe one second. nothing gamebreaking, so i see no big problem here

9 hours ago, BDRick35 said:

why?

was like maybe one second. nothing gamebreaking, so i see no big problem here

Some took well into the scene to be fully rendered and sounds to be there as well.  For a game that is literally a movie it should be done perfectly in all honesty, you shouldn't be giving this a pass