Insanity Class Recommendations?

Platinum_Vice

Howdy,

So I'm going to push for the platinums of the Mass Effect Trilogy. I'll need to complete two playthroughs of all games, but probably three of ME1, because it has ally- and power-specific trophies (ie, bring Garrus with you all game, use 50 biotic powers etc).

I was originally thinking to do a hardcore run and then an insanity run in the games, so I was going to do a paragon and a renegade playthrough. But now I'm wondering if a New Game+ with Shepherd would be best to capitalise on his level and powers, which then worries me about the allies as they may need to come through a NG+ because of their own levels and powers, adding to the required amount of playthroughs...

Essentially, can someone please check my logic??

1) do I need to have a NG+ Shephered to survive an insanity playthrough (and the same question for my allies)?

2) what class should I utilise for the ME trilogy in hardcore mode, and what class for insanity?

3) what allies should I take with me in ME1's insanity playthrough? Do any of them specifically complement a class for Shepherd? I vaguely remember prioritising Garrus and Miranda, but am also interested in Zaeed, Tali, Legion and Thane for further playthroughs.

4) will going full-paragon or -renegade assist me with insanity?

It's been two years since I first played this series and I remember very little. I completed one full playthrough on whatever difficulty is under hardcore and remember specifically choosing options that suited my style of play, not for trophy requirements. I think I was an Infiltrator for the full trilogy, and I vaguely remember using the pistol almost exclusively in ME1...

Anyway! Please help! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys

Mitch

1. You don't have to but it certainly helps. Although for Mass Effect 2, starting Insanity on NG+ means the enemies will scale with you and you will have to start out with weaker armor early on. Personally I wouldn't do it but it is up to you. 

2. It depends on your playstyle really. I went with Soldier but with the right Adept or Vanguard builds you can make the game a lot easier on yourself even on Insanity difficulty. For Mass Effect 2 I went with Sentinel because of their Warp ability and Tech-Armor. However Infiltrator can also be really OP with the right build. For Mass Effect 1's Insanity, all that really happens is enemies cast Immunity on themselves constantly, so picking a class and/or squadmates with Warp and whatnot are very beneficial to counter that. Otherwise your main strategy is to just shoot the enemies until they die.

Mass Effect 3 I don't think it matters too much especially since for NG+ you can upgrade your weapons to level 10, and if you have the Prothean Particle Rifle there's almost nothing that can really challenge you or your squadmates.

3. Probably the ones with biotic powers like Liara, but Wrex is also pretty tanky, so you could probably go with him too. It mainly depends on the situation I think. If you're going to fight Geth, bring Tali. If it's regular enemies bring Liara or Wrex or Garrus. I think at least one biotic user should definitely be a priority for most missions though.

4. I've only done Paragon so I can't speak too much about the differences but Paragon can let you talk your way out of certain situations and whatnot, so I figure that would be very beneficial.

• Like 2

Redgrave touches on everything pretty accurately, IMO.

My only addition is that I'll swear by Vanguard day in and day out. That class has gotten me through so much during Insanity playthroughs, primarily when not NG+.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 6:47 PM, GonzoWARgasm said:

1) do I need to have a NG+ Shephered to survive an insanity playthrough (and the same question for my allies)?

2) what class should I utilise for the ME trilogy in hardcore mode, and what class for insanity?

3) what allies should I take with me in ME1's insanity playthrough? Do any of them specifically complement a class for Shepherd? I vaguely remember prioritising Garrus and Miranda, but am also interested in Zaeed, Tali, Legion and Thane for further playthroughs.

4) will going full-paragon or -renegade assist me with insanity?

3) If you wanna balance things out, soldier is 100% strength. This means use Tali (100% tech) and Liara (100% biotic) the entire game. If you choose a different class, say infiltrator for instance, it's 50% strength and 50% tech, meaning you should use Garrus (50% strength/50% tech) and Liara (100% biotic) the entire game. If vanguard (50% strength/50% biotic), use Wrex (50% strength/50 biotic) and Tali (100% tech) the entire game. Basically, each squad mate is one of the six classes. The females are all 100% in their respective classes of Ashley (100% soldier), Liara (100% adept) and Tali (100% engineer) while the males are all 50% in two classes, be it Garrus (infiltrator - 50% soldier/50% engineer), Kaidan (sentinel - 50% biotic/50% engineer) or Wrex (vanguard - 50% biotic/50% soldier). ME2 and ME3 are a bit different. You've obviously beaten the game, so try and remember what enemies you'll encounter for each mission. If they have shields, take someone with overload. Armor? Incinerate. Etc.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pirelli913 said:

You've obviously beaten the game, so try and remember what enemies you'll encounter for each mission. If they have shields, take someone with overload. Armor? Incinerate. Etc.

Yeah except that I played it on normal difficulty. On ME1 I melted with the pistol, and in ME2 and 3 I imported the same Infiltrator Shep, and used all the weapons as it wasn't just limited to the soldiers anymore. I don't remember ever really using any powers. 

Surely there is a best class for insanity right? You guys are pointing me in the direction vanguard, soldier and infiltrator... I guess I'll choose one of them.

Looks like NG+ is generally out, except where a trophy is required for reaching those high levels. 

I think it's going to be a definite 3 playthroughs for ME1, and 2 each for ME2 and ME3...

Thanks everyone that has helped. If anyone else has anything else to add, I'm all ears :)

• 4 years later...

Just a FYI in case anyone ever clicks this again.  Adept is mass effect 1 is stupidly busted. Powers work through shields in mass effect 1 so between stasis, lift, throw and singularity enemies can't shoot you while under impairing effects.  And for everything you can't immobilise you have barrier which absorbs all damage.

For mass effect 2 or 3 I'd say go vanguard or infiltrator.  But adept is way stronger then all other classes in ME1

• Like 1