Getting a PS4 only made me love my PS3 even more

lettmon

On 1/27/2021 at 9:18 AM, lettmon said:

That's how I feel more or less. I think the average age of the games I play is around 10 years.

Much of what I see out of today's AAA games is honestly nothing all that new. It's been done before in the past, particularly with stuff like Far Cry 6 that Ubisoft will be releasing in the near future. I can't see any justification for me paying full price for a game on release date that's practically unfinished, then pay $30 - 40 more for a Season Pass which is basically all the DLC that comes later.

It has really gotten old and tiring. Now PS5 and Xbox Series X era games are or will be priced at $69.99 because there's been a $10 increase. For Canada it's even worse because Canadians have to pay even more money for new games than we Americans do.

I'm usually two to five years behind the curve anyway, there's just too many games I have to really keep up with the current trends and the news buzz that the so called gaming journalists throw out there. I prefer a GOTY edition because it comes with everything the game offered and I pay a lot less money for it. It's just that I have to wait a year or two AFTER the game initially comes out for me to see that opportunity, when most people have already moved on to newer games.

• Like 1

With the new gen prices, I'm tempted to play the PC version of a new multiplat first and get the PS5 version later when it goes on sale. Generally the PC version will not cost $69.99 for the base game. I feel that more than a few companies make a game then say "Ohkaaay, what can we cut out and release later in a season pass, so we can turn this into a $120 game?". And I'm not going to get started on those certain sports games (*cough* EA and 2K).

Something that bothers me is how some newer console games are using online-only DRM. Previously that BS was in just a few PC games. Godfall sounded nice at first, but now that I know it's online-only even for single player (on PC and PS5 BOTH), that's a no from me.

Trails of Cold Steel II is good but mildly disappointing on PS4. Unfortunately the no-limit draw distance feature wasn't brought over from the PC, meaning the pop-up from the PS3 version is ported over. Also some areas like Lunaria Nature Park and Legram under fog become framerate death zones (I guess playing on a PS5 would fix that). Falcom are pretty good about giving you a full game for your money, something more developers should emulate. Paying $70 for one of their games wouldn't bother me. Their DLC is all optional, mostly extra character outfits or extra item packs. You don't need the DLC to play the full game. If ToCS 1 came from another developer, maybe a third of the content would be cut out and put in a season pass, making it a $100+ game.

Witcher 3's extra content DLC doesn't feel like something that was held back for the sake of a season pass. CD Projekt Red made it feel like a proper expansion.

One letdown on PS4 is that there's no Ridge Racer 8. I think Namco killed that series over the poor reception of the Vita version... which is unjust, because the Vita RR is lukewarm. It has limited content and a lower frame rate compared to its PSP counterpart. I would actually pay $70 for a PS5 remaster of PS3 RR7. I'm not into the real simulator type driving games.

• Like 1