Questionable design decisions

The way that clearing the story and continues work just seem strange. If you play on normal and higher you can't use a continue or you won't be able to clear the story. Same for failing spell cards on normal and above if you fail you wont complete the story. The weird thing is that you have multiple continues and that using one or failing a spell card will not end the game. They let you play right up till the last stage and then say that you can't continue or fail a spell card thus making the user quit out if that fail condition is reached. It is made in such a way that the player has to terminate their run if they fail because you don't get a game over even when there is no way of winning. It strikes me as very odd.

Can fail spell cards & still clear the story, at least on Normal - can confirm as I've done that twice myself, once as Marisa, once as Reimu, each playthrough failing a single (different) spell card. So long as no continues get spent, the story will reach its conclusion. Might possibly be able to use a continue during the final stage/battle? Since nothing occurs afterward save for the ending. Never needed one yet tho'.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 4:48 AM, ShadyMan8903 said:

Well IIRC you had to have a certain score to access the A route in Imperishable Night, perhaps we have a similar trigger/flag here?

I have not actually bought this yet (Waiting til Friday or so when I can afford it,) but for Imperishable Night, Route A/B for Stage 4 is determined by the player character. I believe Reimu and Sakuya go to Stage 4B (to fight Marisa) and Marisa and Youmu go to Stage 4B (to fight Reimu.) As for Stage 6Am you can go there by choice, or if you have have not beaten it already, you have to go there by force. Using Continues is also acceptable for Stage 6A. Basically, do not meet the requirements for 6B, or choice to go to 6A after beating 6B. Requirements to go to Stage 6B are to to beat Stage 6A with that character/Team on a different playthrough, and to get to Stage 6 without any continues. From the Trailers (and some trophies;) I can tell this game is based on Touhou 6 which has a restriction. If you beat Sakuya on Stage 5 on Easy, you get a failed ending. On Normal, Hard, and Lunatic however; you do not get the false ending after beating Sakuya Izayoi. Considering what the first trophy on the lists says as a requirement, I would assume it is the exact same way as Touhou 6 where the only requirement is to be on Normal or higher. There are also trophies for completing the game on Normal, Hard, and Lunatic without capturing a single spell card. So fail every spell card in the game which I assume is done by timing them out on a single playthrough.

37 minutes ago, ShadyMan8903 said:

I think you misunderstood the no spell card trophies. You obtain them by not USING a spell card, IE bomb, on the play through of the given difficulty. It doesnt matter how many or few you capture during the run.

Okay, that is way easier than I though. I usually do not bomb at all. From Touhou 1, 3, 5-9, and 11-16, I have never called Bombs a Spell Card, but I guess I am used to that from excess time on 8, 11, 14, and 14.3. (Never used them in 14.3 actually.) Since I usually consider Spell Cards just what bosses use, I never thought the reverse. I got this game last night actually, and I have already captured every spell except for Remilia's second one on Normal, as well as Cirno, Sanae, and Patchouli's on Hard. (I did Hard before Normal.) After 1CCing Normal (No Death,) I was surprised when Extra Stage was not unlocked. I guess I need to beat Normal with Marisa and Cirno as well? Most Touhou like Touhou fan game on PS4, yet the slight differences are both cute, and also shocking. (I usually use Lunatic to practice for Hard, but that is not going to be happening.)

On 5/16/2018 at 0:36 PM, JustOneStingray said:

The way that clearing the story and continues work just seem strange. If you play on normal and higher you can't use a continue or you won't be able to clear the story. Same for failing spell cards on normal and above if you fail you wont complete the story. The weird thing is that you have multiple continues and that using one or failing a spell card will not end the game. They let you play right up till the last stage and then say that you can't continue or fail a spell card thus making the user quit out if that fail condition is reached. It is made in such a way that the player has to terminate their run if they fail because you don't get a game over even when there is no way of winning. It strikes me as very odd.

The original Question on this forum topic was about the time loop. I can answer it now: A time loop happens if you beat Sakuya and you timed out a spell card. I usually 1CC all the way to Sakuya and only timeout her first spell. Timing out spells, or using a continue will make it stop after Sakuya. (I need to time out Cirno and Sanae to see if that skips the .5 stages, but going to the .5 stages are required. I am using both experience as well as what the game told me when I did not 1CC Normal up to Sakuya. You can use continues against Remilia though. I have not actually game overed and had to continue against the stage 3.5 boss. (Preventing Spoilers here)

Yep just came here to post that myself. Now I have another two questions.

1. How do we unlock the peeping tom Trophies? I got the model spinner from capturing cards on easy/hard but I just get the Sakuya's angry icon it doesnt pop anything when it spins to an exposed place.

2. For the all spell cards cleared on (difficulty) does it have to be in 1 run? If not, does it also count the boss rounds between cards? I thought I just did a run with Reimu and I only whiffed 1 card I know I caught in the past.

Edited by ShadyMan8903

19 minutes ago, ShadyMan8903 said:

Yep just came here to post that myself. Now I have another two questions.

1. How do we unlock the peeping tom Trophies? I got the model spinner from capturing cards on easy/hard but I just get the Sakuya's angry icon it doesnt pop anything when it spins to an exposed place.

2. For the all spell cards cleared on (difficulty) does it have to be in 1 run? If not, does it also count the boss rounds between cards? I thought I just did a run with Reimu and I only whiffed 1 card I know I caught in the past.

This will take some time to explain the first one. I will explain how to unlock what.

Lunatic: Beat Hard

Marisa: Beat Normal or Hard with Reimu

Cirno: Beat Normal, Hard, or Lunatic with Marisa

Extra: Beat Normal, Hard, or Lunatic as Cirno

To disable that censor (Which I hate that the censor can actually be disabled to begin with) is to capture every single Spell Card on Lunatic for the character in question.

For all Spell Cards Clear, you need not do them in a single playthrough, but you must do them on a playthrough and not Practice. (I captured all of Remilia's Spells on Hard, but I did not get her "All Spells captured on [Difficulty]" in Database/Library/Remilia. Capturing all spells on Lunatic is the same as Hard and Normal, and doing it on Hard is the same as doing it on Normal. (I captured all of Cirno's Spells and Sanae's spells on my first playthrough which was on hard. I got my complete break when I beat Sanae the first time which is how I know that part. I have beat 14 on Hard which is what I am hoping to do here and help me here. If it was not for that, I do not think I would be able to 1CC this on Normal without Bombing. (I even did a NMNB up to Sakuya and used all of my lives against Satori's third non-spell. I also used my second to last life against Remilia's second spell. That is a pain and I have never captured it outside of Hard Practice.) I hope this helps. I may try to get a video, but that is unlikely.

Also a good question. Possibly because it's not an 'official' game in the release, though that didnt stop genso wanderer/bullet ballet. The stealth release on 5/15 was also puzzling...it was like the devs wanted people to treasure hunt to find this gem.

Edited by ShadyMan8903

6 hours ago, ShadyMan8903 said:

Also a good question. Possibly because it's not an 'official' game in the release, though that didnt stop genso wanderer/bullet ballet. The stealth release on 5/15 was also puzzling...it was like the devs wanted people to treasure hunt to find this gem.

On that note, Genso Wanderer and Genso Rondo as well as Double Focus were all officially given the right to be released by Jun'ya Ota so... (Do not call me a hypocrite by calling ZUN by his name unless that is something that is a Taboo, I even call Miles Prower from Sonic by his actual name, sooo...