Automatic Updates - Game Patches

theitdemon

Hello all

Apologies if this is covered in another thread. I used the search but couldn't find anything.

I recently bought PS+ and have got it set to download game patches. It has downloaded a couple but I can't install them.

When I try to install it from the XMB, it just comes up with an error.

Does anyone know what is wrong?

I have a theory that I thought of while walking to work which is that you can't install from the XMB. Instead, you have to start the game, then when it says an update is needed, it will install the downloaded patch.

This is just a thought I had and would be good to get more opinions / suggestions.

This sounds more like corrupted data than anything else.

My PS3 simply downloads the patches and installs them, I never have to do anything about it.

Try deleting the patches and the system will redownload them for you. If it doesn't automatically install all then you may name and shame the games as there is some sort of problem with the patch.

Are you downloading them or is the PS3 downloading them?

When you switch the PS3 off does it ask if you want to continue with automatic updates / download - cant remember what exactly but its a line above Yes No that you can tick a box in.

If its there tick it and it might sort the issue for you instead.

When you start the PS3 it should tell you that your trophy info has been synced, game saves uploaded (if you have that active) and what patches have been installed since the last start up, to take note if they are there.

As a UK based player I have found that the best time to set up automatic updates for is 10am. that way you get the new patches for the day which seem to release at 9am - my 8am update always missed those ;)

When you next start the PS3 and they patches are sitting in their little bubbles above your game just leave them alone and choose to switch off the PS3 again. then it should ask you about continuing the automatic updates. Tick the box and let the PS3 get on with it.

Once it switches off restart the PS3 and if it doesnt say patches were installed as soon as it starts there is some problem with the patches.

Shouldnt take it long to install a couple of patches as a 12GB download of mine the other night was installed in less then 15mins.

When you next start the PS3 and they patches are sitting in their little bubbles above your game just leave them alone and choose to switch off the PS3 again. then it should ask you about continuing the automatic updates. Tick the box and let the PS3 get on with it.

Once it switches off restart the PS3 and if it doesnt say patches were installed as soon as it starts there is some problem with the patches.

Shouldnt take it long to install a couple of patches as a 12GB download of mine the other night was installed in less then 15mins.

Thanks.

I will give it a try

What error code did you get?

I don't know off hand.

If I still have the problem after trying Rory's suggestion, I will find out and post back here.

I will let you know how I get on

Well, I tried again last night but still no luck.

I tried turning off the PS3 and making sure the little box was checked. It said 'installing' and turned off afterwards but I still have the bubbles in the 'Game' section of my

XMB.

I also noticed that, even though 1 of the downloads is a  few hundred MB, when it does the install, the install is only 25MB.

I am not sure what is happening.

When I try to install manually, it goes through the install, saying it is installing and showing a progress bar, then comes up with an error after saying

An error occured during the install process [80029563]

It seems to be corrupted data, try turning off automatic update and install the patches when you put the disc in for the games that needs patching, see if it works then

I have turned off automatic download of game patches.

I will just do them when I put the disc in like normal.

No.

I'm not too worried about it but just think it's a bit strange as it is happening to all the patches.

If it was one I wouldn't think anything of it but it is happening on all 3 that downloaded.

I have also downloaded them a few times.

Just seen it might be something to do with ISP.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to try another one so might have to live with it.

Also seen a suggestion that that they are corrupt.

This mmight be if they are being downloaded in background as PS3 might be doing other tasks t the same time and they become corrupted.

So it might be that the automatic downloads just isn't working for me.

On another note (but sort of related), it is downloading a patch for Portal 2 and I don't know why.

I have never played it (although a friend of mine played it on my PS3 using a guest account), but there is no game / save data on my PS3 so I am really stumped as to why it is being downloaded.

Any ideas?

Well, I have got the patches installed and have a theory.

The first thing I tried was to load the disc and install the patches from there (with them already downloaded) but it didn't work.

So I deleted the download and tried again. This time it worked.

Anyway, my theory is this:

When a game downloads and installs multiple patches it does it one at a time. My download consisted of 7 patches (in one download file).

I am thinking maybe this confuses the install process as it is trying to use specific parts of the file.

So I think it will probably be OK from now on as there should only ever be one patch to download and install rather than a few.

Does this make sense?

It seems odd though. I would have assumed that the system would install the patches in sequence, and if that was the case why would it look for something done in patch 1.5 whiles its downloading 1.3 (as examples)

Unless of course 1.3 was a mess and 1.5 was fixing it! :D

Hopefully you will have no further problems. :)

I thought they would be separate files as well.

But it explains why I was seeing a file size of (say) 1gb but installing was 200mb or so.

Seems the PS+ automatic update does all downloading first and then installs which will be fine if it just one patch.

Oh well, hopefully it is all sorted now