The Worst Dynasty Warriors Game Ever Made

You

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

So, I have now played this game and platted it, and I can say, unequivocally, that

THIS GAME SUCKS

<snip>

Thanks for that long post, I still haven't played DW9 but have seen enough videos on youtube to know it isn't for me, the combo does look poor, it's as bad as, if not worse than DW6. Other than Zelda Musou I've played every single Dynasty Warriors game and all their spin offs ever sinc Dynasty Warriors 2, DW9 was a step too far for me.

I have a photo on my phone (since I live in Japan) with about 7 Dynasty Warriors 9 boxes on sale second hand, cheaper than the single Dynasty Warriors 8XL on PS4 which sells at almost full price despite being second hand.

This game flopped, I think Koei knows it as it wasn't even ported to the Switch. DW8 was ported to Switch instead, and on the bright side, Musou Orochi 4 is awesome, it is absolutely everything Dynasty Warriors 9 should have been, they were probably too far in development when DW9 came out to put DW9 stuff in Musou Orochi 4, but everyone in it still has their superior DW8 weapons, oh and it has SPLIT SCREEN COOP!!! Something that has been missing from Musou Stars, Berserk etc.

Just get Musou Orochi 4 instead, as it's obviously the superior title.

Edited by enaysoft

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm on the verge of finishing the plat for this game and it's pretty bad.

I played with chinese voice-overs (since I understand a bit) and it's actually a redeeming factor for me. If I play any future titles, I would hope that they continue to include chinese voice-over work.

I don't think Dynasty Warriors should be open-world. There's so much dead space between areas and visual fidelity is pretty poor. Makes the barren areas feel like a dead MMO game from 15 years ago. It needs more to do in this open world, more things to look at, more things to interact. Make peasant/civilians more dynamic; breathe some life into the lifeless world. If the future games want to pursue the open-world, it needs a lot of work.

The only saving grace in the road to platinum this game is that speedrunning is fairly easy since you can beeline for main objectives pretty fast. My other Musou platinums are DW7 and DWG3... and the only part I liked more about DW9 is that you can finish the relationships trophy by spamming letters instead of grinding stages. Still kind of mind numbing, but you get it over with faster.

EDIT: although thinking about it, future titles will heavily benefit from new gen systems. DW9's hassle and grind would have been dramatically decreased if there were a lack of loading screens. With all the fast travel and cutscene loading there is... imagine if that stuff was instantaneous. Would streamline the experience so much more, especially if you want to do multiple characters/runs.

Edited by h4mx0r
new thought

40 minutes ago, h4mx0r said:

DW9's hassle and grind would have been dramatically decreased if there were a lack of loading screens. With all the fast travel and cutscene loading there is...

That sounds awful, pretty much every other warriors games has a loading screen but it comes up with the battle formation screen first and the games loads in the background.

Therefore if you spend at least 10-20 seconds in this menu, equipping items or skills or just having a quick scan to see where officers are etc.

When you click "Begin" the game will start instantly, even on Vita there are no mandatory must watch loading times...

The only time there is a loading screen is when you reload a save form mid battle.

• 2 months later...