Really need tips on combat - First play through on normal

Hi everyone,

So far I'm of very mixed opinions of the game at the moment. I see the potential but at the moment its aimed more towards negativity for my experience. 

I do not understand how the gun mechanics work. I saw a video and the guy killed one of those dark monsters with 4 bullets to the head. Now at the moment I am missing a lot due to how badly the game mechanics work when compared to the speed of the AI. But do they die on 4 shots on normal or was the guy playing on easy do you think. Often I miss headshots due to the AI moving to fast compared to the horrible slow speed that you have. 

Also. Does the block actually work? I cannot tell what the hell is going on here. The AI blocks and you cannot hurt it. You the player block and I get killed. 

Again the dark monster type things. I try to keep my distance but they do some attack where by they fling their arms towards you and you get asked to press R2. Do you rapidly press R2 or just press once? They also have a charge attack when they hit you and you seem to be laying on your back on the floor with no way to move... how to get out of this?

Without spoiling it for new gamers should they read this, I am currently going to the dissection room in order to get my third dog head. In order to conserve ammo, is the small pocket knife of any use against the enemies at this stage in the game?

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I bought this going off gamers opinions and the majority really enjoy the game. As I said I can see the potential definitely, but so far cannot make any sense of the mechanics and such. 

17 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Hi everyone,

So far I'm of very mixed opinions of the game at the moment. I see the potential but at the moment its aimed more towards negativity for my experience. 

I do not understand how the gun mechanics work. I saw a video and the guy killed one of those dark monsters with 4 bullets to the head. Now at the moment I am missing a lot due to how badly the game mechanics work when compared to the speed of the AI. But do they die on 4 shots on normal or was the guy playing on easy do you think. Often I miss headshots due to the AI moving to fast compared to the horrible slow speed that you have. 

Also. Does the block actually work? I cannot tell what the hell is going on here. The AI blocks and you cannot hurt it. You the player block and I get killed. 

Again the dark monster type things. I try to keep my distance but they do some attack where by they fling their arms towards you and you get asked to press R2. Do you rapidly press R2 or just press once? They also have a charge attack when they hit you and you seem to be laying on your back on the floor with no way to move... how to get out of this?

Without spoiling it for new gamers should they read this, I am currently going to the dissection room in order to get my third dog head. In order to conserve ammo, is the small pocket knife of any use against the enemies at this stage in the game?

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I bought this going off gamers opinions and the majority really enjoy the game. As I said I can see the potential definitely, but so far cannot make any sense of the mechanics and such. 

I'm feeling that either you need better guns or lower the difficulty I never really experienced much if any of the problems you described. Enemies died without to terribly much difficulty even on the hardest setting only issues was the bosses

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

I'm feeling that either you need better guns or lower the difficulty I never really experienced much if any of the problems you described. Enemies died without to terribly much difficulty even on the hardest setting only issues was the bosses

Well I will be going for the 100% completion so  no point in lowering difficulty. I suppose I just need to get used to the game. Played the Wolfenstein games right before this and they have incredible pace, so to then switch straight to this is probably why I am having so much trouble.

So can you kill early monster with the knife in order to save ammo? I cannot seem to get around them and go for the back like you can with the garage fight guy. I did get behind one and even though it wasn't facing me its strikes forward were still hitting me even though I was behind it. I think its just poorly made like some games are and you just have to work around the broken parts. 

3 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Well I will be going for the 100% completion so  no point in lowering difficulty. I suppose I just need to get used to the game. Played the Wolfenstein games right before this and they have incredible pace, so to then switch straight to this is probably why I am having so much trouble.

So can you kill early monster with the knife in order to save ammo? I cannot seem to get around them and go for the back like you can with the garage fight guy. I did get behind one and even though it wasn't facing me its strikes forward were still hitting me even though I was behind it. I think its just poorly made like some games are and you just have to work around the broken parts. 

Yeah u can use your knife for kills or just dodge the enemies completly till you can get better equipment it's been a lil while since I played so I can't tell ya where said better stuff is but when all else fails dodge and run like hell

Thanks chaps,

Can I just ask on this as well please.  As dcloud mention the saw for the mad play through after the speed run, I take it everything carries over to an NG+ or something?

And even though I am aiming for 100%, I read about coins actually being used but it never mentioned if spending them removes them as the total collected. Example, if I have 9 so far and spent them and then collected the other 9, would the trophy then pop or do you have to have all coins in your collection at once?

Coins do not carry over. Weapons and items such as walking shoes, skill saw, and unlimited ammo are unlocked by doing certain this in a playthrough of the game. Those items will carry over into your loot chest on every playthrough after. There are two items that increase your block also. Madhouse has more coins and they also all have to been done in a single playthrough

Not surprised at all by your reaction. This game is really not that good, it's insulting to be an re game. Oh and nothing carries over so you will have to do it all over again, along with seeing the horribly uncomfortable first person unskippable cinematics

• Like 1