Playstation Vue

hotdog_president

3 hours ago, hotdog_president said:

Anyone have it? Thoughts good/bad?

I'm looking at getting it, but haven't seen any reviews that aren't affiliate marketers within the past 6 months. Any pro/cons would be greatly appreciated!

A lot of people (myself included) has had a situation where Vue can't recognize where you are.  In fact, it showed me to be half way across the country.  Thus, my local channels were not local, and other programming foibles.  I liked it and it had a decent price, but I've heard that you will blow through data like there is no tomorrow.

On 2/4/2018 at 11:32 PM, hotdog_president said:

Anyone have it? Thoughts good/bad?

I'm looking at getting it, but haven't seen any reviews that aren't affiliate marketers within the past 6 months. Any pro/cons would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks @LordNEET!

I've been using Vue since they made it available in my area. It's passed the wife test and as of October 2017, the parents (who are grandparents) test for usability. It is still experiencing a few growing pains, for instance on Superbowl Sunday, there was about 15 minutes where there was no way to change the channel from what you were on, but that's the most traffic they've had at one time since they started and it resolved quickly.

I use it on PS4, PS3, Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, various Android phones and tablets, iPhone 6 and up and iPads. I've accessed it with five devices simultaneously and had no issues. Each stream pulls about 3-5 mbps and comes in non-compressed, broadcast quality. If it broadcasts in 720p or 1080i, that's the quality of the picture you're going to get.

@Bilpe I had one issue when I moved about 5 miles away and I couldn't get Vue to recognize my move. I called/chatted with support, who gave me a $20 credit and apologized, but the service was still pretty young. I found my solution was to let my subscription lapse for 1 day, waited 24 hours and then signed back up. All my saved shows were still there, but that seemed to update my information and I no longer got that annoying Warning message that didn't really affect anything.

Averaging 4 hours of TV on weekdays and 16 hours on weekends (roughly ~42 hours of TV a week) is around 600 GB of data a month. There is a setting on Fire TV's that will check to see if someone is still viewing and that can be set for 1, 2, or 4 hours. I'd recommend setting that for 1 hour reminders so that it stops streaming if no one hits a button on the remote. It's like the equivalent of motion detection light switches that shut off when someone leaves a room.

Pros:

• Price for what you get/cable equivalent
  • No additional taxes/fees
  • 5 streams at once
  • Unlimited DVR
  • Device support
  • Simple interface
  • On Demand access
  • No Long Term contracts

Cons:

• No Viacom (If you're into that sort of thing)

It's hard to create a good Pro Con list unless you talk about what you're looking to get out of it and what's keeping you paying for cable.

• Like 1

Just started my Vue 5 day trial a few days ago to check Out the Olympics and so far I am digging it. I’m a big wrestling fan so I’m excited to watch RAW and Smackdown live since I haven’t had any type of cable in like 8 years. Only thing I’m not huge on is the navigation, feels a little sloppy but after messing around a while I can manage. Other than that though I’m all in on it right now.

52 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Thanks @LordNEET!

I've been using Vue since they made it available in my area. It's passed the wife test and as of October 2017, the parents (who are grandparents) test for usability. It is still experiencing a few growing pains, for instance on Superbowl Sunday, there was about 15 minutes where there was no way to change the channel from what you were on, but that's the most traffic they've had at one time since they started and it resolved quickly.

I use it on PS4, PS3, Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, various Android phones and tablets, iPhone 6 and up and iPads. I've accessed it with five devices simultaneously and had no issues. Each stream pulls about 3-5 mbps and comes in non-compressed, broadcast quality. If it broadcasts in 720p or 1080i, that's the quality of the picture you're going to get.

@Bilpe I had one issue when I moved about 5 miles away and I couldn't get Vue to recognize my move. I called/chatted with support, who gave me a $20 credit and apologized, but the service was still pretty young. I found my solution was to let my subscription lapse for 1 day, waited 24 hours and then signed back up. All my saved shows were still there, but that seemed to update my information and I no longer got that annoying Warning message that didn't really affect anything.

Averaging 4 hours of TV on weekdays and 16 hours on weekends (roughly ~42 hours of TV a week) is around 600 GB of data a month. There is a setting on Fire TV's that will check to see if someone is still viewing and that can be set for 1, 2, or 4 hours. I'd recommend setting that for 1 hour reminders so that it stops streaming if no one hits a button on the remote. It's like the equivalent of motion detection light switches that shut off when someone leaves a room.

