Little confused about these "PS4/PS5"

XpanderFX

Ok, this is becoming confusing...

Every PS4 game can be run on a PS5 benefiting also an improved performance. However there are cross-gen games like this that have native both versions. Now let's see i have a PS5. I should prefer the PS5 version because its "native". But, can i still run the PS4 version in order to get trophies for this version? Are we sure that the ps5 version its better than improved ps4 one? and what about dlc's? if i buy dlc's for ps4 version do i get them also for ps5? and if i do the opposite?

- Are we sure that the ps5 version its better than improved ps4 one?

whitout a patch for the ps4 version, the ps5 version will always run better.

no one will patch the ps4 game, if there is a ps5 version of it.

-But, can i still run the PS4 version in order to get trophies for this version? 

you can have both installed on your ps5. you can than select the version you want to run.

-if i buy dlc's for ps4 version do i get them also for ps5? and if i do the opposite

i think that depends on how the publischer wants to do it. 

14 minutes ago, Riftale said:

ok, i thought the improvement it's automatic. but now, that i think about it, in fact even ps4 pro upgrade needs a patch. there's wrote "ps4 pro enhanced" on the game's box...

-But, can i still run the PS4 version in order to get trophies for this version? 

you can have both installed on your ps5. you can than select the version you want to run.

ok...

-if i buy dlc's for ps4 version do i get them also for ps5? and if i do the opposite

and how to know this?

EDIT: ok i just noticed that, at least in the case of Control, all dlc's are included. I hate that ps plus free games that you have to buy dlc's/season pass in order to 100%

Edited by XpanderFX

1 minute ago, XpanderFX said:

ok, i thought the improvement it's automatic. but now, that i think about it, in fact even ps4 pro upgrade needs a patch. there's wrote "ps4 pro enhanced" on the game's box...

If there is ps4 pro enhanced options in a game on ps5 it is automatically set to that best version.

It's not that confusing. 

PS5 can play every game in backwards compability. If the game has enhanced options for pro they are automatically set to max. Some game have special PS5 versions with improved graphics/fps and dualsense support (triggers+haptics). Since you can play both version you are free to choose on PS5 which version you want, but PS5 version will always be default if avalaible. 

DLC will always work in backwards compatibility when playing PS4 version, for PS5 I believe most games currently give you PS5 DLC as well, since most games offer those free upgrades. I believe it's usually written in description of said DLC in PSN store

oK, we're specifically about Control, this game it's not just backward compatible, it has a ps5 upgraded version. 

Now that you mentioned ps4pro, ps4pro improves over ps4 vanilla in most cases, then ps5 version it's very hard to be worse than ps4 version, AND if that would be the case, at this moment you would have tons of threads stating than ps5 version is trash.

About the DLC, for what I know there's only one ps5 version, the ultimate edition which has everything, that's why ps+ in this moment is giving both complete editions, because the ps5 is included.

Do you have problems accessing both ultimate editions?

17 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

oK, we're specifically about Control, this game it's not just backward compatible, it has a ps5 upgraded version. 

Now that you mentioned ps4pro, ps4pro improves over ps4 vanilla in most cases, then ps5 version it's very hard to be worse than ps4 version, AND if that would be the case, at this moment you would have tons of threads stating than ps5 version is trash.

About the DLC, for what I know there's only one ps5 version, the ultimate edition which has everything, that's why ps+ in this moment is giving both complete editions, because the ps5 is included.

Do you have problems accessing both ultimate editions?

well no, my question is general regarding all games. ive posted here because i thought at first that control is another game i'll need to buy dlc's in order to get 100%. only after, i noticed its completed edition. but the question remains as now there will tons of cross-gen games, and dont know how to do in case of sales. let's say there will be sales for a season pass for the ps4 version of a ps4/ps5 game. i can buy it then decide if play now on ps4 or maybe after 2 years on ps5... but it seems that this trick will not work on all games. also i dont know if prices for these games will be identical for both platforms (games as well as dlc's) or maybe will be cross-buy

Edited by XpanderFX

2 hours ago, XpanderFX said:

well no, my question is general regarding all games. ive posted here because i thought at first that control is another game i'll need to buy dlc's in order to get 100%. only after, i noticed its completed edition. but the question remains as now there will tons of cross-gen games, and dont know how to do in case of sales. let's say there will be sales for a season pass for the ps4 version of a ps4/ps5 game. i can buy it then decide if play now on ps4 or maybe after 2 years on ps5... but it seems that this trick will not work on all games. also i dont know if prices for these games will be identical for both platforms (games as well as dlc's) or maybe will be cross-buy

ok, ok, you're confusing yourself. it's not the same a ps4/ps5 game than a game which has a ps5 native version.

Almost all ps4 games are ps4/ps5 because you can run them (the whole thing, game and dlc) on ps5.

There are games enhanced ps4pro games or enhanced in general because the developer didn't want to invest money to develop a native ps5 version, so they decided to make them run smoother. Atelier ryza2 is a clear example. All those games are also ps4/ps5 games, you buy the stuff on ps4 and you'll play the most optimized version on ps5.

But remember, not all ps4 games has an enhanced free ps5 version, it's up to the developer.

Control, is a different animal, ps5 version has been treated as a ps5 native game, that's why consumers were pissed because they think that even with the ps5 improvements is still the same game, so people who bought ps4 vanilla do not have ps5 free upgrade, they need to buy the ps5 version, no discounts, rebuy the game.

For what I know no ps5 native version has being given away yet just because you bought the ps4 version.

Finally, nobody knows if price for both platforms will be/stay the same, at this moment some has $10 increase.

Edited by GoldenShaka

1 hour ago, GoldenShaka said:

ok, ok, you're confusing yourself. it's not the same a ps4/ps5 game than a game which has a ps5 native version.

Almost all ps4 games are ps4/ps5 because you can run them (the whole thing, game and dlc) on ps5.

There are games enhanced ps4pro games or enhanced in general because the developer didn't want to invest money to develop a native ps5 version, so they decided to make them run smoother. Atelier ryza2 is a clear example. All those games are also ps4/ps5 games, you buy the stuff on ps4 and you'll play the most optimized version on ps5.

But remember, not all ps4 games has an enhanced free ps5 version, it's up to the developer.

Control, is a different animal, ps5 version has been treated as a ps5 native game, that's why consumers were pissed because they think that even with the ps5 improvements is still the same game, so people who bought ps4 vanilla do not have ps5 free upgrade, they need to buy the ps5 version, no discounts, rebuy the game.

For what I know no ps5 native version has being given away yet just because you bought the ps4 version.

Finally, nobody knows if price for both platforms will be/stay the same, at this moment some has $10 increase.

ehm, no again. for ps4/ps5 game i intend those who have ps4/ps5 separated trophy lists that's also the same that have two versions on the store (cyberpunk, bugsnax, control etc.) 

Check out Digital Foundry on YouTube.  They made a 20 min video comparing the versions of the game.

4 hours ago, Riftale said:

- Are we sure that the ps5 version its better than improved ps4 one?

4 hours ago, XpanderFX said:

Ok, this is becoming confusing...

Every PS4 game can be run on a PS5 benefiting also an improved performance. However there are cross-gen games like this that have native both versions. Now let's see i have a PS5. I should prefer the PS5 version because its "native". But, can i still run the PS4 version in order to get trophies for this version? Are we sure that the ps5 version its better than improved ps4 one? and what about dlc's? if i buy dlc's for ps4 version do i get them also for ps5? and if i do the opposite?