UBI Soft believe Always Online games are viable

Memnoch

The gaming market is ready for always-online services and hardware according to Ubisoft Montreal studio head Yannis Mallat.

Talking to the Guardian, Mallat suggested that the market is most of the way there already, but qualified that the question would be better put towards hardware manufacturers like Microsoft and Sony.

'I would say that a lot of people are always online through other devices. I would suspect that the audience is ready,' he said.

He also stated that a decent level of support needs to be implemented in order for online services to be viable.

'As soon as players don't have to worry, then they will only take into account the benefits that those services bring,' added Mallat. 'These services need to provide clear benefits.'

The comments come in the wake of Microsoft executive Adam Orth failing to understand why some people might be a little sceptical about the prospect of the next Xbox requiring a constant internet connection, stating that if anyone wasn't happy with this setup that they should just 'deal with it'.

That this statement comes from a prominent figure in Ubisoft is a bit of a surprise as the company abandoned its notorious and unpopular persistent-connection DRM last year, having run it on prominent titles including Assassin's Creed 2, The Settlers 7 and Anno 2070.

Always-online services have also been a hot topic of conversation in the gaming media thanks to the spectacular launch of SimCity which was plagued by server outages and frustrated players. Maxis and EA argued that being online was a core part of the title and that it would not work without it, despite fast-acting modders proving them wrong by making the game run offline. EA's acting chief executive Frank Gibeau even went as far as to state that the game was an MMO.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2013/04/16/ubisoft-market-ready-for-always-online-serv/1

But of course say that Sony and Microsoft need to get it together - they obvisouly forgot about the issues they had on the assasins creed series on the PC. EA are also proof that always online does not work !

• Like 3

Some parts of the world may be ready, but those parts are still very small I believe. High speed internet and stable connections are still far from being standard.

Completely agree :)

I wish companies would stop pushing 'always on' as hard as they can. I think it is a great concept with huge potential, but it only works in areas where there is a specific grade and quality of internet. If everyone had something like Google Fiber across the globe, it would change the face of how we play and interact with games. But if they start implementing stuff now, it is gonna shut alot of gamers out.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2013/04/16/ubisoft-market-ready-for-always-online-serv/1

But of course say that Sony and Microsoft need to get it together - they obvisouly forgot about the issues they had on the assasins creed series on the PC. EA are also proof that always online does not work !

Yeah, it's like they aren't heeding any warning signs that other companies have gone through.

Edited by Captain_Cutscene

Yeah, it's like they aren't heeding any warning signs that other companies have gone through.

The worst thing is that they have already made the mistake, but that's not stopping them ... :D

Always online is only agaisnt Piracy (but doesn't work) and to push advertising. I feel that we pay enough for games as it is, without having extra advertising too !

they obvisouly forgot about the issues they had on the assasins creed series on the PC.

Absolutely. I'm actually surprised of reading this considering the well known amount of trouble they got with AC II.

Do they care about what players said or judged?

They always do the opposite, it's almost like they want to piss people off.

Edited by Playsonic2