A masterpiece?

Kiyan-13

Is this game objectively good to the point of being called a masterpiece?

Noticed this game from metacritic, where it's the highest rated ps4 game with a 9.5/10 rating. Although, the sample is not big enough(just above a thousand people) it still is worth checking. I became kinda pikcy over the years because I don't have as much time as I used to and I rarely if ever try any unknown(to me) games, but if it is that great I personally wouldn't want to miss it. So, can you(people who played it) give me your objective opinion and maybe compare it with a well-known game?

I adore Crystar!  It's a gorgeous game, the maps are stunning, also loved the story & characters.

It's one of my favorite JRPG's and it's also one that I still think about even though I finished a while ago. Also has one of my favorite game characters ever.

I would suggest getting the dlc, some of the costumes help with stats, etc. and try not to read spoilers if possible. 

Game made me lol a few times but also made me teary eyed and go 'wow' many times over.  

Hope you play!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunnydaleAlumni said:

I adore Crystar!  It's a gorgeous game, the maps are stunning, also loved the story & characters.

It's one of my favorite JRPG's and it's also one that I still think about even though I finished a while ago. Also has one of my favorite game characters ever.

I would suggest getting the dlc, some of the costumes help with stats, etc. and try not to read spoilers if possible. 

Game made me lol a few times but also made me teary eyed and go 'wow' many times over.  

Hope you play!

Thanks for replying!

Can you compare it with another game? And does it have any flaws as a game?

I'm considering about playing it, watched some reviews and it looks nice but I have some reservations. I always go for physical copies and this game has an expensive one, at least compared to what I'm used to pay. And, I know it's just me and this might sound like a silly reason not to play a game but I really hate when they use the same art image for all trophies with color differences... :(

I really enjoyed the game, story was really interesting and boss battles were fun. 

The only downside I could think of is that every new area you get to just has the same monsters but a different color so monster variety isn't great.

Edited by stupot00
  • Like 1

Just so you know, Crystar's user score used to be 6.7, but got inflated to a 9.5 because this one dude on ResetEra made a bunch of fake reviews. They also review-bombed AI: The Somnium Files, and although that got fixed up, Crystar's score hasn't been changed.

The actual situation was hilarious. The post I linked basically went in-depth on what the user scores used to be vs. what they are now. The way they explained the situation kinda gave away who actually did all the review bombing :giggle:

Edited by Golden Devil Gamer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Kiyan-13 said:

Thanks for replying!

Can you compare it with another game? And does it have any flaws as a game?

I'm considering about playing it, watched some reviews and it looks nice but I have some reservations. I always go for physical copies and this game has an expensive one, at least compared to what I'm used to pay. And, I know it's just me and this might sound like a silly reason not to play a game but I really hate when they use the same art image for all trophies with color differences... :(

You're welcome. Sure it's got flaws, not perfect but I enjoyed. I play what I like regardless of reviews, trophy images or cost. Not sure how to help you any further? I loved it but I love JRPG's so was going to play regardless  ;) 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2020 at 9:23 PM, stupot00 said:

I really enjoyed the game, story was really interesting and boss battles were fun. 

The only downside I could think of is that every new area you get to just has the same monsters but a different color so monster variety isn't great.

I remember hearing about monster variety in one of those reviews, didn't sound like a major problem. Thank you for posting your opinion!

On 1/8/2020 at 10:13 PM, Golden Devil Gamer said:

Just so you know, Crystar's user score used to be 6.7, but got inflated to a 9.5 because this one dude on ResetEra made a bunch of fake reviews. They also review-bombed AI: The Somnium Files, and although that got fixed up, Crystar's score hasn't been changed.

The actual situation was hilarious. The post I linked basically went in-depth on what the user scores used to be vs. what they are now. The way they explained the situation kinda gave away who actually did all the review bombing :giggle:

Thanks for sharing this, it was very enlightening!

Kinda disappointed though... Usually I don't pay much attention to user reviews, but when they are highly positive they get my attention because for people it's easier to give 0/10 than be objective with their reviews.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:18 PM, sunnydaleAlumni said:

You're welcome. Sure it's got flaws, not perfect but I enjoyed. I play what I like regardless of reviews, trophy images or cost. Not sure how to help you any further? I loved it but I love JRPG's so was going to play regardless  ;) 

Thanks again!

I'm not gonna buy it after reading about the fake reviews, but I'll keep it on my wishlist and when I complete enough games from my backlog I'll give the game a fair chance.

Edited by Kiyan-13