Xbox Game Pass will include brand new launch games

Bloodbornium

I don't like the direction Microsoft is taking. This will probably affect the whole gaming industry. I can understand that the lack of exclusive titles and lower sales compared to Sony has forced them to give some of their exclusive AAA titles for just 10$ per month. This is another step to making gaming digital only. No thanks, I prefer to buy the physical copy of a game rather that thin air. 

Edited by TheGwynbleidd
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind a "Netflix for Games" on PC. Hell, I even tried OnLive back in the day.

Not so much on console though... don't know why. Just seems to fit PC way better.

A 10€ Steam subscription to play the whole catalog... I would be down with that. Those who want to buy the games could still do so.

14 hours ago, Valyrious said:

It 100% isn't. You're telling your customers that your exclusives aren't worth much. If I was an Xbox gamer, and I heard this news, I'd be happy, but frightened as well.

You're setting the precedence that your games aren't worth much, if you will put all your exclusives at launch on this cheap game pass subscription. While I understand the mentality that everybody wants every game ever for free, this is just dangerous.

And again, I KNOW Playstation gamers will feel entitlement and demand Sony matches this. And I absolutely do not want them to do that. I want Sony's developers to make money and continue making games. This is NOT good for developers. Anybody that thinks otherwise... is a fool.

The only thing I want is more AAA game for plus. Now recently Sony has been doing a great job about it. I just hope they continue with that

9 hours ago, Sicho said:

I wouldn't mind a "Netflix for Games" on PC. Hell, I even tried OnLive back in the day.

Not so much on console though... don't know why. Just seems to fit PC way better.

A 10€ Steam subscription to play the whole catalog... I would be down with that. Those who want to buy the games could still do so.

PS Now basically does that.

Netflix streams movies...

PS Now streams... PS4 and PS3 games.

The only difference is that PS Now is more expensive.

I do feel like Sony will be more aggressive with PS Now, especially with Games Pass becoming more valuable for consumers. But who can really say for sure. People gotta buy into PS Now for that to happen.

Just now, RNumbers said:

Mostly just people taking stuff way too seriously. You're better off not knowing if you really haven't read the previous posts.

I just read all the previous ones, was just interested to see since the part that got knocked off was the part that was quoting me.

Either way, since I'm here anyway.

. Game Pass offers tremendous value.

. You don't only get the games for 30 days.

. This won't be bad for the whole industry as no one else has the ability or the balls to do what Microsoft is doing, and Microsoft is already lagging with sales so GP ain't the cause.

. Xbox Game Pass is great and when the year I got for free is up, I'll probably genuinely consider paying for a sub, hopefully by then they have a yearly option for 70/80 odd though.

Remember when people were all pissed off about PS+ becoming mandatory, and how that would ruin PlayStation? But then it didn't, and all you idiots just shut up and gave them your money? As per usual, you should be more like me, and not give them anything until they give you a reason. Because after I dropped Plus for a good few months they sent me a code for 18 months for the price of 12, and considering I had mostly dropped Plus due to it's price rise, this worked out fine. 

10 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Remember when people were all pissed off about PS+ becoming mandatory, and how that would ruin PlayStation? But then it didn't, and all you idiots just shut up and gave them your money? As per usual, you should be more like me, and not give them anything until they give you a reason. Because after I dropped Plus for a good few months they sent me a code for 18 months for the price of 12, and considering I had mostly dropped Plus due to it's price rise, this worked out fine. 

Oh man, I love it. I even drew up a sweet WWSBD t-shirt in paint, but couldn't figure out how to post it before losing the motivation to keep trying. :( 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

Oh man, I love it. I even drew up a sweet WWSBD t-shirt in paint, but couldn't figure out how to post it before losing the motivation to keep trying. :( 

Posting photos on here is way more hassle than it needs to be. You gotta have it uploaded somewhere else and then you can link it basically. I usually stash stuff on Facebook set to be seen only by me, then link the photo onto here. You click "copy image address" and then you can paste it on here, like so. 

I-Am-The-Greatest.jpg

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-01-29-for-the-consumer-xbox-game-pass-is-fantastic-for-retail-it-just-kills-us-outright

Another notable reaction was that of Austrian retailer Gameware, which declared it will no longer stock Xbox products as a result. The argument is that if every Xbox sale essentially equips customers with access to a service as increasingly comprehensive as Game Pass, repeat business with those customers is minimal - why would they head to Gameware when they can subscribe and receive new Xbox releases automatically?

It's easy to dismiss this as an extreme reaction, but GamesIndustry.biz has been speaking to various UK independent retailers and many of these businesses are just as unhappy.

"Essentially, it's made [our Xbox business] worthless overnight," Stuart Benson of Leicestershire store Extreme Gamez tells us. "You've got the whole section sat there, and why would people buy a £12 to £15 second-hand game when they can just pay a tenner and get a massive catalogue of titles to keep them going? Effectively overnight they've wiped massive value off our company and made it not worth doing.

"Why should we support them and sell their consoles and accessories if we're going to get very little out of it? We don't make anything off their digital selection. It's pretty pointless. We might as well go where we're supported, which is Sony."

Yup... it's just as bad as I thought it was gonna be...

Microsoft wouldn't be doing it if they didn't think it would make money. Getting people to sub probably leads to more long term revenue from that consumer than selling individual products. Since I bought a Netflix sub, I haven't bought a DVD/Blu-Ray. 

People also don't tend to un-subscribe from services they no longer need as efficiently as they should if they were behaving like the "rational" agents assumed in micro-economic theory. I know I left it for years to cancel my TV package after getting a Netflix sub, even though my viewing habits had changed and I exclusively watched Netflix/Youtube/catch-up services, and stopped watching live TV entirely. (I know that's anecdotal evidence, but I doubt I'm the only one. There was this niggling fear that if we cancelled we could "miss out" on something and it wasn't that expensive per month.)

My guess would be that Game Pass would follow a similar trend, that once people subscribe they seldom un-subscribe. 

Having a reliable income stream could also be good for games - companies might feel less pressure to get a game out in any particular financial year, so we might see fewer rushed games.

There's also the point that MS and Sony have different histories, which probably inform their business philosophy to some degree. MS has historically been a software and services company. Sony has historically sold products. It makes sense that their different reactions to market trends would be informed by their histories. MS sees the rise in streaming services in other entertainment markets and says "great, we can do that too with our existing infrastructure and sell another service, we don't care if you access it via XBOX or PC". Sony says "great, we can sell another product which can access services, but we don't want to give them too much service because then they won't buy our other products".