Anger at the gate of games

Lonemankane

15 minutes ago, Sicho said:

that's too specific. Elitism is also when you think you have the authority to tell someone, what they should do or how they should behave etc. When you think up "rules" that "everyone" in the scene should follow (because, as you said, you think you are better than the others or you know better), that's a form of elitism.

For example: Elitism in the Punkrock Scene would be when you tell someone that he has to listen to this band and this band to "belong" and that the band he is listening to is not "true" punkrock or some BS like that.

This happens in gaming a lot as well.

"oh, mobile games aren't real games, you should play CS:GO on a competitive level or you are not really a gamer"

"oh Sims is a game for filthy casuals only, no real gamer would touch that"

and also
"if you don't play with this build and at least this much DPS etc. we won't take you with us because god forbid we would wipe and you could have a learning experience, git gud first and then come back"

all forms of elitism.

The Metallica vs Megadeth debate is a form of elitism, been in countless fights myself on the internet.

It means BOTH. What I said was my quick take, meaning what I thought about it.

People who are more skilled and have more difficult trophies than someone else, while they look down on that person, is elitism.

10 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

But here is what I find strange. Is elitism also part of gate keeping as well? Like say your playing payday 2 and your wanting to use your own build to help the team as your a say mix of fast speed and putting down sentries to help defend and can control others to fight for you. you try to join someone and they say you need to bring so on and so on even though you don't have a build for it. And then, they kick you out saying your not good enough for the team or something else that is kind of the same on them lines.

I think it depends on the situation to be honest. If you are in a group that wants to follow a specific meta, or course you only want people in that group that play like the meta is supposed to be played. If you are looking for a healer, you want a healer, not a tank. That's not necessary elitism, it's more of a strategic thing. If you are playing football and your team captain says "we will use the following tactic" and you do something completely different and hurt the team, you are not a team player and neither your coach nor your teammates are then "elitist" to point that out.

However, if you say "you need to have at least this and this level of armor to participate" while the meta would be perfectly playable in any other armor and the requirement is not really necessary, that's when it starts to form into elitism. You basically say that armor level and skill are the same and think that only skilled players can have armor level X and therefore you make X an requirement because you think that then only good players will join you. To take up the football example again: pointing out that someone is not playing the tactic you want is not elitism. Only accepting players in your team that wear shoes that at least are worth 200 bucks because you think that makes em better players and that would filter out the bad ones, might be elitist.
It's like saying "you are only true metal if you listen to X" - "you are only a real movie nerd if you have the following movie setup at home..." - "you are only good at this game if you have this armor" ...

Edited by Sicho

1 minute ago, Sicho said:

I think it depends on the situation to be honest. If you are in a group that wants to follow a specific meta, or course you only want people in that group that play like the meta is supposed to be played. If you are looking for a healer, you want a healer, not a tank. That's not necessary elitism, it's more of a strategic thing. If you are playing football and your team captain says "we will use the following tactic" and you do something completely different and hurt the team, you are not a team player and neither your coach nor your teammates are then "elitist" to point that out.

However, if you say "you need to have at least this and this level of armor to participate" while the meta would be perfectly playable in any other armor and the requirement is not really necessary, that's when it starts to form into elitism. You basically say that armor level and skill are the same and think that only skilled players can have armor level X and therefore you make X an requirement because you think that then only good players will join you. It's like saying "you are only true metal if you listen to X" - "you are only a real movie nerd if you have the following movie setup at home..." - "you are only good at this game if you have this armor" ...

Well I get the tactic parts but I meant more in the way of saying you need to be made for it and they don't let you respect your build fast or anything just kicked out

3 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

Well I get the tactic parts but I meant more in the way of saying you need to be made for it and they don't let you respect your build fast or anything just kicked out

well either they are assholes or they are afraid that you really don't have the necessary build and that having you in the group longer (and thus blocking a slot) might prevent a potential player with the right build to join them.

Just now, Sicho said:

well either they are assholes or they are afraid that you really don't have the necessary build and that having you in the group longer (and thus blocking a slot) might prevent a potential player with the right build to join them.

Ah well that kind of thing happens a lot in games such as payday 2 or killing floor 2

13 minutes ago, Sicho said:

Fucking Jesus. Back when I played World at Warcraft you'd always get these players who didn't know what they were doing. Thing is by the time Cataclsym came out Blizzard added in a PUG (Pick Up Group), Dungeon Finder tool. So basically you had players who rushed through the dungeon, get their loot and sign out. Not a problem normally, but I would get tanks where their class and gear was suited towards DPS. Most healers I had were pretty alright, but once in a while we'd get a crappy healer who gets the entire team wiped out, then signs out and tries to find other groups.

Basically I got players who didn't listen to the "we will use the following tactic" and just jerked off, usually by aggroing enemies that didn't need to be aggroed. Fun times.

It got even worse with the Looking for Raid tool. Long story short, I played Mists of Pandara for a bit, quit, and never looked back.

I can't even imagine what World of Warcraft is like nowadays.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Fucking Jesus. Back when I played World at Warcraft you'd always get these players who didn't know what they were doing. Thing is by the time Cataclsym came out Blizzard added in a PUG (Pick Up Group), Dungeon Finder tool. So basically you had players who rushed through the dungeon, get their loot and sign out. Not a problem normally, but I would get tanks where their class and gear was suited towards DPS. Most healers I had were pretty alright, but once in a while we'd get a crappy healer who gets the entire team wiped out, then signs out and tries to find other groups.

Basically I got players who didn't listen to the "we will use the following tactic" and just jerked off, usually by aggroing enemies that didn't need to be aggroed. Fun times.

It got even worse with the Looking for Raid tool. Long story short, I played Mists of Pandara for a bit, quit, and never looked back.

I can't even imagine what World of Warcraft is like nowadays.

That makes sense though getting pissed off but kicking people out randomly so they can't respec their build to do healing and so on is just a piss take. I mean in a game such as payday and killing floor you can respec when ever you like as long as it is before going into the mission and in the case of killing floor 2 you can change the skills when the trading pod is up. I just want to ask if you can call something like that where no one is given any chance to do anything and is kicked out a form of elitism or gate keeping and so on.

Edited by KANERKB

Kicking people from groups for things like that is less an elitism/gate keeping thing and more an impatient online player thing. MMO type games follow different rules in that regard, unless you're talking about top level stuff, the normal reason for getting bitched out is 'you're wasting time'. That's true of most games of the type, although there are exceptions.