Outlaw Run Mean S Rank

I know there are hits and tips in the forums already about how to S rank all of the mini-games.  But this is the one that's giving me the most problems.  I am not good at racing games, I don't like them, I don't play them.  The best I've gotten in a CC.  I've watched YouTube videoes, read hints, everything.  Is there something I'm missing?  I find it very hard not to "oversteer" the car even when I only gently press on the analog sticks.  I also keep getting where two cards are side by side in the two-lane area or there's a car in front of one on the one lane passage.  How am I supposed to deal with these?  I've heard of this place with lots of points after the one lane area but I haven't actually seen it more than once, that's how badly it's going.

EDIT: If anyone ends up seeing this later while having trouble here's the final key I needed (other than some nice RNG).  After the beginning portion where the people are in straight lines there's a swerving back and forth bit.  Try to steer your car between the left and second left lanes, don't even aim at the people.  If you're between these two lanes you'll hit 9/10s of them.

Edited by Alternatewarning

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEP72wbgMFs basically shows everything, try to follow that path, the only thing's i'd advise is to not get a booster monokuma if it's in one of the places there are lots of cars, the places the video get them are about the only places i'd get them personally.

starting off, try to get the start boost, either hold x right before 1 or go, can't remember off the top of my head 

in the long stretch with 2 sets of people on each side, if you're right in the middle you can hit both 

as for the problems you're getting with 1/2 lane being blocked by cars, is due to being slow and hitting cars or getting REALLY unlucky. 

oversteering, i found holding left/right for about a second and then holding opposite to straighten the best way, this really is just playing and getting used to it, you'll get it down eventually. 

even doing a perfect run you can still be screwed by not getting enough point monokumas, so good luck with this. 

tldr: keep practicing and getting better, you're not really missing anything, just my personal tips

Well I've gotten to the point where I can get around 1660 points on the regular.  But that's the highest I can get.  I know I'm missing a few points when you have to dodge the car to the left but even so, it's not 40 people (~400 points), at max I probably miss 10.  So where is this other 300 points supposed to come from?  I'm honestly not even enjoying this game at all anymore, I just want to be done with it.

• 1 year later...

I can tell from your profile that you're long done with this but for anyone looking it up it's important to point out that there's very little rng involved. The placement of the points and cars is always the same. The variation only comes from the randomly placed Monokids and Monodams. Obviously the more Monodams the better since they award you with 1000 points each. I found that there's a reasonable amount of these distributed in most games. The Monokids are a bit trickier. They make you go really fast but you'll most certainly miss some points and risk hitting another car. If you do you're screwed because you'll lose a lot of time AND have another car in front of you at the single laned bit where you can't overtake (this is bad game design in my opinion). However if you manage to collect at least two Monodams without crashing you will have alot more time to spend at the final bit where there's a huge amount of points to grab. A classic risk vs. reward scheme. Also, during that two laned bit it's possible to collect points from both lanes if you pass them right in the middle with the nose of your car pointing slightly to the side. The game is sophisticated enough to make precise steering inputs rewarding. Anyway, once you get the gist of it you'll achieve S-Rank consistently. It took me about 40 minutes to get from 23.000 coins to a million.

Edited by Baka_Marimo
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...

recently went and did this trophy

If you do you're screwed because you'll lose a lot of time AND have another car in front of you at the single laned bit where you can't overtake (this is bad game design in my opinion).

i'm really glad i'm not the only one who thought this was fucking stupid lmao

as if having a single mistake wasn't punishing enough already, they go ahead and block you off from even a chance of redeeming yourself

luckily this trophy only took me about an hour to get but hey, less time than the outrun achievement in yakuza