There is only war

Rally-Vincent---

Does the method in the guide for "There is only war" - flame kill large group, press o, repeat - really work? I have a spot where my flamer can hit 11 genestealers, and I have been at it way over 30 hours. I even made the effort to count kills over a 4 hour period. Even with the delay of taking notes, there were 6.200 kills, an average of 1.550 kills per hour. With that low number, it'd still be 25 hours for the whole 40.000 kills, disregarding the kills I got through the campaigns on normal and hard (easy obv. doesn't count).

Is the trophy bugged? Did anyone get the trophy through that method?

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2018 at 6:59 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Is the trophy bugged? Did anyone get the trophy through that method?

Congratulations! I notice you got the platinum. Is that the method you used? I have been doing that method and according to my calculator I should have reached 40k by now. I had a couple setbacks. Failed the mission once because I lost the redo button by switching characters by accident and my prior save was right after I used the flamethrower. I had about 10k kills when that happened.

I'm at about 39k kills since I restarted the mission and nothing so far. I'm really hoping it's not glitched. I failed the mission on purpose to see how many hours and I'm up to 20. I'm convinced that it is longer than that and the frame rate drops slow the clock as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

By my calculations, I must have killed around 70K before the trophy popped (plus minus 1K). I did it with this method, but at some point, I made the PS4 suspend the game instead of save/shut down at the end of the day. I don't know if the game keeps the count of the kills if one shuts the game down and reloads the save. With the ridiculous kill number, though, no sane person could test it. All I know is that if you play through the mission after that chore, it doesn't show you 40K kills in the mission debriefing. In the end, I can't tell you anything else than it popped at a point where I had almost given up and only continued the grind because I had already invested a huge amount of time.

Good luck.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I don't know if the game keeps the count of the kills if one shuts the game down and reloads the save. With the ridiculous kill number, though, no sane person could test it. All I know is that if you play through the mission after that chore, it doesn't show you 40K kills in the mission debriefing.

Holy flippin' jeebus...it never occurred to me that loading a save would wipe out all the undo kills....it makes sense since the undo doesn't carry over from one save to the next and why I'm at like 50k kills overall with no pop. Well I guess I can try to test it. I'll reload my last save and start tracking. If it pops after 39k-ish kills, then reloading a save won't carry over all the undo kills. If it pops before then...then it is just glitchy and I have no real explanation. I also finished the level the other day just to see if that would pop it and it only showed 17 kills...19+ hours, but 17 kills. Similarly to you, I've invested too much time into this game at this point not to see it through. Thank you for replying!

• 5 months later...

So I had a question regarding the method above.
I am currently in mission 11 (Unknown Lifeforms) and have gotten to a point where only 5 genestealers are grouped up at the very start of the area (with my characters in starting position).

It used to be 7 genestealers but when I attempted to force them to re-position by killing just one, all it did was diminish the total amount (the genestealers that were lined up vertically didn't even bother to enter the room at the start, likely cause one of them was taking up the position in the corner next to the door).

So I pretty much f*cked myself over by trying to improve the situation.
I can now only kill 5 at best each time I rinse and repeat the action, which would mean I'd take twice as long as the OP would realistically.

If I were to restart or lose the mission on purpose, would my progress since I started this be lost or not?

So far I think I must have assembled around 100 kills or more (I honestly didn't feel like starting a count at such a low number) so it wouldn't exactly be that big of a loss but if it did make me lose progress then I'd be below 1000 again since the Angel of Death trophy popped at one point, which is quite unfortunate.

Also, any advise on how to best set up the terminators to have a maximum amount of kills?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Late answer to this:

I did it in Mission 9, I think. It's the mission where you don't deploy all your Terminators at once, but they come into the mission in pairs or by three. To the left from the mission entry, there is a 3x3 room with two other entrances (north, west). Genestealers enter that room from both these direction. If you have the flamethrower Terminator on the grid outside the east door, he hits the 3x3 and the two grids outside the north and west door. Defend the other routes while you try to set up as many Genstealers in that 3x3 area as possible. If you don't manage, restart the mission until you have a good set up.

But seriously, this was the most boring thing I ever did in video gaming. Unless you really, really want the Plat, there are enough things that are more interesting - like watching a video of someone watching paint dry, for example.

• 2 months later...
On 30/03/2019 at 11:55 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Late answer to this:

I did it in Mission 9, I think. It's the mission where you don't deploy all your Terminators at once, but they come into the mission in pairs or by three. To the left from the mission entry, there is a 3x3 room with two other entrances (north, west). Genestealers enter that room from both these direction. If you have the flamethrower Terminator on the grid outside the east door, he hits the 3x3 and the two grids outside the north and west door. Defend the other routes while you try to set up as many Genstealers in that 3x3 area as possible. If you don't manage, restart the mission until you have a good set up.

But seriously, this was the most boring thing I ever did in video gaming. Unless you really, really want the Plat, there are enough things that are more interesting - like watching a video of someone watching paint dry, for example.

Not a problem on the late reply part, I understand that you have a life outside of this website so please do not feel a need to ever apologise on my behalf for any delay on replies.
I am very grateful for your reply btw, I will try my best to hold on to this arduous task but as you said, it's hardly worth the effort.
Still, having spend already so much effort and time in the rest of these trophies I kinda feel I should finish it no matter what. 
The burden of a trophy hunter I guess :P

Again, thank you very much for the reply!

On 31/03/2019 at 0:15 AM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

True. I wonder what developers think when they make that sort of trophy.

That people will be desperate enough to play their game longer than they should all for a virtual piece of prestige.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Abysm_Nucleus said:

They advertised the game as a part of Warhammer 40K universe. 40.000 kills come from the name of Warhammer 40K. Creative, right? 1f606.png

Yeah I know what the significance behind the number is but I was questioning the reality of this. Like, it's so insanely dumb to make a trophy like this that I'm wondering what they were smoking to agree to this idea.
Imo they should have made a "Get 40.000 Kills... oh, you're a rookie, just 4,000 for now then." trophy instead as a joke because they are aware that 40.000 kills is far too much for just 1 trophy unless you are a masochist that likes to waste days doing the same crap over and over.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to mention here that I can confirm the Flamethrower ~> Undo trick does work to get to the 40,000 kills. I did this in Mission 11 and lured 10 aliens into the opening and just flamed them and undo. I kept track of the kills on the calculator on my phone to get an idea. I could get between 600-700 done an hour. In order for the kills to count however, you must save and back out to the main menu. If you save and quit the game from the battle grid, none of the kills will count. I found this out the hard way and did about 46,000 kills by saving and then hitting the PS button and quitting from the game. Wasted several hours this way.

So for any of you masochists out there that plan to tackle this game...save and return to the main menu!!! 

• Like 4