Pros:

• Price for what you get/cable equivalent
  • No additional taxes/fees
  • 5 streams at once
  • Unlimited DVR
  • Device support
  • Simple interface
  • On Demand access
  • No Long Term contracts

Cons:

• No Viacom (If you're into that sort of thing)

It's hard to create a good Pro Con list unless you talk about what you're looking to get out of it and what's keeping you paying for cable.

Thanks for the information... this is exactly the review I was looking for! I'm on board, but I have to have it pass the wife test too. We're gonna sign up for the trial this Sunday and see how it goes. I'm really glad to hear it works well with 5 devices running, that was one of my worries (my internet is great here, so no worries with speed).

As far as the Viacom issue, we're probably going to sign up for Philo ($16/month) along with Vue to catch all the channels that we want. She *has* to have Lifetime and Comedy Central, so Philo is the only streaming option there. However, with both of these subscriptions, we're still going to be saving $50/month compared to our current cable bill!

44 minutes ago, hotdog_president said:

Thanks for the information... this is exactly the review I was looking for! I'm on board, but I have to have it pass the wife test too. We're gonna sign up for the trial this Sunday and see how it goes. I'm really glad to hear it works well with 5 devices running, that was one of my worries (my internet is great here, so no worries with speed).

As far as the Viacom issue, we're probably going to sign up for Philo ($16/month) along with Vue to catch all the channels that we want. She *has* to have Lifetime and Comedy Central, so Philo is the only streaming option there. However, with both of these subscriptions, we're still going to be saving $50/month compared to our current cable bill!

Glad to be of help. I also forgot that Vue also works on PC now too through the browser and I have used it on Windows and Mac.

Also, turn on Two Factor Authentication. You're adding another service to your PSN account and it's better to be safe than sorry. Vue does stay signed in for quite some time (4-5 months) before it requires a re-activation, but that's the price to pay to stay safe.

Another Pro I didn't mention is the mobile viewing when you're out of the house. It was locked when it first rolled out, but now pretty much allows you to view your content wherever you go. Just make sure to first launch and use that device with Vue on the same local network. Meaning: Launch Vue on your iPhone at home make sure it works, then you can use it at work or any restaurant/wherever.

Also: I have on multiple occasions taken my Fire TV box from Michigan down to Florida and used my Vue down there. It still shows local Detroit newcasts and such, but allows you to take your Vue on vacation and watch it on a big screen. I've used it in hotels and family members houses with no problems. 

57 minutes ago, Bombstriker said:

Just started my Vue 5 day trial a few days ago to check Out the Olympics and so far I am digging it. I’m a big wrestling fan so I’m excited to watch RAW and Smackdown live since I haven’t had any type of cable in like 8 years. Only thing I’m not huge on is the navigation, feels a little sloppy but after messing around a while I can manage. Other than that though I’m all in on it right now.

Tip: I don't like the Guide View, but if you hit Menu and scroll down to Favorite Channels, then scroll all the way to the right and select View All, it's a MUCH better way to navigate what's on at the moment and seems more responsive.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, DaivRules said:

Glad to be of help. I also forgot that Vue also works on PC now too through the browser and I have used it on Windows and Mac.

Also, turn on Two Factor Authentication. You're adding another service to your PSN account and it's better to be safe than sorry. Vue does stay signed in for quite some time (4-5 months) before it requires a re-activation, but that's the price to pay to stay safe.

Another Pro I didn't mention is the mobile viewing when you're out of the house. It was locked when it first rolled out, but now pretty much allows you to view your content wherever you go. Just make sure to first launch and use that device with Vue on the same local network. Meaning: Launch Vue on your iPhone at home make sure it works, then you can use it at work or any restaurant/wherever.

Also: I have on multiple occasions taken my Fire TV box from Michigan down to Florida and used my Vue down there. It still shows local Detroit newcasts and such, but allows you to take your Vue on vacation and watch it on a big screen. I've used it in hotels and family members houses with no problems.

Thanks again for all the info. We signed up for the trial tonight and I'm really liking it so far.

That's interesting about taking the Fire TV Box with you to other locations... I'll have to remember that for when I travel!