Can anyone recommend a good steering wheel?

connorbartram

As the subject said, I'm seriously thinking about getting a steering wheel to finally finish off Gran Turismo 5 and 6; as it's a widely known fact the wheels make it somewhat easier, and more fun.

Obviously the 2 big names are Thrustmaster and Logitech. The one I've seen recommended more than most for Thrustmaster is the T300 RS, and for Logitech it's the G29. 

From what I can tell, the Thrustmaster has the better feedback and is perhaps more "realistic", but the pedals are meant to be awful, it gets hot quick, and the whole thing wears out and even stops working pretty quickly...

I don't have as much information on the Logitech, but heard similar stories about it wearing out quickly.

So I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences and recommendations of any steering wheel that lives up to its price tag.

This is my first post so no idea if I put this in the correct place, so my apologies.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Hey there. Hopefully, I'm not too late here. ?

I personally got a Logitech G27 at the beginning of 2018 with the express purpose of getting the Platinum on GT5. Let me tell you, it definitely makes achieving a good time easier as I have been using it for fun on GT6 (which I already completed time ago) and noticed I was able to shave precious seconds and milliseconds from many events. It also makes playing other racing games much cooler.

I got my Logitech G27 used and paid around $94 bucks for it. The wheel came in its original packaging in very good condition, complete with manual, PC drivers and whatnot. One minor detail on the leather that is on the shift stick but nothing major. For whatever reason, the original owner painted the metal parts at the center of the on black. I normally don't like recoloring products but the paint job was properly done and it actually makes the wheel looks better.

Performance wise, it feels great. The force feedback is appropriate and both the sensitivity on the wheel itself and shifter feels great. The pedals, however, are more of a hit and miss for me. Both the accelerator and clutch feel appropriate but the brake pedal is exceptionally hard. Like, I haven't driven any vehicle in real life that has such a hard brake pedal lol. It does require a bit of force in order to brake properly. This section worked great when I got the wheel, but after a year or so of use, I've noticed the brake pedal sometimes very, very slightly presses itself. Barely noticeable and the brake is not being fully pressed but it does reduce my overall speed sometimes if I don't pump it up. It may be dust or something else trapped inside but I haven't had the chance to check it. The paddle shifters and all the other buttons work great too. Other than that, it feels great. Very satisfied with it.

I have heard many great things about the Thrustmaster wheels but I have also heard they are prone to overheat, and considering the much higher price point they have compared to the Logitech wheels, that's what turned me away from them.

One thing to have in mind is that the Logitech G27 is not compatible by default with the PS4. Only works on PS3 and PC I believe. There are ways to make it compatible with PS4 and other devices but you will have to do some extra research on that. The G29 is compatible with the PS4, PS3, and PC but it doesn't come with the shift stick by default and carries a higher price tag than the old G27. So, yeah... I personally went for the G27 because I needed to save on the money and didn't want to pay more for the shift stick

Good luck man. If you need any other info, I'll be more than happy to provide :)

• Like 1