Cloud Save Exploit

Much of the challenge in this collection can be sidestepped with cloud save scumming. Let's suppose you were aiming for the "For All Insectkind" trophy in Yars' Revenge and had scored 50,000 points towards the necessary 300,000. If you simply pause the game and go back to the main menu, the game will generate a temporary save state of wherever you were in the game (you with 50,000 points). From there, close the application, upload your save to the cloud, and then relaunch the game. If things go wrong when you resume and you run out of lives, then you can simply close the game and download your previously uploaded save and be right back in the fray with your 50,000 points.

This works for every game in the collection and makes most of the trophies far easier to collect since you can essentially save state wherever you want.
This is especially useful for the "Space Jockey," "We Don't Need no Fortification," "Payoff", and "For All Insectkind" trophies. Even the "Digging Deep" trophy is relatively easy to obtain if you have the patience to cloud save scum. So go nuts if you'd like an ultra rare plat without much effort. This exploit also works in both Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 as well if you're feeling ambitious. Good luck! 

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Interesting.

You practically beat @Danny_Johansen for fastest completion time. May have to play this pretty soon, since I do have it.

Thanks, and I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a pretty simple UR plat. I'm sure you'd crush it. Heck, with a little planning, you could easily complete it in much less time than I was able to. 

With the exploit, getting 300,000 points in Yars' Revenge was the most tedious/time-consuming overall for me as I had to save at least a dozen times and revert back many more times since I'm awful at the game. Finishing level 81 in Tempest was also a bit of a slog but since the level is so short, you can save every 5-10 seconds or so and slowly push your way through it. 

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Interesting.

You practically beat @Danny_Johansen for fastest completion time. May have to play this pretty soon, since I do have it.

This is known for a while and is used by me and other people, it is openly discussed on playstationtrophies. The save scum can be used to go much further than just obtaining all quickly. All the machines are saved at the same time so you can set up many of them just before you get the trophy. Many of the arcades only have 1 or 2 trophies for them and setting up 2 trophies isn't a big deal for them as many won't pop until you post the score after failing. You can set up every trophy 5 seconds before it pops. Allowing you to get all in 30 minutes if you want to compete for fastest achiever.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2020 at 4:02 AM, Danny_Johansen said:

This is known for a while and is used by me and other people, it is openly discussed on playstationtrophies. The save scum can be used to go much further than just obtaining all quickly. All the machines are saved at the same time so you can set up many of them just before you get the trophy. Many of the arcades only have 1 or 2 trophies for them and setting up 2 trophies isn't a big deal for them as many won't pop until you post the score after failing. You can set up every trophy 5 seconds before it pops. Allowing you to get all in 30 minutes if you want to compete for fastest achiever.

Yup, it's still worth mentioning on PSNP since there are no current threads here that mention the exploit.

For those curious, Atarster details the exploit further (and included a video of how to perform the exploit) in their Vol. 1 trophy guide on playstationtrophies. 

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 1

I've done this strategy for games like Sonic Mania and Contra Anniversary Collection.

What I did for Contra was I saved right before I was about to kill the final boss. The trophies in that collection pop once you get the endgame credits/cutscenes. I was able to pop a bunch of trophies in just 10 - 15 minutes of playing because I already played through most of the games beforehand. The only issue was Contra Hard Corps because of the different endings.

For Sonic Mania I collected all but 1 - 2 Gold Medallions and played the game normally. Saved me a whole bunch of time going towards a fast completion.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection can easily be done with save scumming, possible in under a hour. The big difference between that and the Atari games is the platinum for Sonic is much easier. These old Atari games are pretty brutal, even with save scumming you have to really work to get some of the trophies. Beating level 81 in Tempest is not easy.

• Like 2