Remember how Ouya was supposed to be across from E3? Someone called the cops on them

Lady Lilith

http://kotaku.com/someone-called-the-cops-on-the-ouya-guys-512796268

ku-xlarge.jpg

Remember how the Ouya development team were going to be showing their stuff in a parking lot opposite E3? Yeah, looks like that's caused some problems.

The console's developers have been sparring with E3's organisers, the ESA, and earlier today that sparring blew over into something you'd expect from a bad 80s sitcom.

According to a report on IGN, this is what happened:

• Ouya team sets up in parking lot opposite E3.
  • ESA rents out parking space in front of the Ouya booth, parks huge trucks in there, obscuring the Ouya booth.
  • Ouya team retaliate by renting out the spots in front of the trucks, erecting big OUYA banners.
  • ESA respond by calling the cops, trying to get Ouya's booth shut down.

In case you couldn't tell by the image above, this wasn't exactly a SWAT team. Permits were checked, and the police left without taking further action.

Shame. "E3 Attendees Tear-Gassed Following Parking Lot Brawl" is a headline on my bucket list.

But to be fair, they are also using the advertising from E3, but not wanting to pay for it. Their competitors are. Ouya are just on a publicity stunt, esa got caugt out by them

To be even fairer, it's not like the Ouya's been usurping any of the other consoles in any noticeable way. If the atmosphere in the gaming industry was still one of passion for making games, and being excited about platforms for sharing games, this wouldn't have happened. It's indicative of how much we've lost as a community in that last ten years. The big names are here to stay on top, because they love their profits and business, and damn anyone else that tries to get a share of that.

Every entertainment industry on Earth right now is being sucked dry of real passion and creativity, and it's depressing to see. That's not to say that what's being produced is unenjoyable, or that there isn't anything creative at all, but think about where we stand now compared to ten or twenty years ago, in every media form. Quantity and profit over quality and substance. And in an industry where it's this expensive to produce and publish games in such a way that they'll sell and actually support your studio, that's the absolutely worst tendency to have.

Edited by Curb

To be even fairer, it's not like the Ouya's been usurping any of the other consoles in any noticeable way. If the atmosphere in the gaming industry was still one of passion for making games, and being excited about platforms for sharing games, this wouldn't have happened. It's indicative of how much we've lost as a community in that last ten years. The big names are here to stay on top, because they love their money, and damn anyone else that tries to get a share of that.

Well, they could've paid like everyone else did. Mad Catz were showing a competiting product, and they paid to showcase it. They managed to get a LOT more than needed for their project on kickstarter, marketing is also a budget you take into account when releasing a product.

They want to do it the underhand way, and also publicised it before E3, you can't blame ESA's customers from complaining about it...

However that probably kinda backfired, as I hadn't even heard about Ouya at E3 until they did this stunt, so ESA basically gave them free advertising ...

Well, they could've paid like everyone else did. Mad Catz were showing a competiting product, and they paid to showcase it. They managed to get a LOT more than needed for their project on kickstarter, marketing is also a budget you take into account when releasing a product.

They want to do it the underhand way, and also publicised it before E3, you can't blame ESA's customers from complaining about it...

However that probably kinda backfired, as I hadn't even heard about Ouya at E3 until they did this stunt, so ESA basically gave them free advertising ...

No, they want to be separate from that whole system that I described, which is why I can respect it. It's a business like any other, to be sure, but they're not fans of excluding indie developers and punishing folks for messing with their own systems and basically monopolizing a several billion dollar industry, which allows for unethical business practices like on-disc DLC and ridiculously overpriced passes and add-ons.

It's not that they couldn't afford it, it's that they refused it. It's a protest.

You don't refuse it but standing outside the show mate, they are pretending to not care, while trying to be there all at the same time  :)

You want to refuse a system? Build your own (they could've done web stream, etc) there are lots of options out there.

I do agree with what you said in regards to the money grabbers, but that's for gamers to decide what to do.

although I still feel the ouya is an overpriced piece of rubbish ;)

You don't refuse it but standing outside the show mate, they are pretending to not care, while trying to be there all at the same time  :)

You want to refuse a system? Build your own (they could've done web stream, etc) there are lots of options out there.

I do agree with what you said in regards to the money grabbers, but that's for gamers to decide what to do.

although I still feel the ouya is an overpriced piece of rubbish ;)

That's exactly how you do it. It's incredibly rare for someone to just spontaneously decide to look for alternative to the status quo unless they've personally been burned; the Ouya guys were there trying to lead people away and show them the other side, for lack of a better word. Sure they could have done their own 'event' via outlets like streaming, but there are still plenty of folks who hadn't heard of the Ouya (like yourself). So they'll go to an event where gaming is featured, and they'll try to grab attention. From the photographs it hardly looked as though they had their own demo booth set up - they were probably just spreading word about their own event or website anyway.

It's like recent protests with Monsanto - most of them are at places like grocery stores. It's just the best avenue to get attention, and it's certainly the most relevant. Yeah, you could argue the Ouya people were just there for some free attention, but they'd also have been extremely out of place at a car show.

It's definitely not the greatest out there, that's for sure, but I'd hardly call it overpriced at $99 :P

I'd still call it overpriced, that's a third of the cost of a PS3 !! F2P games do not exist, there's micro transactions for that :P

I didn't make myself clear earlier on, as I knew about ouya a long time ago (I follow a lot of tech sites, and of course kick starter) - I just hadn't heard about them since they press released they would be on the carpark opposite E3. ESA have done them a favour