Offline trophies and avoiding missing timestamps

ShinVeNNoM

Hello,

I think I understand when missing timestamps happen from reading posts on the forums but I would like to have some clarification. I posted on an old topic so I probably won't get an answer there so I will paste it here if that's ok:

I am always syncing my trophies and profile every time I turn on and before turning off my consoles. If playing offline, before turning off the console, do we have to check the trophy list to update it, then go online and check them again to sync them properly?

I am currently on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 and the game is broken as hell and you can"t even play the levels in singleplayer. You have to join a lobby, or try to create a private lobby but it very rarely works, then after EACH objective you do, when going back to Freeskate, the game ALWAYS want to research a lobby even when you are in a private one. So basically I could complete the first level fine and was surprised to see many other players, but starting level 2, it take so long to get into a game, complete one objective and pretty much requires to restart the game every time because it locks into an infinite loading/search to get back to Freeskate. I would like to just play the game offline and re-connect the PS4 to the internet at the end of every play session to sync the trophies but I never did that and I don't want to get missing timestamps or ruining everything. 

I hope someone can give me details on how offline trophies work, when just disconnecting the PS4 from the internet for the duration of a play session (so the PS4 and the profile were up to date and been online before) and then connecting it again to sync the trophies. I'm guessing the clock would stay accurate but I would like to be sure before making a mistake.

Edited by ShinVeNNoM
  • Like 1

It's been a while since I thought about missing timestamps :P

You need to connect your system to the internet so the internal clock can get the time from the internet. From there, the PS4 will have timestamps even if you play offline unless you 1) completely factory reset your system or 2) Keep your system off and disconnected from electricity for so long that the internal clock dies. (we're talking months for this to happen)

• Like 1

As long as your console has connected to PSN, you can go offline with no issues whatsoever for timestamps. The only problem is if you boot up your PS4 one day and it prompts you to set the day and time, connect to PSN first before doing anything else, because the PS4 internal clock lost sync with PSN and needs to be connected. It shouldn't happen often because it means the tiny internal battery that powers the clock died and they tend to last a long time. Sometimes decades.

Playing offline or online back and forth will not impact your timestamps as long as you connected to the PSN at some point in the past.

13 minutes ago, ShinVeNNoM said:

I would like to just play the game offline and re-connect the PS4 to the internet at the end of every play session to sync the trophies but I never did that and I don't want to get missing timestamps or ruining everything. 

This situation would never result in missing timestamps.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ShinVeNNoM said:

Hello,

I think I understand when missing timestamps happen from reading posts on the forums but I would like to have some clarification. I posted on an old topic so I probably won't get an answer there so I will paste it here if that's ok:

I am always syncing my trophies and profile every time I turn on and before turning off my consoles. If playing offline, before turning off the console, do we have to check the trophy list to update it, then go online and check them again to sync them properly?

I am currently on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 and the game is broken as hell and you can"t even play the levels in singleplayer. You have to join a lobby, or try to create a private lobby but it very rarely works, then after EACH objective you do, when going back to Freeskate, the game ALWAYS want to research a lobby even when you are in a private one. So basically I could complete the first level fine and was surprised to see many other players, but starting level 2, it take so long to get into a game, complete one objective and pretty much requires to restart the game every time because it locks into an infinite loading/search to get back to Freeskate. I would like to just play the game offline and re-connect the PS4 to the internet at the end of every play session to sync the trophies but I never did that and I don't want to get missing timestamps or ruining everything. 

I hope someone can give me details on how offline trophies work, when just disconnecting the PS4 from the internet for the duration of a play session (so the PS4 and the profile were up to date and been online before) and then connecting it again to sync the trophies. I'm guessing the clock would stay accurate but I would like to be sure before making a mistake.

I use ethernet connection, but I have to plug it in each time I use the console. Since I mainly play offline, most of the times I don't even bother to plug it in. Whatever trophies I get while offline will then sync perfectly once I plug the cord and go online. This is the same for both PS3 and PS4.

I suppose you just need to make sure your internal clock is accurate, and then everything will run smoothly.

Edited by Gray-Fox-44
  • Like 1

Just now, Gray-Fox-44 said:

I use ethernet connection, but I have to plug it in each time I use the console. Since I mainly play offline, most of the times I don't even bother to plug it in. Whatever trophies I get while offline will then sync perfectly once I plug the cord and go online. This is the same for both PS3 and PS4.

I suppose you just need to make sure your system clock is accurate, and then everything will run smoothly.

The system clock that you see on the screen is independent of the internal clock - i.e. you can set your system clock to whatever you want but it won't affect your timestamps. 

1 minute ago, Kittet3 said:

The system clock that you see on the screen is independent of the internal clock - i.e. you can set your system clock to whatever you want but it won't affect your timestamps. 

That's what I meant, but I can see I didn't make myself clear. Just edited my post to avoid confusion! Thanks!

• Like 1