Any tips for gaining skills fast?

I notice that I just use the skill to kill monsters and it goes up very slowly.

Is there something I can be doing to make it increase more?  Killing high XP enemies will that change it?  Or does it matter?

I need to increase skills on all weapon types.

edit:

Guess I'll look it up, can never get answers on these forums. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

• 1 year later...

From my journal thread where I discuss my experience with games I finish and/or platinum:

Not all weapons gain mastery equally. This is actually mentioned in the guide but they do not specify which weapons are the best one to get to max out and which are best left alone. Fast weapons has a smaller chance to get a mastery increase due to their faster attack speed, and slow weapons have a higher chance due to the slower attack speed, this makes sense. The trick here is that slow weapons have these downward aerial attacks that hit like 5 times even though they count as 1 hit in the combo. Each one of this 5 hits counts as a regular hit for mastery gain purposes, so the growth gets super fast. With this in mind this is my recommendation of what to grind (aside fo whatever you actually use normally, of course): Mace > 2H Axe > Katana > 2H Sword > Scimitar. Avoid the following like the plague: Spear > Rapier >>>>> Dagger.

Mace and 2H Axe get the downward attack normally. Katana does 2 regular attacks first, that's why it makes it a bit slower. 2H Sword requires an aerial dash, which makes it a bit slower than the Katana. Scimitar is actually an average speed weapon, so it's growth isn't as fast, but it still gets the downward aerial attack.

The ones I say to avoid are because they grow exceedingly slow, even when using fast multihitting skills. I still got them to 350 to unlock all their attack skills, though.

So no, @VanDeaM, damage done doesn't matter. It just depends on weapon attack speed and enemy level (enemy should be at least 10 levels higher. I used the big golem in a sub area in the 4th section of the map. He has high defense, is high level and stays in it's own little area which is easy to reset so he regains his health. There are also no other enemies to bother you.)

18 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

From my journal thread where I discuss my experience with games I finish and/or platinum:

So no, @VanDeaM, damage done doesn't matter. It just depends on weapon attack speed and enemy level (enemy should be at least 10 levels higher. I used the big golem in a sub area in the 4th section of the map. He has high defense, is high level and stays in it's own little area which is easy to reset so he regains his health. There are also no other enemies to bother you.)

Wow, I wish I knew this a few hours ago. I spent 4-5 hours getting Daggers and Rapier to 500 today, meanwhile it took 30 minutes to get 2-handed sword to 500 because of the multiple attacks. At least It was all automated with a script and I didn't actually have to do any of the fighting. I fought the 'Oltrum Bastion Cordia Twin Slimes' on hard (lvl 75, 5 levels below me) because they don't hit hard enough to get through my HP regen and they also regen their own HP, so I can be AFK. On nightmare they hit too hard. I'll try looking for the Golem you're talking about.

Edited by VanDeaM
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VanDeaM said:

Wow, I wish I knew this a few hours ago. I spent 5 hours getting daggers and Rapier to 500 today, meanwhile it took 30 minutes to get 2-handed sword to 500 because of the multiple attacks. at least It was all automated with a script and I didn't actually have to do any of the fighting. I fought the 'Oltrum Bastion Cordia Twin Slimes' on hard (lvl 75, 5 levels below me) because they didn't hit hard enough to get through my HP regen and they also regen there own HP, so I could be afk. On nightmare they hit too hard. I'll try looking for the Golem you're talking about.

The golem is like level 86 but he has a few attacks that may be a bit too strong if you are not playing yourself.

He also doesn't regen. You get to his area through a teleporter so with that you can rest him.

While doing that I was also bringing along people I didn't have affinity with so I could get some with those team attacks that give quite a bit when successful. In that thread you can get the details as well. It's in one or two paragraphs before the weapon stuff I quoted.