Pure White Character Tendency

viech54

I changed the world tendency to pure black to spawn the black phantoms to get my character tendency to pure white. I didn't kill any NPC (except Yurt) at all, so my CT was still neutral. Then I killed all five. I made sure to kill them with spells (not poison cloud or anything that prevents my CT from shifting towards pure white) or melee with my crescent falchion. No one died of fall damage or by using the environment or poison or anything. After killing them, I spoke to the Monumental, he didn't hand over the friend's ring. I'm apparently still not pure white. I still have to clear 1-4, so it's not endgame yet. I accepted the Monumental's quest at the start of the game.

Any idea how to change CT to pure white at this point or why it didn't work? There are no named black phantoms left to kill, but I know I didn't do anything wrong. Next would be the Mephistopheles quest, I need pure black character tendency to get it done, meaning I need to get pure white done first or play through the game again twice for all rings.

Lastly, this is my second time completing Demon's Souls. I know the game in and out and know I didn't do anything wrong. It worked just fine the last time I did that, I did nothing differently this time.

Edited by viech54

6 hours ago, viech54 said:

I changed the world tendency to pure black to spawn the black phantoms to get my character tendency to pure white. I didn't kill any NPC (except Yurt) at all, so my CT was still neutral. Then I killed all five. I made sure to kill them with spells (not poison cloud or anything that prevents my CT from shifting towards pure white) or melee with my crescent falchion. No one died of fall damage or by using the environment or poison or anything. After killing them, I spoke to the Monumental, he didn't hand over the friend's ring. I'm apparently still not pure white. I still have to clear 1-4, so it's not endgame yet. I accepted the Monumental's quest at the start of the game.

Any idea how to change CT to pure white at this point or why it didn't work? There are no named black phantoms left to kill, but I know I didn't do anything wrong. Next would be the Mephistopheles quest, I need pure black character tendency to get it done, meaning I need to get pure white done first or play through the game again twice for all rings.

Lastly, this is my second time completing Demon's Souls. I know the game in and out and know I didn't do anything wrong. It worked just fine the last time I did that, I did nothing differently this time.

It's very possible that when you first spoke to the monumental, when he asked you if you were going to accept the task, you hit "no". That will ruin your current PT if you were going for the Friend ring. You probably are PWCT. Just beat the game, go to ng+, beat the Phalanx, talk to the monumental and make sure to select "yes" when he asks you the question. Talk to him again and he should hand it over.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, viech54 said:

I made sure to kill them with spells (not poison cloud or anything that prevents my CT from shifting towards pure white) or melee with my crescent falchion. No one died of fall damage or by using the environment or poison or anything.

The Falchion can cause bleed, and if a Black Phantom dies from that, it doesn't count. Also, it's not likely to happen, but did you kill any of the Black Phantoms at the same time they killed you? On my most recent run, I somehow managed to kill BP Satsuki at the same time he killed me. It didn't shift my character tendency, and he was gone after that.

7 hours ago, viech54 said:

Any idea how to change CT to pure white at this point

With the servers down, the only way is NG+, unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

It's very possible that when you first spoke to the monumental, when he asked you if you were going to accept the task, you hit "no". That will ruin your current PT if you were going for the Friend ring. You probably are PWCT. Just beat the game, go to ng+, beat the Phalanx, talk to the monumental and make sure to select "yes" when he asks you the question. Talk to him again and he should hand it over.

That's what happened to my friend who played the game at the same time & I didn't rush through the game, so that's not possible. I looked up how the character tendency looks and I'm definitely still white.

31 minutes ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

The Falchion can cause bleed, and if a Black Phantom dies from that, it doesn't count. Also, it's not likely to happen, but did you kill any of the Black Phantoms at the same time they killed you? On my most recent run, I somehow managed to kill BP Satsuki at the same time he killed me. It didn't shift my character tendency, and he was gone after that.

With the servers down, the only way is NG+, unfortunately.

I didn't die against any of them, but bleed might be the culprit here.

14 hours ago, viech54 said:

That's what happened to my friend who played the game at the same time & I didn't rush through the game, so that's not possible. I looked up how the character tendency looks and I'm definitely still white.

I didn't die against any of them, but bleed might be the culprit here.

I hear the servers have been ghosted and you can still have shit dropped for you. Have you tried getting online?

