What do you think of the time limits?

I have Meruru and Totori. I LOVE the combat, gathering, and crafting especially, but the time limit ruins the game for me. I was able to get Diamond rank in Totori but could not get enough points for the final rank and permanent licence. I wish I could just travel around gathering, fighting and crafting freely without having to plan everything around the time limits. I spent over 10 hours to just have the game end like that.

I understand the game is built around these limits though, so at the very least it would be nice if you could keep playing even after a failed rank up. For example you only have access to the last places you discovered on the map since you are no longer an adventurer. I know this wont happen if they make more of this series, I'm just venting my frustration and sadness over this game I really wanted to love.

/sadface

I have Meruru and Totori. I LOVE the combat, gathering, and crafting especially, but the time limit ruins the game for me. I was able to get Diamond rank in Totori but could not get enough points for the final rank and permanent licence. I wish I could just travel around gathering, fighting and crafting freely without having to plan everything around the time limits. I spent over 10 hours to just have the game end like that.

I understand the game is built around these limits though, so at the very least it would be nice if you could keep playing even after a failed rank up. For example you only have access to the last places you discovered on the map since you are no longer an adventurer. I know this wont happen if they make more of this series, I'm just venting my frustration and sadness over this game I really wanted to love.

/sadface

The Atelier games have become some of my most loved games after playing all 4 on PS3. I found the time limit a little confusing when I first began playing (my first one was Totori, one of the more strict time limits of the series I think) and I wasn't too good at it, but I think you soon get the hang of it and learn how to make the most of the time you have. I would suggest using a walkthrough guide the next time you play, I did on my second playthrough the first time I played Totori and it helped so much, you'll realise things you did wrong, things you missed, and learn many ways to make the most of your time, you'll end up having lots of time left at the end of the game too. Once you get the hang of the time restrictions and requirements to progress in all aspects of the game you should be able to play all other games in the series without any trouble, as they operate in pretty much the same way. Give it another try and yourself another chance to love it because they really are great games :wub:  You can do it :highfive:

Well, it makes logical sense.  There really is no reason the final evil bad guy is going to wait around for you to do every side quest, talk to every person, explore every area, beat every monster and level to eleventybillion.  If he sees you doing that shit he's going to say "hm, maybe letting them get strong enough to one hit me is a bad idea".  So he shows up, stomps you into the ground, the world ends.  Game over.

If time limits are done poorly though, it can kill a game.  I have no problems with time limits if the game gives a reason for replay to do what you couldn't the first time (say, different endings) or the post game allows free roam with no time limit.

Wonder how it'll work in FFXIII Lightning Returns...

The Atelier games have become some of my most loved games after playing all 4 on PS3. I found the time limit a little confusing when I first began playing (my first one was Totori, one of the more strict time limits of the series I think) and I wasn't too good at it, but I think you soon get the hang of it and learn how to make the most of the time you have. I would suggest using a walkthrough guide the next time you play, I did on my second playthrough the first time I played Totori and it helped so much, you'll realise things you did wrong, things you missed, and learn many ways to make the most of your time, you'll end up having lots of time left at the end of the game too. Once you get the hang of the time restrictions and requirements to progress in all aspects of the game you should be able to play all other games in the series without any trouble, as they operate in pretty much the same way. Give it another try and yourself another chance to love it because they really are great games :wub:  You can do it :highfive:

Thanks for the nice reply :) What game in the series would you say is the most forgiving?

And yes I plan to give it another shot, I just need some time to cool down after my first failure. At least I was able to reach diamond first try.

Some time limits destroy the fun factor in a game.

Best example?

Record of Agarest War
vs.
Record of Agarest War Zero/II

Zero and II are a blast to play. Hard as hell but so satisfying when you start getting the hang of it and making 80-100 hits combo while only being level 22 :D

I enjoy time limits when done well. For ex. Majora's Mask

These games interest me, may have to check them out.

Well, it makes logical sense.  There really is no reason the final evil bad guy is going to wait around for you to do every side quest, talk to every person, explore every area, beat every monster and level to eleventybillion.  If he sees you doing that shit he's going to say "hm, maybe letting them get strong enough to one hit me is a bad idea".  So he shows up, stomps you into the ground, the world ends.  Game over.

If time limits are done poorly though, it can kill a game.  I have no problems with time limits if the game gives a reason for replay to do what you couldn't the first time (say, different endings) or the post game allows free roam with no time limit.

Wonder how it'll work in FFXIII Lightning Returns...

I'm also curios about FFXIII Lightning Returns time limit, if done well it could become a great mechanic.

Thanks for the nice reply :) What game in the series would you say is the most forgiving?

And yes I plan to give it another shot, I just need some time to cool down after my first failure. At least I was able to reach diamond first try.

I think Meruru had quite a relaxed time limit, but the newest game that I just recently finished, Ayesha, I'd say that was definitely the most forgiving, I had so much time left over in certain areas that I had to just sleep through a lot of dates to get to the next event.

Hardest time limit for me personally was Rorona, trying to kill all types of enemies, do all bounties, make all items, and all of the pies, yeesh, I had quite a few playthroughs on that one :awesome:

Good luck for when you decide to play again :highfive:

• Like 1

I think Meruru had quite a relaxed time limit, but the newest game that I just recently finished, Ayesha, I'd say that was definitely the most forgiving, I had so much time left over in certain areas that I had to just sleep through a lot of dates to get to the next event.

Hardest time limit for me personally was Rorona, trying to kill all types of enemies, do all bounties, make all items, and all of the pies, yeesh, I had quite a few playthroughs on that one :awesome:

Good luck for when you decide to play again :highfive:

Cool, thanks :)  I traded my xbox for a Ps3 and I already plan to pick up Ayesha soon.

i bought this game for my vita, but i haven't played any of the others.  can someone fill me in on what to expect? 

Expect a pretty unique RPG. You will be crafting items through alchemy and gathering a lot of materials. This is one of the main parts of the game and it's a lot of fun.

The combat is just standard turn based fighting, but still super fun because you get to fight with all the cool items that you created yourself! The story and dialogue 

is interesting and funny at times. Be wary of the game's time limits and make sure you are prepared for every adventure.

• Like 1