Any general tips for someone starting?

iGGTheEnd

So ive beaten the game with Rogue only so far, I have made it to the last boss with 2 other classes but the last boss can 1 shot me which is kinda shit especially if im low when I get to him.

Any tips in general for this game like what areas are easier for late game and which I should knock out early?

Also are there guides out there for best builds for each class?

Rogue is the easiest class to play because it has so many cards that draw additional cards when you play them.  You can get in a lot of damage etc without letting the opponent play very often.  The trick for getting the other classes to work is to try to build your deck to be more like the Rogue's deck.  I don't really remember the specific names of all of the cards, but every class has some access to cards that will draw more cards.  Cleric is probably the toughest here, since I think it only has one card (Divine Blessing) that does this, unless I'm forgetting something else you can get.

So in general, you will want to add cards like that and delete the basic attack cards when you get the chance, since they don't really deal that much damage and will just make you end your turn sooner.  You don't really want to let the last boss (or the shadow boss on Legendary) get many turns.  Getting a piece of gear with +1 AP per support card played is also very good for most classes, since a lot of the cards that draw more cards are support cards.

As far as getting through the levels, you don't need to kill absolutely everything, since your level caps out (I think it's at 15 if I'm remembering correctly), but you should try to get there.  Generally, I cleared out the first two levels, since they were the easiest and then cleared out enough of the final level to uncover the boss, and leveled up until I hit the max, then fought the boss.  That way you get your HP refilled before the final boss fight (since it gets refilled at every level up).

These are general strategies and since there's randomness they may not always work on every run.  Maybe you'll have trouble finding the boss quickly enough on the last level, or maybe you won't be able to delete all of the cards from your deck that you want, etc.  But, I hope it gives you some idea how I approached the game.

• Like 2

Sounds good 

1 hour ago, dmland12 said:

Rogue is the easiest class to play because it has so many cards that draw additional cards when you play them.  You can get in a lot of damage etc without letting the opponent play very often.  The trick for getting the other classes to work is to try to build your deck to be more like the Rogue's deck.  I don't really remember the specific names of all of the cards, but every class has some access to cards that will draw more cards.  Cleric is probably the toughest here, since I think it only has one card (Divine Blessing) that does this, unless I'm forgetting something else you can get.

So in general, you will want to add cards like that and delete the basic attack cards when you get the chance, since they don't really deal that much damage and will just make you end your turn sooner.  You don't really want to let the last boss (or the shadow boss on Legendary) get many turns.  Getting a piece of gear with +1 AP per support card played is also very good for most classes, since a lot of the cards that draw more cards are support cards.

As far as getting through the levels, you don't need to kill absolutely everything, since your level caps out (I think it's at 15 if I'm remembering correctly), but you should try to get there.  Generally, I cleared out the first two levels, since they were the easiest and then cleared out enough of the final level to uncover the boss, and leveled up until I hit the max, then fought the boss.  That way you get your HP refilled before the final boss fight (since it gets refilled at every level up).

These are general strategies and since there's randomness they may not always work on every run.  Maybe you'll have trouble finding the boss quickly enough on the last level, or maybe you won't be able to delete all of the cards from your deck that you want, etc.  But, I hope it gives you some idea how I approached the game.

Okay, I was thinking more card draw the better in every class, so basically not every run is going to be winnable?

Which classes should I not try to use for the legendary runs I see theres 14 classes would Dragon and merchant be the two I drop?

Edited by iGGTheEnd

52 minutes ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Sounds good 

Okay, I was thinking more card draw the better in every class, so basically not every run is going to be winnable?

Which classes should I not try to use for the legendary runs I see theres 14 classes would Dragon and merchant be the two I drop?

Yeah, probably not every run will be winnable, although it's hard to say where the line is.  Some are going to be better than others for sure.  Sometimes you'll just get screwed at the end and it could have gone either way too.

As for the classes, I did both Dragon and Merchant legendary runs.  I thought Merchant was one of the easier classes, so I'd go for Legendary with it for sure if you're going for the platinum.  You can basically build any deck you want with the Merchant, so as long as you have a good plan...

I also found the Blue/Ice version of the Dragon to be very good late game.  You end up putting lots of Frozen cards in your opponents decks, clogging them up.  Green/Poison Dragon can be good too.  The Red/Fire and Yellow/Lightning ones are pretty weak I think.  The main problem with the Dragon class is that it's one of the harder classes to build a good deck with, since there's no merchants available so you.  But, if you do get a good build, it can be very good...

The two I didn't do Legendary with were Brute and Apothecary.  I'd recommend skipping Brute for the 12 class legendary trophy.  But, as for Apothecary, I think it's probably not too horrible, but I just didn't like the class much.  I tried with other classes first and didn't need to do it.

