Anyone else a fan of Street Fighter 1?

Let's face it, Street Fighter 1 has aged badly, compared to what would become Street Fighter II, it's an absolute shit game in comparison.

However I still remember when this game first came out, in 1987 in the arcades, alongside games like Double Dragon before even the scrolling beat-em-up boom had happened let alone the 1 on 1 genre.

Despite the game's flaws I have fond memories of it, it was so much better than Konami's Yie Ar Kung Fu at the time. Check that game out on youtube, very small sprites, so special moves, you can't even attack when you jump. It's awful compared to Street Fighter 1.

I think I was only about 7 or 8, but I remember watching this group of 3 guys playing it in Arcades, they kept taking in turns and always starting again from stage 1 everytime they died, so they'd be getting their moneys worth. All the tips and tricks, flying kicks on the corner with some enemies,
Arcades were rock solid back in the day and this game is a victim of that. Almost all games were nearly impossible back then, so you'd keep playing.

Street Fighter 1 is just plain unfair at times, but still, I was still mesmerised by these guys playing, getting as far as Adon I think it was, before starting again from the beginning.

There was a certain mystery about it. The cheesy sampled voices, the karate chop stage. Most games had 2 buttons, let alone 6. And the first time I saw someone do a fireball, it was a plain cabinet so nobody knew how to do any special moves.

Shame games don't have this kind of vibe or style anymore, the original Street Fighter was more of a survival game than a tournament style 1 on 1 fighter like Street Fighter II became.At the time this game was a hit, so it's good that it spawned Capcom to create Street Fighter II.

It's very dated now of course, but we have it to thank it for bringing us all the Street Fighters after it. Imagine if Street Fighter 1 was a massive flop.....

In 2018, at least we have save states in this version to help us complete it. :)

• Like 4

You’re definitely a guy likely in his 40s because you had to have been old enough to remember those old arcade titles. 

I think the game was crap. Had none of the iconic looks and characters of Street Fighter 2. The fighting controls weren’t that good either, it was Capcom experimenting with fighting games, may of taken inspiration from Double Dragon and Kung Fu which were both on the NES. Though admittedly, both were beat em ups. 

You may remember Pit Fighter, which was a fighting game with crappy looking characters that were supposed to resemble real people. Once Street Fighter 2 made it to the arcades Pit Fighter was pretty much history. 

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Wouldn't call myself a fan in a million years but I actually wished that Capcom would go back to the series roots after SFIV and its updates and made a proper Street Fighter 1 remake as a base game (with Alpha/Zero content in mind) with further installations built around it (i.e. SF2 content season pass, SF3 season pass, etc.) instead of what we got with V and now 6. This and another sprite-based style SF game is pretty much my wet dream in terms of looking forward to.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

Wouldn't call myself a fan in a million years but I actually wished that Capcom would go back to the series roots after SFIV and its updates and made a proper Street Fighter 1 remake as a base game (with Alpha/Zero content in mind) with further installations built around it (i.e. SF2 content season pass, SF3 season pass, etc.) instead of what we got with V and now 6. This and another sprite-based style SF game is pretty much my wet dream in terms of looking forward to.

You might be a fan of this instead.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/20/2018 at 0:13 AM, enaysoft said:

*snip

Man, I can't believe you're pimping out a thread from 2018. Bravo. Ok, I'll bite.

I actually feel like most people don't understand older games like SF1 and  AoF 1 & 2.

I can easily 1CC Street Fighter 1 and Art of Fighting 2 on their hardest difficulty because I understand the type of games they are. AoF 1 and 2 are more strategy games than they are 1v1 2d fighting games. SF1 must also be approched way differently than SF2, or even Yie Ar. For one thing, all buttons on SF1 work on negative edge. 

Negative edge, for those unfamiliar, is when buttons engage when you release them instead of deppress them. So, if you want to throw a fireball, you must do it this way:

LP (hold), qcf + (release LP)

You can tell it works that way while just pressing buttons in neutral.

I also remember this game on release about the same age. I'm guessing we are exactly the same age. I was also too small to play a cabinet when this first came out. The first time I saw it was in a pizza joint with a bunch of cholos in LA, punching the shit out of it. However, they weren't punching it out of frustration. The very first iteration of SF1 was not based on a 6-button layout. There were two, large boxing buttons: one for punch and one for kick. Depending on how hard you hit the buttons was the strength of your attack.

I've always enjoyed SF1 and think it gets a bad wrap. It's just misunderstood. 

image-asset.png?format=1000w

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

Man, I can't believe you're pimping out a thread from 2018. Bravo. Ok, I'll bite.

