Game Breaking Templar Outfit Glitch - How To Fix

I recently came into contact with this essentially game breaking glitch, there is no solution online and after much personal testing I have found the solution.

What is the glitch?

When you acquire the Templars outfit on the HMS Miranda and fast travel away quickly the game locks up and prevents you from doing anything but loading memories. This essentially causes much of the game to be impossible to complete. It is my belief that the glitch is actually caused by the cutscene and not the outfit as most seem to think (removing the outfit does not fix the glitch).

How to avoid?

If you want to avoid it in the first place then make sure to either leave the outfit as your very last thing or to not fast travel for a few minutes after obtaining the outfit.

I have the glitch, what can I do?

Depending on what you still require to do in the game it can vary, if you just require things in River Valley and New York then you could consider using previous story missions to get those out of the way, however you wont be able to fast travel and this will probably slow you down considerably. I would consider attempting to fix the glitch even if you don't need the North Atlantic anymore. If you need Anything in the North Atlantic then you will need to fix the glitch, any story mission located there will be locked so they cannot be used.

How do I fix the glitch?

There's 2 potential options here that I have found, neither is particularly hard or easy but they are both very luck based.

1. Allow your ship to drift in the North Atlantic until a large wave comes, the type that does damage unless you brace. If your ship is angled well then you should be able to brace and after coming out of the brace you should be able to control your ship and use your guns. Just in case try to spam your guns while bracing. I only managed to get this to work once with a wave and another time it randomly allowed me to brace while next to land, though I suspect there was a wave I couldn't see. Once you have control do not pause the game, or enter your ship to change outfits the outfit isn't actually what has caused the glitch, and changing it won't stop it from happening (if you enter the cabin and change outfits when you come back out it will relock) similarly pausing the game locks it again. What you should do is go to the map and fast travel anywhere in River Valley or New York (I went to River Valley can't actually testify for New York). Once there read the next part.
  2. Allow your ship to drift in the North Atlantic until you hit a fast travel zone and fast travel to River Valley or New York (I went to River Valley can't actually testify for New York). This is the method I ended up using successfully as I relocked the game both times I used the wave method because I didn't think to fast travel immediately (I thought the outfit was the issue). I just left the game idle overnight and when I came back it was on the fast travel options screen. Once there read the next part.

Once you have managed to make it to either River Valley or New York you are pretty much safe, change out of the Templar outfit (unsure if required but just in case) and then make a back up save (again just in case) then fast travel to the HMS Miranda viewpoint. Once you have loaded in the game will play through the cutscene as if you have just unlocked the Templar outfit. Congratulations your game is fixed. Just in case take your time before leaving, I personally rode my ship to one of the towns before I did anything.

What doesn't do anything to help fix?

1. Docking into any location will just get you stuck at the wheel
  2. Harpooning will make you playthrough the minigame with no hud and resume you drifting after you complete
  3. Removing the Templar outfit while still in the North Atlantic if you managed to get unstuck, this will cause you to freeze once you leave the cabin once you exit
  4. Fast Traveling anywhere in the North Atlantic from the North Atlantic, untested but all information leads to this freezing the game, it might work if you go to the HMS Miranda but no guarantees.
  5. Trying anything in memories, nothing done there will help you. Interestingly however when you load one of the memories a glitchy version of the Templar outfit cutscene plays, this is what gave me the idea of doing anything I could to return to the location that you obtain the outfit and made it clearer that the cutscene is the issue not the outfit.
  6. Drifting into a Legendary Battle, again untested but it would probably just have you do the legendary battle and then spit you back out into a frozen North Atlantic.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CJVerds said:

I’ve got this bug, I have the save still but I haven’t played it in about a week. I’m pretty sure my character is locked on an island and I’m unable to fast travel at all. Can I go into a memory and float and hope for the fast travel?

Unfortunately even if you hit the fast travel zones in memories (it can happen) it would just take you out of the memory. Thinking on it a bit more there is a single possibility you could try:

1. Load into a North Atlantic mission that takes place after you become a Templar (so pretty much every mission after the assassin portion, this is because I don't think you're meant to be able to claim the Templar outfit before becoming a Templar) and that starts you on your ship (pretty much all of them).
  2. Allow your ship to drift until you come across one of the large waves I mentioned in the OP, follow the steps there and hope that you can manage to gain control through bracing. If you manage to do it remember not to pause the game at any point (the map probably shouldn't be opened either though I can't confirm if that will relock the game.
  3. With control of your ship sail (unfortunately without map assist so it might be pretty difficult) to the HMS Miranda and make your way to the door that you get the Templar armor from.
  4. Hopefully the cutscene should play out when you get close enough and this should hopefully unlock the game properly.

I can't guarantee this will work and there's a good chance that it won't because you're doing this in a memory but it could be worth a try.  Even if this doesn't work you can sill use the wave method in a memory to get most trophies bar the legendary ships in North Atlantic.

2 hours ago, CJVerds said:

So far, no luck. Any mission in the NA has me stuck. The River area is fine, I can do supply camps etc but I’ll still be missing the four trophies for the two NA cheats, royal convoys and finalising the 100% story.

As I mentioned your only chance is to drift in a NA memory mission and hope you can break the lock with a large wave or something else. Spend some time drifting and spamming the brace buttons and the front firing cannon buttons and hope that something causes them to work.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I don’t think I encountered this at all in the original game. This could be a glitch in the remaster. Knowing Ubisoft, this is probably something that won’t ever be fixed.

It's in the original games, but no at this point I would say there is no chance of it being fixed officially.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

I don’t think I encountered this at all in the original game. This could be a glitch in the remaster.

Happened to me on ps3, didn't know how to fix it, but managed to finish the required objectives via DNA(some stuff with VETERAN active) without doing 100% again. When I found out that this glitch is STILL in the remaster it kinda amazed me, honestly.

Edited by Akrioz

6 minutes ago, Akrioz said:

Happened to me on ps3, didn't know how to fix it, but managed to finish the required objectives via DNA(some stuff with VETERAN active) without doing 100% again. When I found out that this glitch is STILL in the remaster it kinda amazed me, honestly.

Doesn't surprise me at all honestly.

Ubisoft is too busy working on multiple projects that they can't be concerned when an old game of theirs has problems. It's probably why they keep shoving the original Assassins Creed under the rug even though a much needed remaster and/or a remake would do it justice.

They probably get a second hand development team to port the games over.

Edited by Spaz

• 3 years later...

What a f****** joke this is. Had only 6 trophies left to get the platinum and now stuck on a island and can't move and can't access the map. So pissed off right now. Just deleted / uninstalled the game. 

Looking online this bug / glitch was apparently in the original game and Ubisoft were too lazy to fix it for the remastered version?!