40 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

Yeah, probably not every run will be winnable, although it's hard to say where the line is.  Some are going to be better than others for sure.  Sometimes you'll just get screwed at the end and it could have gone either way too.

As for the classes, I did both Dragon and Merchant legendary runs.  I thought Merchant was one of the easier classes, so I'd go for Legendary with it for sure if you're going for the platinum.  You can basically build any deck you want with the Merchant, so as long as you have a good plan...

I also found the Blue/Ice version of the Dragon to be very good late game.  You end up putting lots of Frozen cards in your opponents decks, clogging them up.  Green/Poison Dragon can be good too.  The Red/Fire and Yellow/Lightning ones are pretty weak I think.  The main problem with the Dragon class is that it's one of the harder classes to build a good deck with, since there's no merchants available so you.  But, if you do get a good build, it can be very good...

The two I didn't do Legendary with were Brute and Apothecary.  I'd recommend skipping Brute for the 12 class legendary trophy.  But, as for Apothecary, I think it's probably not too horrible, but I just didn't like the class much.  I tried with other classes first and didn't need to do it.

Thank you a ton, im unsure if I will ever get the plat but I will definetly try for it because I am having fun so far.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I know this thread is ancient, and I'm not fully done with the game yet - still have 3 Legendary completions to go... but I've served enough time with it to have a few tips for players coming after me!

1. Play on Legendary. The only real difference between Legendary and Normal, is that in Legendary, there is a final boss after the Harbinger. Since you need to defeat the Harbinger anyways, if you do, but lose to the final boss, it still registers the same as a "Normal" completion, so there's no real downside to playing Legendary - except that you lose all your equipped  equipment when you die. 
  2. Check what cards are given to each character at the outset - these give a good indication of the type of build you should be going for. If a character has lots of "critical Hits" - you won't have much luck trying to build a fire deck. Play into the strengths of each character, and learn how to use them.
  3. Delete normal "attack cards" whenever possible. They are not useful for really any character, and just clog the deck. Replace them with better cards when you can.
  4. Always favour cards that "draw" more cards - keeping your deck in a fast cycle is generally advantageous.
  5. Don't always spend gold at the first decent looking card. The area 3 merchants have HELLA good cards. You want them - not some piddly Area 1 stuff.
  6. Use Area 1 and Area 2 Champions to upgrade cards, and Area 3 ones to add extra AP. Area 3 Champions give +3 AP, and that is more useful than upgrading cards, usually.
  7. Use Area 1 and Area 2 Healers to delete useless cards quickly. You don't need the healing - you'll be getting it from level-ups anyways.
  8. Watch out for Wraiths. They can one-shot almost anyone using something called Wraith Fade. Cancel that card any chance you get, and otherwise, take them down QUICKLY.
  9. Avoid areas with a lot of poisons characters, unless you have Poison cancelling equipment (Swamp / Temple of Ancients / Forrest.) Poison is OP against you, and a killer.
  10. When spending "Fame", concentrate on firstly unlocking all three "upgrades" for the character you are playing (and the next one you plan to play,) then unlock the bottom level. These are the ones that unlock the secondary companion abilities - and these are really useful.
  11. Always make sure you have all companion abilities recharged before going into a boss, and use them at the right times.
  12. You are given a few "try agains" - one for each area you beat, however, using them is not always the best idea. Using a "Try Again" restarts the current "day" and resets your cards / equipment to what it was at the beginning of the area, but lets you keep the level and XP and current gold... but that's not as good as it sounds. Because you get a full health replenishment when you level up, and you have already over-leveled a bit, it can make it harder, because you won't be getting the regular replenishment from the level-ups. Sometimes, it is better to just quit when you die, and restart the area that way.
  13. The Harbinger will have an immunity - and you can tell what it is by reading the Alter in the first area. In fact, all the alters tell you tips about the Harbinger - what his deck will be, what he is strong with etc for that run. THIS WILL NOT CHANGE IF YOU "TRY AGAIN" OR RESTART. It is fixed for that seed. If you are playing a character who is primarily physical (a brute, for example,) and you find out in area 1 that the Harbinger "does not fear the blade" (i.e. is immune to physical) you might be best to restart, remove all your equipment so you don't lose it (if you are on Legendary Mode), and abandon the run to get a re-rolled seed.
  14. The difference between success and failure can often be equipment... and getting high level stuff is tough - especially since you lose the stuff that was equipped to a character when they are victorious. If you don't have good equipment in your inventory for the next run, it can be useful to play a few runs with the "Merchant" character, take all "increase gold" cards, and save all gold until the third area. This way, you can buy loads of top-quality stuff (the merchant can re-roll at shops for no increase in gold each time), to use in other runs. Remember though - you only keep what you buy in an areas IF YOU THEN BEAT THAT BOSS. So make sure he/she is at least capable of beating the Harbinger to keep it all. (This is the one time playing on Normal is an advantage.) Helpfully, the Merchant is one of the easiest characters to play as generally, as it is easy to create a deck where they can "cancel" all but one enemy cards before their turn, rendering them powerless.
Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 8:13 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I know this thread is ancient, and I'm not fully done with the game yet - still have 3 Legendary completions to go... but I've served enough time with it to have a few tips for players coming after me!

