Will I like this?

I originally placed this topic in the board for the PS3 version of the game by accident. I hope it's ok I've opened the topic here instead. 

I'm looking for a great game I can play throughout the summer, and not hurry myself through. I've been eyeing Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch for a while now, because there's something about the game that appeals to me. It looks fun and interesting, and I adore the Studio Ghibli art. HOWEVER... there's a couple of things that make me uncertain, and I hope people who have played the game can help me.

I'm a little tired of open world games right now, with lots of cutscenes and grinding. I was actually very close to buying Final Fantasy X the other day, because I feel nostalgic about the game, but the sheer thought of sitting through cutscene after cutscene (and grinding for hours) is not very appealing right now. Is Ni No Kuni like this? Is it very grindy and story-heavy? It is a JRPG after all, but I kind of hope one of you guys will come and tell me it's not that bad in that regard :P

I don't really mind if the game is challenging or anything like that, and it doesn't matter if it's long either, as I'll probably take my time and spread it out for the entire summer. Should I look for some more action-oriented arcade-like game instead, or would Ni No Kuni be a satisfying game for me to play?

Well all cutscenes are 3h 40m according to YouTube, and I assume that excludes no voice acted cutscenes/dialogs which there’s a lot of moments of as well. Not sure it’d be what you want there. 

Grinding wise, the game is pretty easy so you shouldn’t need to grind just play it normally. 

One annoying thing is that whenever you get a game over, you lose 10% gold you have. It also can be little unfair at times. Despite these, i'd say it's worth it. Grinding wasn't too bad either, as far as i can remember.

Edited by MrGarland

I always thought JRpgs mostly appeal to people because of their long and somewhat complex stories, I guess that's not always the case.

Ni No Kuni is a really long game with lots of cutscenes and story to enjoy. It seems that it might be a not good game for you right now. There's some grinding to it as well. If you would go for platinum, you would have to tame/evolve a lot of creatures and farm for quite a few items for your alchemy recipes.

• Like 1