Wut! That's only 5 years ago! lol

As opposed to SF1 which is THIRTY SIX years ago....

(ps Actually I can't believe the collection has been out for over 5 years, only seems like 1 or 2...)

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

Since I recently picked up the CAS2 collection, and have been playing it like mad, I decided to do a SF1 full, 1cc, play through and posted the video.  Here's a treat for all those die-hard SF1 fans.

Just as an aside, there seems to be something wrong with this ROM.  I've played through the original arcade cabinet version plenty of times, and not once have they done the knockout animation mid-air like they do on this port.  Was the strangest thing I saw when I first boot this up.  Anyway, enjoy!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

Since I recently picked up the CAS2 collection, and have been playing it like mad, I decided to do a SF1 full, 1cc, play through and posted the video.  Here's a treat for all those die-hard SF1 fans.

Just as an aside, there seems to be something wrong with this ROM.  I've played through the original arcade cabinet version plenty of times, and not once have they done the knockout animation mid-air like they do on this port.  Was the strangest thing I saw when I first boot this up.  Anyway, enjoy!

Just watched the whole thing, I have quite a few things to say.

First of all Jesus Christ, that was very impressive. I can sometimes 1CC with Ken on Street Fighter II but not too often, you got half a million CASPO points on this run and steam rolled through the entire game in 10 minutes.

You should play when SF1 is on an event, AND you should press L1 a few times before the game starts, I am pretty sure there is a 1CC mission that nets you double points. At your level of skill, you could easily get 2 MILLION CASPO in 10 minutes if you can pull of that skill easily.

I thought Sagat might have taken you down, but wow, the special moves in this game, are like Super Turbo attacks, taking off half or more of the enemy's health. Very handy if you can actually pull off the moves successfully. I  never realised that the game spells Thailand as Tailand.

There was also some weird bullshittness going on in Birdie Round 1 where he seemed to just be invincible to Dragon Punch.

I still find the voice over weird it honestly sounds like "Girls" instead of "Guys" because the voice sample is so low quality.

But man, that was thoroughly entertaining, you would have been king of the arcade that's for sure.

If you don't mind playing SF1 a ton of times, you could probably the first person to get 100 Million Caspo points legit lol.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Just watched the whole thing, I have quite a few things to say.

First of all Jesus Christ, that was very impressive. I can sometimes 1CC with Ken on Street Fighter II but not too often, you got half a million CASPO points on this run and steam rolled through the entire game in 10 minutes.

You should play when SF1 is on an event, AND you should press L1 a few times before the game starts, I am pretty sure there is a 1CC mission that nets you double points. At your level of skill, you could easily get 2 MILLION CASPO in 10 minutes if you can pull of that skill easily.

I thought Sagat might have taken you down, but wow, the special moves in this game, are like Super Turbo attacks, taking off half or more of the enemy's health. Very handy if you can actually pull off the moves successfully. I  never realised that the game spells Thailand as Tailand.

There was also some weird bullshittness going on in Birdie Round 1 where he seemed to just be invincible to Dragon Punch.

I still find the voice over weird it honestly sounds like "Girls" instead of "Guys" because the voice sample is so low quality.

But man, that was thoroughly entertaining, you would have been king of the arcade that's for sure.

If you don't mind playing SF1 a ton of times, you could probably the first person to get 100 Million Caspo points legit lol.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah, I had a rep in arcades out here. The guys always tried to get me to go to tourneys, but that just wasn't my thing. Gaming is a hobby, not a job for me. 

I do enjoy a lot about sf1, but I was pretty decent at 3s and USF4. Those were my favorite SF games of all time.

Oh, not sure if I mentioned it or not, but that run was on hardest difficulty. Also, if you get lucky, you one shot taller opponents like Birdie and Sagat with one DP. I did it two times in a row in this video.

Edited by Kittens Are Awesome
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, enaysoft said:

It's honestly so weird that the first Street Fighter even has the special moves translated. Hearing Ryu say "Dragon Punch" in English is so odd. And what is the english for Fireball, moving fire?

It sounds like he's saying "high fire" or "hard fire", but with the archaic voice digitization, it's so hard to tell. Even the tatsu, he says "haiya...." something. It's definitely different than any other SF. At least you can clearly hear him say "dragon punch".

On 12/06/2023 at 8:49 PM, Kittens Are Awesome said:

It sounds like he's saying "high fire" or "hard fire", but with the archaic voice digitization, it's so hard to tell. Even the tatsu, he says "haiya...." something. It's definitely different than any other SF. At least you can clearly hear him say "dragon punch".

Great timing but, you'll definitely love this video. I just finished watching it.

• Like 1