I mean, otherwise, kill BP Miralda. I think she's the easiest to get to.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

I hear the servers have been ghosted and you can still have shit dropped for you. Have you tried getting online?

I mean, otherwise, kill BP Miralda. I think she's the easiest to get to.

No, didn't go online yet. Might try that if it fails in NG+ again.

That's what I had in mind. Get pure white in NG+ by killing Miralda (no more falchion, I'll probably use Northern Regalia or whatever, anything that doesn't have bleed or poison or so goes), then free all NPCs needed for Mephistopheles, then go pure black and complete the side quest. If Miralda is not enough, I'll do Satsuki as well. Does Patches survive the blast of the exploding bug in 2-2 in NG+? Do they all need to be alive when starting the quest to clear it? I've heard conflicting reports on that.

edit: Cleared the game with the good ending, then killed BP Miralda and got to pure white, then got the Friend's ring. Just need to free the NPCs now and go pure black. Also, let's add a dead Yurt as a bonus to spawn Mephistopheles.

That's

1-1 (help Ostrava)

1-2 (help Ostrava again)

1-3 (help Ostrava a third time, get Yuria and Biorr)

Get last spell for spells trophy.
2-1

2-2 (get Patches)

2-3 (Dragon God to unlock 1-4)
3-1 (get Freke)

3-2 (kill Yurt)
4-1 (kill Satsuki because I'm in pure black and he's at the start of the level)

4-2 (get Urbain)

Kill some NPCs for pure black character tendency.

Talk to Mephistopheles, then kill more NPCs, get Biorr's shield for the weapon trophy and collect the remaining rings.

Edited by viech54
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, viech54 said:

No, didn't go online yet. Might try that if it fails in NG+ again.

That's what I had in mind. Get pure white in NG+ by killing Miralda (no more falchion, I'll probably use Northern Regalia or whatever, anything that doesn't have bleed or poison or so goes), then free all NPCs needed for Mephistopheles, then go pure black and complete the side quest. If Miralda is not enough, I'll do Satsuki as well. Does Patches survive the blast of the exploding bug in 2-2 in NG+? Do they all need to be alive when starting the quest to clear it? I've heard conflicting reports on that.

edit: Cleared the game with the good ending, then killed BP Miralda and got to pure white, then got the Friend's ring. Just need to free the NPCs now and go pure black. Also, let's add a dead Yurt as a bonus to spawn Mephistopheles.

That's

1-1 (help Ostrava)

1-2 (help Ostrava again)

2-1

2-2 (get Patches)

3-1 (get Freke)

3-2 (kill Yurt)

4-2 (get Urbain)

Talk to Mephistopheles, then kill more NPCs, get Biorr's shield for the weapon trophy and collect the remaining rings.

You actually need to kill Yurt to trigger Meph's arrival. 

Also, yes, all npcs involved with Meph's quests need to be alive when she shows up. I've created a new PT for myself in the past because of it.

Glad to hear you got the ring. Good job.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

You actually need to kill Yurt to trigger Meph's arrival. 

Also, yes, all npcs involved with Meph's quests need to be alive when she shows up. I've created a new PT for myself in the past because of it.

Glad to hear you got the ring. Good job.

The part about Yurt is actually in my previous post, so I knew that. Still, thanks, though.

Alright, then hopefully Patches will survive the blast of the bug in 2-2.

Cleared 1-2 real quick, didn't even take 10 minutes. On to 1-3 now.

edit: Also cleared 1-3. Biorr's health was kinda low in the boss fight, good thing he survived.

Edited by viech54

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, MMDE said:

@viech54 Here's a quick breakdown with all the useful information to not miss anything and still get the plat as early as possible while playing offline while playing it mostly on your own:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/demon-s-souls/143019-basic-guide-demons-souls.html

Thanks, but already got the plat. The only DeS stack that's left is the Asian one, not sure I'll do it a third time.

• 5 months later...

Good lord my Hiltless bled BP Miralda to death in front of me. Should've read this topic sooner that bleeding too can f'd my run.

On 8/6/2018 at 7:38 PM, viech54 said:

That's

1-1 (help Ostrava)

1-2 (help Ostrava again)

2-1

2-2 (get Patches)

3-1 (get Freke)

3-2 (kill Yurt)

4-2 (get Urbain)

Just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the breakdown.