Defiance - Angry Review

Chambers35

Seems average through and through. Developers announced a high level cap when they released a gameplay/interview, but in the same line they also said it would be relatively fast to reach the cap and the level difference regarding damage output would barely be noticeable.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen a single review of this game on the major gaming sites so far. I wouldn't be surprised if shortly after the tv show airs, they give up on trying to establish a connection between both. It's too dependant on getting a high enough audience for the show, to make an approach like that even remotely viable. It seems like a good idea at first, but not like something that has been thought through properly. I might be wrong in the end though, wait and see I guess...

I've only played a bit of it and so far it's interesting but very daunting, especially for an MMO noob like myself. So many different currencies and modes and things to learn. It'll definitely take a long time to platinum the game and in all honesty I don't see myself playing it for more than maybe 30 hours unless they open up the servers and let me play with EU/UK people. Stupidest decision in the world to separate servers and if being reliant on the tv show game doesn't kill the game, segregating your user base so massively should do it. 

Edited by mattybell2117

• 4 months later...

I've only played a bit of it and so far it's interesting but very daunting, especially for an MMO noob like myself. So many different currencies and modes and things to learn. It'll definitely take a long time to platinum the game and in all honesty I don't see myself playing it for more than maybe 30 hours unless they open up the servers and let me play with EU/UK people. Stupidest decision in the world to separate servers and if being reliant on the tv show game doesn't kill the game, segregating your user base so massively should do it. 

Take your pick; Same servers & Immense lag with EU players or separate servers and playable with US people. Servers are only so big, and with even 1000 people playing on each server (not exact numbers) the lag for respected servers would be outrageous. 

OK, so I was REALLY apprehensive about buying this game. In fact, I wasn't interested at all when it first released. But since I saw the Ultimate edition on sale for $59 (originally was $200!) I bought it. I have to say about 10 hours in I am hooked!!! My initial take-

• The learning curve is extremely high. It took me a LONG time to understand the menus and what I'm doing
  • The graphics are meh. Nothing special, especially the faces.
  • The patches take a long time to download.

BUT once I got past all that I was really impressed. First of all, everything happens in the same persistent world (single player, co-op, shadow war, team deathmatch, arkfalls, instanced events). So lets say you want to go into team deathmatch, you go into a queue and wait for however long it takes to get 32 players [16 vs 16]. While you are in queue (I've waited from 0 minutes to 15 minutes) you can roam the world and do anything you want; main missions instanced events, exploring. whatever! Once you meet the requirement you are loaded into the map.

Loot is very Borderlands, even the color coding of the drops. You get to chose one of four abilities, I only remember two (cloak and decoy). I personally chose decoy because it has so many uses. It sends out a replica of you and draws the enemies away. This is great for replenishing shields, getting melee enemies close together for a grenade, getting behind enemy lines, you name it.

This is NOT an easy platinum (Ultra Rare <3%) but the trophies seem simple but time consuming. One of the trophies is to get to level 2500 and I am only level 300. But if you like shooter RPGs I would give this a strong recommendation, ESPECIALLY at the current price point of $9.99! And if you decide to play look me up, I plan on being on this title quite a bit :D

• Like 1

I have only had the game for less than 2 weeks and I already have 24% of the total trophies (58 trophies, and that includes the 8 trophies for the DLC), one of the trophies that I got was gold, the one for having a legendary weapon in your inventory; have an orange shotgun that I havent used yet. The game does have a semi-steep learning curve, I say that because I own Borderlands and most of the Call of Duty games for the PS3, Borderlands is a TPS and the CoD games are FPS with online play, plus I play DUST514 which is a MMOFPS (and the learning curve for the most part in DUST514 is meh, but like Defiance your gun skills take a while to skill grind especially if you are one of the players that is at the bottom of the team list.