1. Play on Legendary. The only real difference between Legendary and Normal, is that in Legendary, there is a final boss after the Harbinger. Since you need to defeat the Harbinger anyways, if you do, but lose to the final boss, it still registers the same as a "Normal" completion, so there's no real downside to playing Legendary - except that you lose all your equipped  equipment when you die. 
  2. Check what cards are given to each character at the outset - these give a good indication of the type of build you should be going for. If a character has lots of "critical Hits" - you won't have much luck trying to build a fire deck. Play into the strengths of each character, and learn how to use them.
  3. Delete normal "attack cards" whenever possible. They are not useful for really any character, and just clog the deck. Replace them with better cards when you can.
  4. Always favour cards that "draw" more cards - keeping your deck in a fast cycle is generally advantageous.
  5. Don't always spend gold at the first decent looking card. The area 3 merchants have HELLA good cards. You want them - not some piddly Area 1 stuff.
  6. Use Area 1 and Area 2 Champions to upgrade cards, and Area 3 ones to add extra AP. Area 3 Champions give +3 AP, and that is more useful than upgrading cards, usually.
  7. Use Area 1 and Area 2 Healers to delete useless cards quickly. You don't need the healing - you'll be getting it from level-ups anyways.
  8. Watch out for Wraiths. They can one-shot almost anyone using something called Wraith Fade. Cancel that card any chance you get, and otherwise, take them down QUICKLY.
  9. Avoid areas with a lot of poisons characters, unless you have Poison cancelling equipment (Swamp / Temple of Ancients / Forrest.) Poison is OP against you, and a killer.
  10. When spending "Fame", concentrate on firstly unlocking all three "upgrades" for the character you are playing (and the next one you plan to play,) then unlock the bottom level. These are the ones that unlock the secondary companion abilities - and these are really useful.
  11. Always make sure you have all companion abilities recharged before going into a boss, and use them at the right times.
  12. You are given a few "try agains" - one for each area you beat, however, using them is not always the best idea. Using a "Try Again" restarts the current "day" and resets your cards / equipment to what it was at the beginning of the area, but lets you keep the level and XP and current gold... but that's not as good as it sounds. Because you get a full health replenishment when you level up, and you have already over-leveled a bit, it can make it harder, because you won't be getting the regular replenishment from the level-ups. Sometimes, it is better to just quit when you die, and restart the area that way.
  13. The Harbinger will have an immunity - and you can tell what it is by reading the Alter in the first area. In fact, all the alters tell you tips about the Harbinger - what his deck will be, what he is strong with etc for that run. THIS WILL NOT CHANGE IF YOU "TRY AGAIN" OR RESTART. It is fixed for that seed. If you are playing a character who is primarily physical (a brute, for example,) and you find out in area 1 that the Harbinger "does not fear the blade" (i.e. is immune to physical) you might be best to restart, remove all your equipment so you don't lose it (if you are on Legendary Mode), and abandon the run to get a re-rolled seed.
  14. The difference between success and failure can often be equipment... and getting high level stuff is tough - especially since you lose the stuff that was equipped to a character when they are victorious. If you don't have good equipment in your inventory for the next run, it can be useful to play a few runs with the "Merchant" character, take all "increase gold" cards, and save all gold until the third area. This way, you can buy loads of top-quality stuff (the merchant can re-roll at shops for no increase in gold each time), to use in other runs. Remember though - you only keep what you buy in an areas IF YOU THEN BEAT THAT BOSS. So make sure he/she is at least capable of beating the Harbinger to keep it all. (This is the one time playing on Normal is an advantage.) Helpfully, the Merchant is one of the easiest characters to play as generally, as it is easy to create a deck where they can "cancel" all but one enemy cards before their turn, rendering them powerless.

Haha, I got the platinum for this a year ago, and I still shuddered at the words “wraith fade”. 

F*cking wraiths, man. 

• Like 1